What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Bears, CQ and PNG?

Brutus

Referee
From The Mole section in RLW pg 6

In the Region - The Brisbane Bombers, Western Corridor and Perth NRL bid teams could be the major beneficiaries from a rumoured expansion plan being tossed about by the independent commissioners in waiting.
"The Commission is seriously considering calling for tenders from regions rather than teams," a well-placed source told The Mole.
"They are almost certain to call for teams from South East QLD and Perth. A lot of the commissioners are concerned about all these bid teams spending money and they want to nip it in the bud."

Poor Flo.

BuffaloRules

Coach
ouch, only a few years late to be crushing hopes!

Agreed, but whats the alternative?

A lot of good people are working their rings off for the Bears... If they are not going to be there then someone needs to tell them sooner rather then later..

Another example of weak leadership the game has had...

So CQld, CC and PNG aren't regions now? What are they then? Huge amounts of lands filled with league loving communities... Oh wait I believe these things are called "regions". Another beat up story, gotta feel sorry for all the negativity being thrown around especially considering that at the end of the day, businesses/corporations and financial backers keep throwing their $$ at the bids. Especially the CC bid. I'm thinking that someone is getting jealous at the fact we have an influx of money and resources coming in, yet their favorite teams can't even sell out their grounds or secure local sponsors.

Wait a few weeks and these publications will be licking our sacks again, it's goes around then comes around. The Bears especially aren't fazed, we'll keep working on the bid towards our goal. We'll leave the rubbish claims to uncredited rumours and a handful of posters on here who need to get jobs and spend less time advocating negativity. Sure, like that will ever happen with the current mob of naysayers in here. Lol. Please. O'Doyle Rules!

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
So CQld, CC and PNG aren't regions now? What are they then? Huge amounts of lands filled with league loving communities... Oh wait I believe these things are called "regions". Another beat up story, gotta feel sorry for all the negativity being thrown around especially considering that at the end of the day, businesses/corporations and financial backers keep throwing their $$ at the bids. Especially the CC bid. I'm thinking that someone is getting jealous at the fact we have an influx of money and resources coming in, yet their favorite teams can't even sell out their grounds or secure local sponsors.

Yes they are regions my dear.

Just not the regions the IC will be calling for.

franklin2323

Immortal
It seems stupid to put teams in these regions for the sake of it. We should take the best 2 Business plans no matter where they are. Only Perth should be guaranteed

Goddo

Bench
I think the IC is trying to get a bit of control on the development of bids, and push for areas that the game needs clubs.

This sounds like they will try to reshape the bids the way they want them to look.

The messages that seem to be getting reinforced from all these tidbits recently is that expansion will happen later than previously expected (probably 2015 now), and that Perth and SE Queensland are the favourites, but not necissarily as they currently exist - expect tinkering.

betcats

Referee
Im sure this has been asked before but anyway. Will the second brisbane team actually strengthen rugby league or will it just weaken an already strong team?

Yes they are regions my dear.

Just not the regions the IC will be calling for.

I didn't realize you are part of the commission. Nor did I realize you know of their motives before they even stage their first proper meeting. You should feel proud future boy.

Goddo, for someone who doesn't credit the CCBears bid you sure spend alot of time talking about us. Unfortunately your weak attempts at sarcasm are just that. Weak. Maybe one day you will realize what we have in our bid document is due to the time frame we've been at it. Maybe one day you can figure out that working on this bid for the x amount of years which the Bears have, means many bases have been covered. I doubt it though, you and proper research dislike eachother more then a dole bludger and real work..

Brutus

Referee
I didn't realize you are part of the commission. Nor did I realize you know of their motives before they even stage their first proper meeting. You should feel proud future boy.

Common sense boy more like it.

The Mole is also common sense boy.

The writing is on the wall mate.

I know it's hard fathom.

Common sense boy more like it.

The Mole is also common sense boy.

The writing is on the wall mate.

I know it's hard fathom.

Only thing that is hard to fathom is muppets like yourself believing every rumour and gossip being thrown around. Coming up with these theories which are just that theories. If the CCBears were no chance then the NRL would have told us already, not further encourage us to build memberships numbers and engage our community or put us on stand by twice now. Yes, the writing is on the wall. And it says all bids are as good of a chance as any other but besides CCBears and possibly WA, the rest of the pack haven't even sorted out primary issues regarding their bids let alone start to engage their communities.

Without these keys factors this amazing TV money, the saviour of the game will prop up new teams for how long? 2, 3 maybe 5 years then what? Who is gonna pay the bills? You? Goddo? Craig Davidson? Steve Johnson? China? The NRL? Yeah right. Think abit deeper then what is presented in the media since their all pushing their biased opinions anyway (which goes both ways). You guys want short term gain for long term strain.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
As someone else has said, Sharks to Brisbane (make a poor, losing team into a rich, winning team) and then bring in the Reds and Bears.

Everyone wins, even Nulla fans.

Goddo

Bench
You guys want short term gain for long term strain.

No, and this is where we have differed from you from the start. I see expanding with another NSW side where there are already 10, all competing for limited sponsorship, tv viewership et cetera, as the short term choice.

The Bears have a good bid, but offer the NRL long term pain - do you realistically think NSW can support 11 sides? I don't. And the revenue on offer from the Bears will be small, relative to another Queensland side.

Your bid has a lot of support from old North Sydney fans, but how will the clubs growth be in future? That is the key strength of the Bears bid, leveraging its past, but it also highlights the bids weakness.

I see a new team in a huge growing market where there is large demand for product from TV, advertisers, Reserve and Junior grades as the long term choice.

Its nothing personal - I'd actually like to see the Bears in the game again, but it requires some "market rationalisation" in Sydney.

Paullyboy

Coach
Im sure this has been asked before but anyway. Will the second brisbane team actually strengthen rugby league or will it just weaken an already strong team?

I've said it a million times but Sydney people just don't get it. A second Brisbane team (doesn't matter how you label it) will not work. Yes Brisbane is rugby league heartland, and yes a massive percentage of Brisbanians hate the Broncos - but that massive percentage (myself included) already have another team and have had that other team for a LONG time.

I'm not going to drop the Raiders and just become a Brisbane 2 fan because they live closer to me. Teams have bugger all to do with where you live nowadays anyway.

Having said this - I don't support a CC team either. My old man is a passionate Bears fan and I'd love for his sake for the Bears to be back, but the Central Coast is far, far too spread out for it to work. It's like a mini Gold Coast in terms of population type (in that the population is spread over a ridiculously large area). The Gold Coast at least has more people to draw on and even it is struggling massively.

The best thing that could happen for RL is for the Sharks to relocate to Perth and that be it in terms of expansion for a while. We all know that won't happen though.