What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans and members deserve better

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Salary Cap is a mess PRIMARILY because of Inglis and The Burgess Clan. They absorb a large share of the Cap BUT their PRODUCTIVITY is getting progressively worse. You should start reading up on Bill Belichick and the Dallas Cowboys. Both are at the top in The NFL and both adopt a similar PHILOSOPHY. DO NOT OVER PAY FADING FREE AGENTS OR BIG NAME PLAYERS it will put the TEAM in Salary Cap HELL. Stuff what they have done and their name. Belichick has cut some of HIS BEST PLAYERS and analysts are shocked BUT the team remains dominant. Its quite amazing as a study of EFFICIENT MANAGEMENT and PRODUCTIVITY. Its about IMMEDIATE TERM PRODUCTION and getting as many productive players into the team as possible. Usually these are YOUNGER TALENTED players mixed in with a few savvy veterans who fit the Coaching system and Philosophy. Go your own way and your'e done. Dallas is actually becoming an envied MODEL for the NFL as the club used to overpay for Big Name Free Agents then down the track had to cut a host of players to get under The Cap. Bad Management BUT that has now been abandoned.

You could very well be right but I Sam is our best performer so I wouldn't know who to replace him with? There's not as much talent in the NRL as there is in the NFL.

greg jay

Juniors
But Curns doesn't see this on here.

He wants to continue with mediocrity.

If I say we have to many NSW Cup players all the trolls come out to play. It was quite concerning against Brisbane with AJ, Talakai, Jennings and Turner plus Clark. The signs were there.

AR is also a big problem. He's so out of form and he's made of glass.

Our recruitment is shithouse. Before the start of the season guys on here said we recruited well. I told em we didn't but they just tried saying I should be banned off here. Those guys (Rsag they keep lashing out at me so I'll call them for what they are) are don't knowers with no idea and want mediocrity!!!!!!!!!

Our 2002 team had a go. They didn't even try last night or put their bodies on the line like the 2002 side did. What a disgrace they are to the old boys.

I wouldn't boo my side but many did last night. They asked Sam in the press conference how he felt about that and he said he just had to get into the changeorom to hear Madge. Well Sam they ain't f**king listening are they!!!!!!!! We have to move on Sam said. In the meantime when it was said about the booing Madge was nearly in tears!!!!!!!

I don't think we will see results for the next couple of years but we need to see a transformation starting. Just give us something.................
Maguire has no right to be upset. He has picked Talakai for 6 games. The team is 1-5 with Talakai as a starting centre and 2-0 SANS Talakai. Every opponent knows Talakai is HOPELESS as a centre and they all exploit him accordingly. Maguire... Does he fail to see thus??? REALLY???

Rabbits20

Immortal
Alright settle down, I forgot about that Dogs game.

You don't get what I'm saying. Round 1, the last 20 minutes of Round 7 and last night were the only real games we gave up and layed down. All our other games we put up a fight but just couldn't execute, whether that be in attack or defence.

I know we have a few problems. I wasn't around last season so I wouldn't know if it was the same but this year after every loss, it seems some on here over react and it's all negative. Yes we were terrible last night everyone knows that and we have some soul searching to do but you have to look at all our other games.

It's the same when we win, some guys will carry on about how good we are and over react.

Now, I'm not saying we're still going to have a good season and we are in a whole but some on here just need to chill out a bit.

We need to find consistency. It's not good enough to come out one week all guns blazing and the next not even turn up.

Some of you will dissagree but that's just my opinion.
I understand what you're saying about execution. It's also up to individuals who are letting the team down at critical moments too.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Financial management? Our salary cap is a mess? Thats why the quality of our 17 isn't as good as some of the top teams?
But if they'd all signed on for minimum wage it would excuse poor performance because they're cheap?

Ignore what's they're payed under the cap and that our no1 player is injured, isn't the COACH supposed to work all players on all salaries into a working cohesive unit?

Yes or no

I tell you what...these blokes are owed more by our current players.

[The article is a couple of years old but still worth reading]

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...w/news-story/99555cbd914ac4a6dd8b8bc63a42e35c

1989 Rabbitohs: Where are they now?
Nick Walshaw, DailyTelegraph
September 6, 2013 12:00am

PAUL Roberts lost an eye for everything that made them great. "Yeah, pub fight," the 1989 Rabbitoh shrugs.
“There were two guys, big fellas, laying into my cousin. So, you know, whaddya do?

“I’ve gone running in to help but, as I did, one of them turned and glassed me. Drove it right into my face . . .”

A Sydney bricklayer for 34 years and counting, Roberts is also the anonymous heartbeat for that most revered, recited and recollected Rabbitohs side of the modern era — the Class Of 1989.

And he has to be.

Same deal Port Macquarie truckie Bruce Longbotton. Or Port Botany wharfie Steve Mavin.

“And if you wanna find Craig Coleman,” Souths historian Brad Ryder says, “I know he collects my garbage bins every Monday morning.”

Yep, while the current Rabbitohs are a humming mix of Hollywood dollars and Queenslander brilliance — of no less than eight men who boast Australian, English or New Zealand Test caps — the last mob of Redfern minor premiers weren’t quite so shiny.

No, success in ’89 was built on the type of fellas who turned cards at the Georges Hotel. Who would miss future reunions serving jail time.

Unshakable types who would tear in to help a mate . . . even when schooner glasses were being broken on tables.

“Oh, a complete mob of rascals,” grins skipper Mario Fenech.

“And, sure, every one of us had our failings. But when we linked arms in that circle before games, when we looked each other in the eye . . . in 15 years of first grade I never saw anyone else look back at me like it.”

Which is why, while everyone remembers this mob as the side which dropped the ball — quite literally in the case of Mavin — the real story is how, under the tutelege of coach George Piggins, they got within a whisker of the grand final in the first place.

How 22 years after his last game, Bronko Djura still has folk walk into the Wentforth Falls bowling club he manages and, upon hearing that famed moniker, ask to shout the old fullback a beer.

“Although if my parents had named me, oh, I dunno, Paul Smith,” he grins, “you would’ve forgotten me five minutes after I gave it away.”

Certainly there may be a little truth to that.

For while Les Davidson earned five Test jerseys and Phil Blake a Tooheys commercial, centre Mark Lyons works the Bunnies’ dressing-room door on game days with almost the entire office staff having no idea who he is.

Elsewhere, “Turtle” Rampling is in construction. Ross Harrington runs the Lithgow Driving School. While lock Mark Andrews, well, he was just another face in that English crowd when our Jillaroos won the Women’s World Cup recently.

“I’ve got seven kids and my daughter Emily, she was part of the side,” Andrews says.

“It’s not exactly nice to see your daughter getting bashed around, but to beat New Zealand for the first time ever — incredible. Especially when the Kiwis had already made shirts with ‘Let’s Go, Four In A Row’.”

Asked about his own team’s achievements in ’89, when after 13 straight wins they would eventually bow out of the finals on consecutive losses, the warehouse boss continues: “That side found ways to win when we had no right to.

“And, yes, when it came to the crunch we came up short. But, geez, I thought we played above ourselves to get there.”

Davidson agrees. Now working a crane at the Port Botany wharves, the ageing enforcer credits “more attitude than skill” for them conceding only 31 tries all year.

“At one stage we even agreed to get off the drink,” Davidson grins. “Back then, that was a huge pact. But just like when we did go out, it was a case of one in, all in.”

Which is why, 24 years on, these footballers still know the whereabouts of every mate. Why they meet more regularly than premierships sides and, as was the case over more than a few beers last Friday night at ANZ Stadium, pick up straight from where the last gag left off.

Like asking a one-eyed brickie how straight he now lays them?

“Funny thing was, I wasn’t even supposed to be at the pub that afternoon,” Roberts recalls. “It was a work day but, because it started to rain, the boss called us off early, took everyone to the pub.

“And, you know, I wasn't even staying long. But then the trouble started and when it’s family, when it’s a mate . . . well, whaddya do?”

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

1. Bronko Djura - Wentworth Falls Bowling Club Manager
2. Ross Harrington - Lithgow driving instructor
3. Steve O'Dea - Sales representative
4. Steve Mavin - Wharfie
5. Graham Lyons - Construction worker
6. Phil Blake - Manly rugby coach
7. Craig Coleman - Garbo
8. David Boyle - Cronulla strength and conditioning coach
9. Jim Serdaris - Electrician
10. Mario Fenech - NRL ambassador, Channel Nine personality
11. Les Davidson - Wharfie
12. Wayne Chisholm - Gold Coast builder
13. Michael Andrews - Warehouse manager

Interchange:
14. Mark Lyons - Wharfie
15. Tony Rampling - Construction worker
16. Bruce Longbottom - Port Macquarie truck driver
17. Paul Roberts - Bricklayer

Coach: George Piggins - Businessman, nursery owner

Buy Paterika Vaivai from the Titans. I've seen him in a few games and his leg drive is phenomenal. Hands down he's better than Clark and Turner. He'd waltz into our side to start at prop no contest. I would even take Pulu off them too.

We need to sign Latrell Mitchell as well.

We still have major problems though.

Vaivai has only been a park footballer too and this bloke Boyle who looked powerful for the Titans today.

Heck there is heaps out there who are better than Clark and Turner who aren't regular first graders at other clubs.

Enough is enough Souths recruitment team. Have they just got their feet up having a good old time????? Fug.

Agreed re Mitchell.Has to happen.

greg jay

Juniors
Salary Cap Football demands that teams must CONSTANTLY RE-TOLL and churn their rosters for sustained success. Crowe and Richardson have happily HUNG onto the PAST with Inglis + Burgess Clan. It has hit the reef and yet they still believe in them and in Maguire. Maguire has proven this: He is a Good Coach for a LIMITED TIME PERIOD. After that 3 years comes a COLLAPSE. The Burgess Clan and Inglis are riding the team into the ground there is NO DOUGH to attract good up and coming players because of The Cap Space they consume. Until the Hierarchy agrees and acts to implement a new plan get set for more drubbings.

greg jay

Juniors
I agree with your points JetRider.

To be fair about you saying we're not having a go R20, yes last night was awful and none of our players looked like they wanted to be there but for most of the season, the effort has been good. The only times we didn't have a go was Round 1 (which is forgivable given the circumstances) and last night. In every other game we had a go. Execution just let us down in some games.
The "effort" for the past 33 games... A significant sample size is a 36.3% winning record! Its pathetic and Maguire has badly managed the personnel. How do you LOSE TWO YOUNG STARTING CENTRES that won you a title??? Walker should have been THE ONE guy Maguire REFUSED TO LET GO. POINT BLANK REFUSED! IMBECILE!!!

callmack1

Staff member
The "effort" for the past 33 games... A significant sample size is a 36.3% winning record! Its pathetic and Maguire has badly managed the personnel. How do you LOSE TWO YOUNG STARTING CENTRES that won you a title??? Walker should have been THE ONE guy Maguire REFUSED TO LET GO. POINT BLANK REFUSED! IMBECILE!!!
I wasn't talking about last season because we all know the effort wasn't there, I was only talking about this season.

Also we got rid of one of our young centres because of a drugs breach and Walker was being a little shit.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Salary Cap is a mess PRIMARILY because of Inglis and The Burgess Clan. They absorb a large share of the Cap BUT their PRODUCTIVITY is getting progressively worse. You should start reading up on Bill Belichick and the Dallas Cowboys. Both are at the top in The NFL and both adopt a similar PHILOSOPHY. DO NOT OVER PAY FADING FREE AGENTS OR BIG NAME PLAYERS it will put the TEAM in Salary Cap HELL. Stuff what they have done and their name. Belichick has cut some of HIS BEST PLAYERS and analysts are shocked BUT the team remains dominant. Its quite amazing as a study of EFFICIENT MANAGEMENT and PRODUCTIVITY. Its about IMMEDIATE TERM PRODUCTION and getting as many productive players into the team as possible. Usually these are YOUNGER TALENTED players mixed in with a few savvy veterans who fit the Coaching system and Philosophy. Go your own way and your'e done. Dallas is actually becoming an envied MODEL for the NFL as the club used to overpay for Big Name Free Agents then down the track had to cut a host of players to get under The Cap. Bad Management BUT that has now been abandoned.
But isn't this what we have done?
We've signed up and coming young players like Burns, Talakai, Jennings, Fuimaono,
Connor Tracey, Greinke to go with juniors we've got coming through Like Murray and Critchon.
We let guys go like Isaac and McQueen and Teo chose to leave.
The club gets criticised on this forum for not being active in the player market but maybe this is because we are as you put it " not overpaying fading free agents or big name players".

I think we have done this in the past and we are now paying the price for this but sometimes it's a lot easier to cast judgement in hindsight.

At the time we re-signed the twins I'm sure everyone thought they were worth the coin they were offered.

Managing a football club is not a peace of piss but all the choads on this forum seem to think they could do a better job.

As Joeys Johns said... you win the comp and then you think you going to win it every year.
It ain't that easy.

Smirrors

Juniors
Also we got rid of one of our young centres because of a drugs breach and Walker was being a little shit.

Whilst that was the case I think it was poorly managed by everyone. If he was so important to the team, he could have been counselled better. In stead I suspect Macguires hard line approach didn't fit well with a younger guy still learning the ropes.

Many players have gone on to do really well after disciplinary reasons. Just be thankful you aren't raiders supporter who lost Carney, Fergusson and Dugan all within a short time frame.

Smirrors

Juniors
We've signed up and coming young players like Burns, Talakai, Jennings, Fuimaono,
Connor Tracey, Greinke to go with juniors we've got coming through Like Murray and Critchon.

Too many young up and coming players at the one time. The teams that do it well introduce 1 or 2 at a time and develop them with good experienced players. Bryson Goodwin is not a role model.

callmack1

Staff member
Whilst that was the case I think it was poorly managed by everyone. If he was so important to the team, he could have been counselled better. In stead I suspect Macguires hard line approach didn't fit well with a younger guy still learning the ropes.

Many players have gone on to do really well after disciplinary reasons. Just be thankful you aren't raiders supporter who lost Carney, Fergusson and Dugan all within a short time frame.
Yea I was dissapointed when we lost Auva'a. He's a great player and how good was he in 2014? A big part of our premiership.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade

oi R20 They dont know what their talking about i think they dribble shiiiit on here for the hell of it,we lost far better players in teo,walker,bully.....! Plus mcqueen,koroisau,auvaa,and co.....Shadow...

greg jay

Juniors
We let guys go like Isaac and McQueen and Teo chose to leave.
The club gets criticised on this forum for not being active in the player market but maybe this is because we are as you put it " not overpaying fading free agents or big name players".

I think we have done this in the past and we are now paying the price for this but sometimes it's a lot easier to cast judgement in hindsight.

At the time we re-signed the twins I'm sure everyone thought they were worth the coin they were offered.

Managing a football club is not a peace of piss but all the choads on this forum seem to think they could do a better job.

As Joeys Johns said... you win the comp and then you think you going to win it every year.
It ain't that easy.
I have to say what I stated one more time. I hope you listen this time around. The production and productivity of Inglis and the Burgess Brothers has collapsed to a point where their Salary Cap numbers cannot be at all justified. Belichick and even Stephen Jones and Will McLay at Dallas they would have LET INGLIS LEAVE and then put the Burgess Brothers under notice that they are next. The Twins most likely would have been cut or at least one of them. The rubble at the lower end of the roster Tyrell Clark Turner Goodwin Talakai etc etc would be offered absolute minimum deals or let leave... most likely the latter. They would NOT be in the club's plans. What is then utilised is GOOD SCOUTING and signing new more productive players most of whom are salary Cap friendly. Now perhaps Burns Jennings Fuimaono et al are not very good - the jury is still out - but the quality of new players depends on the quality of scouting AND the Head Coach. It should be part of the HC job as HE has to prepare the team. It seems as though Maguire is a very poor judge of talent and building a roster.

Latest posts