What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fewest wins in a season (NRL era)

ed-grimley

Bench
because he doesnt have the cattle to do much better. i thought the knights would actually be competitive this year, Brownie has a good record of taking poorly performing teams and improving them, but this team is too young and inexperienced. Brownie should be scouting superleague and trying to find some decent toilers in the vein of Hodgson and whitehead to bring over who are going to have a go

i see warrington has some good halves
Chris Sandow?

Charlie124

First Grade
You mean like the Cowboys of late?
No, I mean like 50uff$ of 2016.
Cows have lost to the Storm without JT, Tigers on a Sunday arvo at Leichardt (both forgivable losses) and the Roosters in their best game of the season, not that that's an excuse, that was a poor effort.

ram raid

Bench
Nathan Brown has the best just he can smile and say "I'm proud of the boys" after his team gets thrashed.

JJ

Immortal
As an outsider I'm staggered that there is some reality in which people think Brown has done a good job

Just ridiculous performances week in week out

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you were to compare all the teams who had only won 3 games or less in a season since 1908 (of which there are 108 sides) and ranked them all based on win % and points difference per game, you'd get a fairly accurrate portrayal as to which sides were the worst.

Well I did that. Here's the top ten starting from worst.

1937 University - Played 8, won 0, drew 0, lost 8, for 41, against 309
1921 University - Played 8, won 0, drew 0, lost 8, for 82, against 292
1935 University - Played 16, won 0, drew 0, lost 16, for 109, against 529
1920 Annandale - Played 13, won 0, drew 0, lost 13, for 59, against 382
1918 Annandale - Played 14, won 0, drew 0, lost 14, for 73, against 316
2016* Newcastle - Played 23, won 1, drew 1, lost 21, for 279, against 772
1966 Easts - Played 18, won 0, drew 0, lost 18, for 147, against 446
1936 University - Played 14, won 1, drew 0, lost 13, for 99, against 414
1946 Souths - Played 14, won 0, drew 0, lost 14, for 124, against 353
1910 Wests - Played 14, won 1, drew 0, lost 13, for 117, against 386

Other more recent sides:
13th - 1984 Wests - Played 24, won 1, drew 0, lost 23, for 244, against 620
15th - 1993 Gold Coast - Played 22, won 1, drew 0, lost 21, for 229, against 572
16th - 1995 North Queensland - Played 22, won 2, drew 0, lost 20, for 269, against 660
21st - 1999 Wests - Played 24, won 3, drew 0, lost 21, for 285, against 944
23rd - 1990 Souths - Played 22, won 2, drew 0, lost 20, for 302, against 652
30th - 1995 Parramatta - Played 22, won 3, drew 0, lost 19, for 310, against 690
35th - 1991 Gold Coast - Played 22, won 2, drew 1, lost 19, for 240, against 492
36th - 2006 Souths - Played 24, won 3, drew 0, lost 21, for 429, against 772

7 teams have been winless in a year
Only Wests in 1984 had won a game but had a worst win % than Newcastle. But if the Knights lose in Round 26, then that would change, so that the only sides who have had a worse win % in a season than the knights this year, are the 7 teams who never won a game all year.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think Brown has got off lightly with the media on how the knights have performed. Sure he has a young side but he's not the first to have that. Last time I looked being young didnt mean you couldnt tackle.

But Brownie is a nice bloke blah blah blah.

Any side with this many rookies would struggle.
Any side who had to use 35 players in a season would struggle.
Any side with the injuries to the few key players they have would struggle.
Any side with only one player capable of playing Origin would struggle.

Any one of these reasons would be a good enough excuse for fans of most clubs, as seen most weeks, but not many have all of them covered.

And it's better than cheating and still winning nothing.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
1 win in a season isn't struggling. 1 win in a season means the defibrillator is on and the priest is on his way.

Too many excuses. 1 win is 1 win never mind how young they are, how many origin players they have etc.

Paullyboy

Coach
1 win in a season isn't struggling. 1 win in a season means the defibrillator is on and the priest is on his way.

Too many excuses. 1 win is 1 win never mind how young they are, how many origin players they have etc.
Agreed. I don't think anyone expected the Knights to push for a top 6 spot, but they have been historically bad despite having several origin players. Their team really isn't that bad.

They led the Raiders 22-0 in Canberra in the middle of our best season in two decades. That doesn't happen by fluke. I am (very well) aware that the Raiders don't try when we're favourites, but still, they aren't that bad of a team.

The fact Brown still has a job is simply incredible.

Faders fans trying to make their shit efforts against them seem less shit by talking them up. Bizarre.

They had a bloke from the Newcastle comp play first grade for them a few weeks back and now he's back playing there again. When was the last time a club had to pull players from the third tier?

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
ECT should surely be mentioned in that list, the amount of losses he had with the Hayne scenario should put him well up there.

he's having another red hot go in this thread.

adamkungl

Immortal
I lean towards this roster being far too shit for Brown to do anything other than completely rebuild it. Even so, it is amazing they've only got 1 win. I think it says more about the high quality of the other 15 teams than it does Newcastle. Roosters, clearly the 2nd worst team in the comp, have a pretty solid roster and knocked off last yrs grand finalists a few weeks ago.

Brown's success will be defined by his recruitment this summer and whether they at least are a chance of making the finals next year.

Looking at the side they named last week, they have total garbage in a lot of positions.
Realistically to not come last they need to recruit at least 1 excellent back, 1 good half, an experienced hooker, and an experienced prop.
To make the finals, basically double that.

There are a lot of players around that could be picked up
Jamal Idris, James Segayaro, David Mead, Jorge Taufua, Sam Moa, Elijah Taylor.
Shit take a look at the Challnge Cup final from the other night and see if any of the poms or expats who want to prove themselves in a real first grade comp.