What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh start for the Warriors?

flippikat

Bench
Coaching is key at the Warriors. The right coach needs to be given enough time and space to get things back on track. Unfortunately, we've created a mess of a situation and the calibre of coach that we need wouldn't bother with us.

Your post is spot on, particularly that first paragraph.

While we live in hope (however faint) that Kearney can get this team into shape - mentally as well as physically - the long run solution will probably be someone else.

If Souths were to part ways with Maguire, he'd be the ideal man to raise the bar & get the right sort of attitude into the club.

Bazal

Post Whore
Something needs to happen.

Pissing off an atrocious coach who accepts mediocrity would be a great start to rebuild.

Accepts? The bloke actively fosters it....

The problem is (and I'm late to the thread so it's been mentioned) they've painted themselves into a corner by sacking a thousand other coaches.

Realistically they need to find a new coach and stick with them for the term of a contract. Kearney isn't the answer and they need to bite the bullet on that despite their previous coach sacking record.

I think someone like Toovey would be fantastic for the Warriors.They need someone who will foster a more ruthless and focused culture.

Bazal

Post Whore
I can't for a second believe that, given Anderson being complicit in the Eels Cap debacle, that even forgoing the presumption that the NRL would register him again, any Club would want him.

I liked Daniel Anderson and I was quite sad to hear he was a big part of that disgrace. I'd be interested to hear his side of the story because one thing he did always come across as was genuine, regardless of some Eels fans opinions of him even prior to that.

I do think he still has something to offer the game but yeah, you'd have to imagine he's used his credit.

POPEYE

Coach
Usually it's 'FFS guys, you've got a whole country to pick from'
You"re not quoting from me, you'd be lucky to find one in a thousand NRL quality playmakers in NZ . . . forwards are a different matter

Bazal

Post Whore
You"re not quoting from me, you'd be lucky to find one in a thousand NRL quality playmakers in NZ . . . forwards are a different matter

Yep, the All Blacks have historically struggled to find quality playmakers in NZ. It's the only thing stopping them from being the best side in the world.....

POPEYE

Coach
Yep, the All Blacks have historically struggled to find quality playmakers in NZ. It's the only thing stopping them from being the best side in the world.....
'Playmakers' in Union . . . fmd, doesn't take much intellect to cross your f**king fingers

POPEYE

Coach
Ah, so you're one of those types. Blind by virtue of simply not wanting to see.
F**k off, Union is almost as f**king non-structured as AFL . . . a miserable merkin of a game, as boring as batshit, more easily manipulated by referees than harness racing is by drivers, a bigger waste of time than going to mass, invented for mentally handicapped rich people . . . the scoring alone is f**king laughable, not to mention the tackling, the replacing of ideas with kicking . . . then there's the commentary

Bazal

Post Whore
F**k off, Union is almost as f**king non-structured as AFL . . . a miserable merkin of a game, as boring as batshit, more easily manipulated by referees than harness racing is by drivers, a bigger waste of time than going to mass, invented for mentally handicapped rich people . . . the scoring alone is f**king laughable, not to mention the tackling, the replacing of ideas with kicking . . . then there's the commentary

Haha. And within your very first sentence I can tell you don't actually watch the game. Nor do you understand the point I'm making.

The fight club sounds like the right place for you, old fella.

POPEYE

Coach
Yep, not quoting from you
Show me where I said NZ has all the players necessary to create a pissant cup winning team and I'll refrain from telling the world Indigenous Australians by capita are by far the most talented RL players on the planet

POPEYE

Coach
Haha. And within your very first sentence I can tell you don't actually watch the game. Nor do you understand the point I'm making.

The fight club sounds like the right place for you, old fella.
I tried and I tried and I tried to watch a game of Union but there has either been too many dumb things happening, too many kicks when enterprise would've been a better proposition, too much shit happening . . . and the way the game is scored is childish beyond imagination

Then again I don't regard Golf as a sport and I can sit and watch a Snooker championship all day, my second favourite sport to watch is women's beach volleyball and my third is taking the piss . . . so what do I know

Bazal

Post Whore
I tried and I tried and I tried to watch a game of Union but there has either been too many dumb things happening, too many kicks when enterprise would've been a better proposition, too much shit happening . . . and the way the game is scored is childish beyond imagination

Then again I don't regard Golf as a sport and I can sit and watch a Snooker championship all day, my second favourite sport to watch is women's beach volleyball and my third is taking the piss . . . so what do I know

I'm not arguing the virtues of either sport. I've played both, being from Canberra where Union rules. Both have good and bad points.

The point is the All Blacks can find high quality playmakers from NZ. Dan Carter would have been a gun in either code. The myth that NZ cannot produce playmakers is exactly that. The problem is they all seem to go to Rugby because it's the dominant code, not that they can't produce them.

dogz08

First Grade
Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

flippikat

Bench
The point is the All Blacks can find high quality playmakers from NZ. Dan Carter would have been a gun in either code. The myth that NZ cannot produce playmakers is exactly that. The problem is they all seem to go to Rugby because it's the dominant code, not that they can't produce them.

Precisely. There's plenty of opportunities here in NZ to progress to the top level, and still live relatively close to home.

The progression from club rugby, to Provincial "ITM Cup", to Super Rugby, to the All Blacks is there for anyone who wants to work their way up the tree.

As it stands, even with a NZ-wide RL competition like the Bartercard Premiership you know that any standout talent is gonna be head-hunted by NRL clubs.. and it's just not an option for the NZRL to do what rugby here do ("You can't play for the All Blacks unless you play Super Rugby in NZ") - I mean, how many players would stay here just to qualify for Kiwis selection when the top level of competition is overseas?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Your post is spot on, particularly that first paragraph.

While we live in hope (however faint) that Kearney can get this team into shape - mentally as well as physically - the long run solution will probably be someone else.

If Souths were to part ways with Maguire, he'd be the ideal man to raise the bar & get the right sort of attitude into the club.

Im still surprised you guys have never had Brian Smith coach....

He has an absolute fetish for islanders and he pits together the moneyball teams better than anyone.

Meth

Staff member
Show me where I said NZ has all the players necessary to create a pissant cup winning team and I'll refrain from telling the world Indigenous Australians by capita are by far the most talented RL players on the planet

I can't.

That's why I said "not quoting from you"

davi

Juniors
Apparently Paul Davys has pulled his offer because of disagreement on price of the Warriors.

WARRIORS IN LIMBO

The Warriors are on the hunt for another potential buyer after Auckland businessman Paul Davys abandoned plans to buy the NRL club.

The NZ Herald reports Davy’s $15 million bid was rejected by current owner Eric Watson who wants $20 million for the club which he has part owned since 2000.

“I have withdrawn my interest due to a confusing sale process,” Davys said in a text message to the Herald.

“I was given every indication that my offer was accepted subject to me completing due diligence which is a normal process when an offer is accepted.

“This week, I find out that the sale is being handled more like a tender. I was advised this week that I needed to complete my due diligence then submit an offer for Eric to consider.

“This to me is back to front and time delaying.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f2b838f3abbb27c66eb83a176a32e30b