What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foran Is Coming

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If it's indeed true, this is a fantastic buy

Off field he'll come right over here I reckon, and if we get him going on the field we'll have the full Kiwi's spine. If we can't make the eight with that then god help us all.

I still worry about our pack. Ben playing, and being back to his 2015 form is so essential. Without him, it's Lillyman/Vete/Lisone/Gubb (or Sipley). That's not a pack that wins any week, Newcastle apart, so can we expect to make the 8 or better if we're getting beaten up in the bigs? Even the composition of our back-row, I still feel like there are a lot of questions that aren't answered by Kieran Foran and Stephen Kearney.

Big Marn

Juniors
Pretty sure Hayson won't be moving over here with him.
It's more how he handles his kids/family situation.
Needs a very good sports doctor and physio to prevent injury, time off may have helped heel if muscle related, but if tendon/ligament issue needs a good rehab program.
Put some kids around him to absorb as much as they can.

Yes it would have been interesting at that forum last night to ask a question or two about the sport science methods their team are continuing or changing for next season. We are supposed to have all the bells and whistles at the gym (Cryochambers etc) but i wonder what we do regarding gathering biometric data on players to protect the players from themselves. What i mean is that players sometimes are not honest
( due to ego, worried about losing their spot etc) with the medicos regarding any developing injuries, until you get the situation where an injury that could have been dealt with through a little bit of rest gets aggravated into something more serious.

I have followed the Golden State Warriors for a number of years as i have family in San Francisco (yay 2015, dont mention 2016) and their medical team used sophisticated means to gather biometric data (among other things) over the course of their winning season.

http://www.sporttechie.com/2015/04/...warriors-using-wearable-startup-to-gain-edge/

They were able to calculate when a players levels were below their baseline data on a certain night (usually this would happen after a long stretch of games) and would then recommend that they rest the next game or 2 to get them back to a better level in order to prevent a more serious injury. (2 weeks off in the NBA can be 6-7 games in an 82 game season). Most of the elite players would only get rested 4 or 5 times a year based on these recommendations, but the Warriors had a relatively injury free season in 2015. There were other reasons they were injury free. Had good luck, plus they were destroying teams which allowed them to rest their gun players in the 4th quarter leading to less wear and tear over the the course of a season.

Interestingly in September of 2015 the coach Steve Kerr completely overhauled the medical team. Unsure of whether they stopped using biometric data as much, but Curry got injured 3 times during the year (the worst one just before the playoffs and another one during the playoffs). Obviously bad luck on the court (wet floor etc) can lead to all sorts of injuries but it was an interesting decision for him to change all his personnel after a winning season.

Would love to know whether we use the same medical and physical conditioning staff year after year and how much do they change their methods. Where do our medical staff come from, where were they before they came to the Warriors. Have their methods been successful at other teams?

Because its no secret that the last 5 years we have this horrible fade out at the end of the season and I wonder how much it is due to our conditioning methods and how much it is because of the mental side of things, and how much is it because our players just arent good enough.

I am being optimistic about Foran coming. I dont want to think we are getting a player past their use by date, ala Sam Tompkins who had lost all his speed by the time we got him....

JJ

Immortal
It's interesting how much credit some media commentators are giving Foran for the Eel's play this year - I'm struggling with that, he was barely on the field, Norman was good too then shot himself in the foot... As an outsider I'd think Brad Arthur and Beau Scott are more deserving

Foran is a fine player - but injuries and personal issues have limited him - it's really hard to predict how this will work

Meth

Staff member
I still worry about our pack. Ben playing, and being back to his 2015 form is so essential. Without him, it's Lillyman/Vete/Lisone/Gubb (or Sipley). That's not a pack that wins any week, Newcastle apart, so can we expect to make the 8 or better if we're getting beaten up in the bigs? Even the composition of our back-row, I still feel like there are a lot of questions that aren't answered by Kieran Foran and Stephen Kearney.

Remember when our pack was our boast? Goes to show the importance of a pack having a leader. Sharks have Gallen. Cowboys have Scott. Storm have Bromwich. Tigers have Woods. Matulino is that guy for us...or he should be. When he is playing to his potential, than all of a sudden Lillyman/Vete/Lisone becomes close to a premiership winning prop rotation (potentially)

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Yes it would have been interesting at that forum last night to ask a question or two about the sport science methods their team are continuing or changing for next season. We are supposed to have all the bells and whistles at the gym (Cryochambers etc) but i wonder what we do regarding gathering biometric data on players to protect the players from themselves. What i mean is that players sometimes are not honest
( due to ego, worried about losing their spot etc) with the medicos regarding any developing injuries, until you get the situation where an injury that could have been dealt with through a little bit of rest gets aggravated into something more serious.

I have followed the Golden State Warriors for a number of years as i have family in San Francisco (yay 2015, dont mention 2016) and their medical team used sophisticated means to gather biometric data (among other things) over the course of their winning season.

http://www.sporttechie.com/2015/04/...warriors-using-wearable-startup-to-gain-edge/

They were able to calculate when a players levels were below their baseline data on a certain night (usually this would happen after a long stretch of games) and would then recommend that they rest the next game or 2 to get them back to a better level in order to prevent a more serious injury. (2 weeks off in the NBA can be 6-7 games in an 82 game season). Most of the elite players would only get rested 4 or 5 times a year based on these recommendations, but the Warriors had a relatively injury free season in 2015. There were other reasons they were injury free. Had good luck, plus they were destroying teams which allowed them to rest their gun players in the 4th quarter leading to less wear and tear over the the course of a season.

Interestingly in September of 2015 the coach Steve Kerr completely overhauled the medical team. Unsure of whether they stopped using biometric data as much, but Curry got injured 3 times during the year (the worst one just before the playoffs and another one during the playoffs). Obviously bad luck on the court (wet floor etc) can lead to all sorts of injuries but it was an interesting decision for him to change all his personnel after a winning season.

Would love to know whether we use the same medical and physical conditioning staff year after year and how much do they change their methods. Where do our medical staff come from, where were they before they came to the Warriors. Have their methods been successful at other teams?

Because its no secret that the last 5 years we have this horrible fade out at the end of the season and I wonder how much it is due to our conditioning methods and how much it is because of the mental side of things, and how much is it because our players just arent good enough.

I am being optimistic about Foran coming. I dont want to think we are getting a player past their use by date, ala Sam Tompkins who had lost all his speed by the time we got him....
I know the All Blacks and some NRL teams have been using a GPS device, you may have seen it, it looks like a black bra. You see them wear it during training clips. Anyway, it monitors multifarious statistics like speed, acceleration, deceleration, heart rate, dynamic stress load. Basically, it's to find out when an athlete is working his ass of or not so they're held accountable to some extent, there's other factors for underperforming athlete that's considered as well. However that product that Golden State are using (Athos) is revolutionary, I HOPE that it becomes successful. It can do what the bra does and more importantly, sniff out injuries! I think it's still in work in progress though and also, it might be super expensive. GSW are rich, their benchwarmers are on over a million USD a season, I've got a feeling it would be expensive.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Lol yeah kind of slipped

When I said we've all 'been through a lot together as fans' I struggled to find the connection between one of our own having a sneaky leak on the field and your good self, allegedly, peeing in the bedroom after a big night out.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
When I said we've all 'been through a lot together as fans' I struggled to find the connection between one of our own having a sneaky leak on the field and your good self, allegedly, peeing in the bedroom after a big night out.
Yeah I knew what you meant. I just went off track there looking at Russ and stimulated from your comment, I cast my mind back to my worst pissing moment. It was embarrasing cos me and the misses was in our early stages, I hadnt even farted in front of her yet! so you can see why thats embarrasing. That concludes that, back to the thread.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Remember when our pack was our boast? Goes to show the importance of a pack having a leader. Sharks have Gallen. Cowboys have Scott. Storm have Bromwich. Tigers have Woods. Matulino is that guy for us...or he should be. When he is playing to his potential, than all of a sudden Lillyman/Vete/Lisone becomes close to a premiership winning prop rotation (potentially)

Yeah mate I do, and a leader of a pack is absolutely essential. It's a shame with Ben that he's never shown any real tendency to want to be a leader in the vocal/environment sense, although he did lead with actions last year.

I'm much happier with a firing Ben/Lillyman/Vete/Sipley combo. If our back-row is again going be a predominantly 80-minute trio, you can carry Sipley for 15-20 for impact until he gets fitter and more accustomed to NRL level and is able to up his work rate. Lisone, for mine, needs to work towards being a ball-playing 2nd rower or back-up prop option at best. Unless he's going to get much bigger and get the silly shit out of his game.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I don't know how I feel
I should be excited.

Too many question marks
- What kind of head space is he in?
- If it's a good space, will it remain that way?
- Will the NRL register him?
- What kind of form can we get out of him?
- Who are we going to have to lose to accommodate him?

Typically, if a player of Forans calibre becomes available, and you have a chance then you snap him up.
However, theres too many question marks on here to be all celebratory around this signing for me.

Potentially, could be the greatest signing we've ever made. Yet that line alone, has been used in the past and look where we've gone.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Yep, while Foran gives us hope, we also have to hope in him that he'll come here to be the best and not because he hasnt been working for awhile so he needs some money to gamble and go walkabout like Andrew Walker did. We can only hope.

JJ

Immortal
The more I read the less I like this - Foran's been a bit of a twat TBH, and continues to be - will the Integrity Unit actually sign off on it? People will say Doyle knows, but Foran's still hanging around this Hayson guy, and unrepentant

Also, dare I say it, the odd unexpected loss/or win fits easily in the Warriors MO

Cold Roses

Juniors
I still worry about our pack. Ben playing, and being back to his 2015 form is so essential.

Even the composition of our back-row,

Matulino fit and firing is going to play a huge part in how we go next year. Lillyman rotating with Vete would give us the option of Sipley spelling Matulino in the last 10 minutes of the first half and the first 10 of the second. That's all he needs to do. Ben has 60 minutes a game in him. We've seen it in the past.

Kearney has shown at international level that he sees the benefit in introducing fresh legs from the back row. Impact from middle forward or in the second row channels from Lisone and Afoa could massively change the dynamic of our forwards. McFadden seemed to see the benefit of playing Mannering/Hoffman/Thompson for 80mins just because they could. Doesn't mean they have to.

I'll be genuinely surprised if Kearney goes for the same rotations next year.