What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everyone please do this/regarding Origin 2 and Channel 9

Beaussie

First Grade
Think about it. If you were Channel 9 and the ratings were fantastic resulting in a victory for that timeslot, why would you dump the prime time coverage.
#-o

El Diablo

Post Whore
Beaussie said:
Think about it. If you were Channel 9 and the ratings were fantastic resulting in a victory for that timeslot, why would you dump the prime time coverage.
#-o

I think the last time it was shown live in Vic was 26 jun 2002??

It got 253k viewers then. Hardly a disaster if that was prime time in Vic.

As to why they'd dump it. Becuse they were SCARED it might attract AFL viewers to the game.

Beaussie

First Grade
Now I ask you the question, have you got a source for that 253k figure El Duque?

As for your next comment, it sounds like the typical conspiracy theories about the treatment of RL in Victoria. Why can't you accept the fact that the majority of Victorians don't like RL. If that wasn't the case wouldn't Olympic Park be filled every home game? Surely that shouldn't be hard in a city of 3.6 million with a ground capacity of 20,000 max.

Costaki

Juniors
Beaussie said:
Now I ask you the question, have you got a source for that 253k figure El Duque?

As for your next comment, it sounds like the typical conspiracy theories about the treatment of RL in Victoria. Why can't you accept the fact that the majority of Victorians don't like RL. If that wasn't the case wouldn't Olympic Park be filled every home game? Surely that shouldn't be hard in a city of 3.6 million with a ground capacity of 20,000 max.

were is ur proof of the origin game which was telecast live didnt get good ratings. i dont want u to say cause they didnt show it live the next series i want official figures

Surandy

Bench
Costaki, you won't get official sources off Beaussie as he doesn't believe in facts.

El Duque, if the last two years are anything to go on then those figures would've been higher if Nein had advertised the match. I can't recall when I last saw Nein advertising any upcoming RL telecasts. Although they don't mind advertising AFL games throughout RL telecasts.

Beaussie

First Grade
Fact is that SOO was a ratings disaster for Channel 9 Melbourne. Please do try and prove me wrong with your facts and TV figures. As I said programs that rate well, don't end up losing their prime time status. Surely you would agree.

It basically all boils down to the fact that the majority of Victorians are not interested in a game of RL between NSW and QLD. I mean Victorians don't even support the Storm. So why would they support QLD or NSW in a game most Victorians don't even like.

Surandy

Bench
Beaussie, you were the one that claimed it was a "ratings disaster" so how about you prove your claims.

And where's your facts that Victorians don't support the Storm?

Beaussie

First Grade
Surandy said:
Beaussie, you were the one that claimed it was a "ratings disaster" so how about you prove your claims.

As I've said, programs that rate well don't end up losing their prime time status.

Surandy said:

6,000 - 8,000 average crowds even when the Storm have won a premiership and are regular finals contenders, not to mention the fact that there are 3.6 million potential supporters in Melbourne.

Surandy

Bench
And of that 3.6 million potential supporters nearly all of them have been brought up on the local religion, oops I mean sport.

A large portion of that 3.6 million do support Storm unfortunately not to the point of attending games. That is part of why Storm are trying to focus on getting Melburnians to make Storm their second team. But trouble with that is they won't attend if their first team is playing.

Beaussie, do you see AFL ads in Sydney?

Rexxy

Coach
well they didnt win the Premiership, they were given it. And no-one appreciates something they got for nothing.

But...Nine would have a different attitude to the game, if they didn't also hold the rights to the AFL. They simply didnt promote or play SOO because it is in direct conflict with the property that is their more long term bread and butter

Beaussie

First Grade
It makes you wonder where RL is headed considering Channel 9 puts more promotion into the AFL and Channel 7,9 and 10 will once again battle it out in a massive bidding war for the next AFL broadcasting rights.

The NRL TV rights will once again be the consolation prize to the network that misses out on the big prize of the AFL.

Surandy, the AFL demanded as part of the broadcasting agreement that the commercial networks put on free advertising. In answer to your question, yes I have seen many different AFL ads over the years. :D

I've also seen the NRL promo "That's My Team" - not very often though I must admit.

zulu

Juniors
Beaussie said:
Just out of interest, why would Victorians be interested in a RL game between NSW and QLD?

Why would Sydneysiders be interested in any AFL game? Not even highly promoted Swans games can come third in their timeslot.

zulu

Juniors
Beaussie said:
Surandy said:

As I've said, programs that rate well don't end up losing their prime time status.

Surandy said:

6,000 - 8,000 average crowds even when the Storm have won a premiership and are regular finals contenders, not to mention the fact that there are 3.6 million potential supporters in Melbourne.

Back when the Storm won the premiership they averaged 12,000-15,000 crowds. That's when the scumbag Vic media should've got behind them a little bit more because they deserved it, but they didn't. The media has ignored them ever since.

Melbourne can have Origin if Sydney can have live/primetime AFL that noboady watches.

Beaussie said:
Surandy said:

Surandy said:

1 Premiership and 1 World Club Challenge (Do AFL have that?)

Compared to umm ohhh ummm oh ummm ohhh ummm

storm007

Juniors
Quote from Robbie Kearns in todays HS :clap:

Just on the Origin, what do we have to do to get Channel 9 to show the game live into Melbourne? To put rugby league's showpiece on after 11pm is ridiculous.

If the NRL and ARL are serious about growing the game in Melbourne, then they have to ensure their official broadcaster gives it a chance.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beaussie

First Grade
The official broadcaster did give SOO a chance in prime time. However, it was a ratings disaster. Perhaps when the Storm can prove they have more than 6,000 - 8,000 core supporters, then and only then SOO may be given another chance in primetime. Until then it seems obvious that Victorians don't care much for RL, particularly a game involving NSW and QLD.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Here we go again, Beaussie, notice a lapse in your posting on a number of post over the past few weeks.

Main ones that prove you are full of crap.

SoO in the past 6 years has been shown only twice live. the first one with promotion and had 425,000 watch the game in Melbourne, the second one already posted.

I found it very interesting that a number of AFL radio boardcasters on Thursday (in Melb) said it was a disgrace that nine didn't put it on at a better time.

There was 70,000 people watch the game in Melbourne on Wednesday with the game starting after 11.00pm, not bad at all. Even Nine were pleased and amazed with the figures.

One of the biggest AFL pro boardcaster Clinton something or other was on 3AW and said it was a poor effort by a television station to hold the rights to such a great sporting event and not show it live. He also said that he hope game 2 and 3 would be shown live.

Since the game was late in most places in Australia (NSW and Brisbane excluded) what a great figure to watch the game. Over 3 million total....mmm sounds good to me. (figure mentioned by Clinton on 3AW)

Giddy up

Another thing that Beaussie wont AGAIN reply too. (Offical figures)

2003 AFL Grand Final was watched by 325,212 (live) in Sydney
2003 NRL Grand Final was wacthed by 488,838 (slight delayed) in Melbourne.

Looks like the AFL is finished in Sydney :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Game shown live and you still can't get good figures after how many years and how much money now?

Beaussie

First Grade
The NRL GF is on a Sunday night prime time whilst the AFL GF is Saturday afternoon when many people are doing other things. Must say those figures for Sydney are very impressive when those factors are taken into consideration. Very disappointing for the NRL in Melbourne on a Sunday night prime time. What's the bet the NRL GF didn't win its timeslot in Victoria?

And can you lot please explain to me why a high rating program (as you suggest SOO in Victoria is) would be pushed back to 11pm? Surely it is not another Melbourne media conspiracy theory. #-o

I suppose Friday night AFL will no longer be broadcast in Victoria now as even though the ratings are fantastic, Channel 9 just doesn't care for ratings. :roll: