Finals week 2 - Eels v cowboys

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Joshuatheeel, Sep 10, 2017.

1. oldmancraigy

oldmancraigy Coach

Yeah, it was like the textbook play on how not to defend Bowen.
    The whole team had a brain explosion that day.

2. BoneyBlake17

BoneyBlake17 Juniors

Same age as me champion i was 11 too. The friday before the game was footy jersey day so every one at school had a parra or dragons jersey because it seemed it was going to be an eels dragons grand final.

I remember getting the train in and discussing with mum and dad about how we were going to get grand final tickets i was that confident.

Obscene Assassin likes this.
  3. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Immortal

I was at both games. Good times.

EelsFan05 likes this.
  4. Incorrect

Incorrect Bench

I've got a mate who basically went off league altogether after that 2005 Prelim.... He was at the Eels/Dogs Prelim in 1998 and was like us all at the end of that one, absolutely shattered. He's a bit of a lippy fella and was giving it to a Bulldog fan mate of ours that day when we were 16 up or whatever it was. He copped it deluxe when the Dogs ended up winning....

He persevered and was left disappointed again in the 2001 GF.... Come 2005, there was a bunch of us out on the Saturday night watching the Tigers/Dragons Prelim..... When the Tigers won that night, he was wooping it up, telling everyone the premiership was in the bag, there was no way the Tigers would beat us in the big one.... And then Sunday happened.....

That was the end of his rugby league following... He was always a soccer fan (Man U) anyway so he just started concentrating on EPL after that - the Eels left him broken-hearted I think.... To make it worse, he's now a GWS season ticket holder.... he never follwed the game until they entered the comp....

Stevie likes this.
  5. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Immortal

My sister was a mad keen Eels fan until that game in 1998. She was gutted. That kind of capitulation was unforgivable for some and rightly so. f**k every merkin who played in that game. Anyway it was about the same time she discovered boys so that probably helped her move on.

Anyway she's in her mid 30s now and back on the Parra bandwagon so old habits die hard. Her kids go for Parra too.

6. Stevie

Stevie Juniors

Its funny imagining you with a sister. I often wondered if you were some sort of AI with a focus on upsetting people that take themselves too seriously.

7. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Immortal

Let me tell you, she has the best sense of humour of any chick you'll ever meet. She's a legend.

lingard likes this.
  8. Incorrect

Incorrect Bench

Growing up with you as a brother.... I'd say she needed a sense of humour....

Stevie likes this.
  9. Tooooks

Tooooks Juniors

I was watching the '98 prelim on my own. I turned the TV off before they kicked the conversion to even the score. I knew we were gone. To this day I have not watched the rest of that game and probably won't until we win the comp.

For some reason, losing a preliminary final is worse than losing the big one.

Poupou Escobar likes this.
  10. EelsFan05

EelsFan05 Juniors

Enough of the negative talk. I've only recently got out of therapy for the footy period covering 97-05. Pump up merkins!!

hineyrulz and Gronk like this.
  11. Noise

Noise First Grade

Yep, the lead up to a grand final is f**king awesome and getting there is a huge effort.

12. Noise

Noise First Grade

Alright. Positivity!!! So some of you may know that I have a wedding to go to on the prelim (if we make it). I am prepared to get in everyone's bad books by leaving and coming back.

The reception is 20min walk from Allianz (I reckon 10 if I run). Reception starts at 6, I hang out till 7:40, run to Allianz, watch the game, run back by 10pm. I will leave the girlfriend at the wedding as an alibi. Fool proof!!!

@Happy MEel is being a pussy and won't do it. Everyone get stuck into him!!!

Kornstar, EelsFan05 and hineyrulz like this.
  13. Happy MEel

Happy MEel Juniors

In my defence I'm much more liked by the family so my presence will be sorely missed. @Noise they could take or leave.

Kornstar and hineyrulz like this.
  14. Happy MEel

Happy MEel Juniors

Oh...I'm also going to let every merkin know you've left during speeches.

Kornstar likes this.
  15. Noise

Noise First Grade

That's why I haven't left you the important job of alibi

Kornstar, Happy MEel and hineyrulz like this.
  16. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

So it was you merkin???? FFS!!

17. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Just tell your mate he's a merkin for getting married in September, I mean Parra always are playing in September right???

Noise likes this.
  18. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Immortal

Also, the last three games I attended we've lost. The last win I was at was against the Storm in 2010.

hineyrulz likes this.
  19. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

I haven't seen Parra lose since 2005 when Brisbane put 40 points on us in a half.

The streak is about 11 games which is impressive when you consider we have been Aids for a fair chunk of that time.

Poupou Escobar and Noise like this.
  20. Happy MEel

Happy MEel Juniors

To be fair, the merkin in question is a Tigers fan so there was never any consideration of September finals footy.

hineyrulz, Noise and Incorrect like this.