What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIRST TEST AUSTRALIA v WEST INDIES. Nov 30-Dec 4, PERTH STADIUM.

TheParraboy

Staff member
They should be using this series to give some experience to the fringe players. We won't, of course. Instead we will look to pad our stats this summer only for the usual suspects to come crashing back to Earth in the India and England tours next year.

WI coming out again next summer for 2 more tests (true story)
Maybe the fringe players will get a go then??

jargan83

Coach

Nice combination of outrageous pricing for the team were playing -$100 for a decent seat (close to behind the bowlers arm) and $50 to sit square of the wicket. Chuck in poor fixturing with the game starting on a Wednesday.

Even as a member I'm only half interested in going.

If the Windows bat first it will be over before Friday.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The Saffers will be itching to have another battle with us since the last in 2018. Tho they have lost de Villiers, Amla, de Kock and du Plessis since that controversial tour, they will be no pushover, specially their young attack. Who has forgotten that the Saffers have won the last two series, one on our soil back in '16/17.

And if my memory serves me correctly, the series before those two loses was a draw

Long time between drinks since we beat them at home.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Nice combination of outrageous pricing for the team were playing -$100 for a decent seat (close to behind the bowlers arm) and $50 to sit square of the wicket. Chuck in poor fixturing with the game starting on a Wednesday.

Even as a member I'm only half interested in going.

If the Windows bat first it will be over before Friday.

CA has a black friday sale going (20% off tickets), ends today

Id assume it be a bit more attract in Perth or should I say for WI tests.

I got Bradman concourse for $24 adult, basically almost behind bowlers arm..
The Victor Trumper stand most expensive tickets (bottom tier is $75, $124 top tier)

Though it is vs South Africa.

WI coming out again next summer for 2 more tests (true story)
Maybe the fringe players will get a go then??

West Indies cricket is making up for lost time. Test series should be no less than three matches imo. Australia has played the Windies, 4, 5 even a six match series over Frank Worrell Trophy history.

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
CA has a black friday sale going (20% off tickets), ends today

Id assume it be a bit more attract in Perth or should I say for WI tests.

I got Bradman concourse for $24 adult, basically almost behind bowlers arm..
The Victor Trumper stand most expensive tickets (bottom tier is $75, $124 top tier)

Though it is vs South Africa.

Yeah when I checked I did see some tickets for $24 at Optus Stadium but I assume they're closer to $35-$40 at full price.

The West Indies aren't a draw anymore and CA really should be pricing it better to draw a crowd. I've seen f**k all advertising over here as well which isn't going to help.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yeah when I checked I did see some tickets for $24 at Optus Stadium but I assume they're closer to $35-$40 at full price.

The West Indies aren't a draw anymore and CA really should be pricing it better to draw a crowd. I've seen f**k all advertising over here as well which isn't going to help.

They (CA) probably cant justify the marketing/advertising return. Sad really.

Few years back read that these sorts of summers they run at a loss, but make money on the ashes and indian summer tours which compensates

If the product is crap, not sure you get too many more showing up with cheaper tickets tbh, though it would have to help.

They may have alreay done this (shamefull if they havnt) , approach every school within 100km, throw in the cheap tickets ($5 per kid?) or even free tickets, just to fill the place up a bit. The schools futher away, help with transports costs. This also gets kids going to the game at a younger age and hopefully with some of them it sticks and they want to play the game and watch it more. It starts when they are younger

TheParraboy

Staff member
Some say the Windies are equivalent to our grade level. Be careful we dont under estimate them as they are a young side, enthusiastic with natural talent and flair. And bare in mind fellow keyboard warriors, they have already beaten England at home this year. While we have an ageing attack they are still toddlers by comparison.

Our bowling group is massivley underdone for test cricket IMO. Sorry bowling in the nets a lot isnt great preparation

Could it be another unlosable series mentality, since a depleted India dropped our dacks couple of summers back?

Our bowling group is massivley underdone for test cricket IMO. Sorry bowling in the nets a lot isnt great preparation
Bloody hell how many years have we been saying this. CA fobs away criticism with; ' they are getting overs in white ball'. Hello you drongos white ball bowling is not red ball bowling. Plus, as you alluded to @TheParraboy, a few net sessions is nowhere near the prep needed for Test cricket.

If our selectors had half a brain theyd nurture a white ball specific bowling attack, allowing our Test boys to be able to get decent prep by playing a couple of lead in Shield matches to a series.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think our bowlers will be OK. They're full time professionals in a professional set-up, it's not like they've been working in a bank for the last 6 months with no prep.

Is it a coincidence that Langer came out with his " they are cowards" quote to the media on the eve of the first Test match in WA in three years. Now he is urging his fellow West Aussies to attend the five days. Looking to be the peacemaker when some will say he may have been the instigator of this unrest and apparent boycott. Makes you wonder.

Last edited:
I think our bowlers will be OK. They're full time professionals in a professional set-up, it's not like they've been working in a bank for the last 6 months with no prep.
More so our batsmen. When was their last red ball game. Yet CA trots em out to play the World Cup and then three meaningless ODIs.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Bloody hell how many years have we been saying this. CA fobs away criticism with; ' they are getting overs in white ball'. Hello you drongos white ball bowling is not red ball bowling. Plus, as you alluded to @TheParraboy, a few net sessions is nowhere near the prep needed for Test cricket.

think it’s also disrespectful to the WI (as crap as they are). If we ain’t there mentally a well, they could give us a fright

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

yeah, I think white ball cricket does more damage to batsmen's technique than the bowlers

I think our bowlers will be fine

Fangs

Coach
Need to be some big individual moments from players to get any interest going. For mine its the batsman. There needs to be a big score from someone in our top order. All of them are capable of playing a long innings.

I think back to 2000 v WI. It was 5-0 and almost 100% one-sided. No Shane Warne who was injured and Curtly Ambrose retired before the series started. And yet we still had a McGrath hattrick, Lara 182 in Adelaide, Steve Waugh had a couple centuries.

Colin Miller had blue hair. I reckon Labs could pull of something like that.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

Australia have made one change from their last Test for the opening match of the summer against the West Indies in Perth, Test captain Pat Cummins confirmed today.

Australia's top seven remains unchanged from the last Test, a heavy innings defeat in Sri Lanka, as Josh Hazlewood returns to the line-up after sitting out in Galle.

Leg-spinner Mitch Swepson is the player to make way as Australia reverts to a full-strength pace line-up featuring Mitch Starc along with Cummins and Hazlewood, with Nathan Lyon the sole spinner.

Australia XI for first Test: Usman Khawaja, David Warner, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitch Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon

The opening NRMA Insurance Test will be the first red-ball match for Australia's pace battery since that Sri Lanka series after a white-ball heavy diet to start the home summer, including the T20 World Cup.

Batters David Warner and Steve Smith and allrounder Cameron Green have also not played first-class cricket since July.

Queensland Bulls pair Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne and South Australian duo Travis Head and wicketkeeper Alex Carey have all played Sheffield Shield cricket in the build-up to the Test summer.

Latest posts