What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Bears, CQ and PNG?

BDGS

Bench
What do you expect when you have a puppet /Muppet "running " the game!

So having 5 good bids trying to get into the NRL is bad a thing?

The publicity alone has been great, 5 areas want in the NRL while other competitions just place teams in certain areas and watch it fail.

Goddo

Bench
I wonder what sort of changes the NRL will implement to the Perth/Brisbane/Ipswich bids?

If they go with Brisbane can they please get the name changed. Bombers is aweful.

betcats

Referee
Yes, but the public transport is very, very good in these cities (comparitively). My point is that the Central Coast doesn't have these amenities to draw on but it needs them more than anyone given the vast area it covers.

There is a fair bit of parking around Gosford, also the stadium is a 2 minute walk from gosford train station. I will say that our buses are pretty poor, atleast a few years ago before i had my license i thought so. We seem to handle the games we get from the NRL ok as well as the A League fixtures(these crowds are usually pretty small though, occasionally they get a decent crowd though).

Edit: There is also a ferry thats runs from Avalon to the cc though i am a bit vague as to the times/stops.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Sometime in the future PNG will be apart of the NRL. But its not now. Most likely15 to 20 years from now.

I never thought Central Qld was a real chance. It seemed to me they never considered themselves a real contender.

The only way I would have a Central Coast team (be it the Bears or anyone else) in the NRL if it was a part of a rationalisation of Sydney teams. Presently Sydney has 9 team playing out of it which in my opinion is way too many. So why add a tenth Sydney team?

docbrown

Coach
I've said it a million times but Sydney people just don't get it. A second Brisbane team (doesn't matter how you label it) will not work. Yes Brisbane is rugby league heartland, and yes a massive percentage of Brisbanians hate the Broncos - but that massive percentage (myself included) already have another team and have had that other team for a LONG time.

I'm not going to drop the Raiders and just become a Brisbane 2 fan because they live closer to me.

So if the Broncos don't play Raiders in Brisbane but BRISBANE II do, are you saying you won't go that Raiders away game?

The fact is Central Coast & Brisbane have an advantage with the number of away supporters.

You might get to see two Raiders games locally rather than having to travel.

As you've said, there are existing away supporters - and they would benefit from having another local game to attend.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL have 10 VIC teams, IMO NSW could support 11 nrl sides. The cc is certainly ripe for a team.

Edit: although i wouldnt support them.

and of those teams in both cities some are financial cripples and struggling to keep up with the others. AFL would have dearly loved for two Melbourne teams to relocate to GC and GWS, they tried hard to make it happen. There are Melbourne AFL clubs that are still alive only because the AFL gives them more $'s and other succesful clubs pay a ticket levy to keep them afloat. I def wouldn't be using AFL's melbourne model to suggest over population is a good thing!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've said it a million times but Sydney people just don't get it. A second Brisbane team (doesn't matter how you label it) will not work. Yes Brisbane is rugby league heartland, and yes a massive percentage of Brisbanians hate the Broncos - but that massive percentage (myself included) already have another team and have had that other team for a LONG time.

This is no different to the current majority fanbase make up of both CC and Perth imo. Most existing fans probably go for someone, question is can those fans be convinced to go for a new home town team in enough numbers to make it viable and is there enough for the next generation to become die hard fans of the team rather than who their parents grew up supporting.

There is historic evidence to suggest yes to both of those:
1. Crushers first year crowds
2. Number of fans that became Reds, Rams, Storm etc members who were died in the wool fans of existing teams
3. AFL's expansion in Perth (a similiar population and sporting make up) with the Dockers showed an alternative to an exisiting succesful team will be embraced and won't have a negative impact on the existing team.

Billythekid

First Grade
It's a shame. The NRL absolutely should have a team on the CC but until there are less teams in Sydney it's really hard to put a team there. I'm against the culling of sydney clubs so it makes the situation very difficult in my mind.

franklin2323

Immortal

That's the big problem with the 2nd Brisbane team. It's not just the supporters. Sponsors know the Broncos brand and it's successful for Brisbane. Isn't the Bombers just a few rich people?? Ask Peter holmes a court or Max Delmage how well dual owners worked

Then you have Ipswich who won't play in their area. Seems strange. To call it so far out. When another bid team might be stronger

Perth is a great call. Has seemly got it's crap together after missing out when the Titans came in.

eozsmiles

Bench
The AFL have 10 VIC teams, IMO NSW could support 11 nrl sides. The cc is certainly ripe for a team.

Edit: although i wouldnt support them.

They used to have 12 in Vic before South went to Sydney and Fitzroy went to Brisbane. And some of those 10 that are left are running on fumes.
That is probably where the NRL would like to go so it's more redistribution of the game than expansion.

betcats

Referee
Expanding all the way to Gosford is just plain stupid.

I disagree, if the area has all the resources needed for the team to be succesfull then why not put a team there?

The question is does the cc have the resources? personally i think they do but i have to admit im far from an expert on the subject.

Goddo

Bench
I disagree, if the area has all the resources needed for the team to be succesfull then why not put a team there?

The question is does the cc have the resources? personally i think they do but i have to admit im far from an expert on the subject.

They don't, not if you include revenue generating things like advertising or TV rights. Then there is the concept of market reach, which is another cross. In that regard, the Central Coast adds little more than plonking a team in Ryde, Wentworthville or Tempe.

Might as well bring back Newtown too.

BDGS

Bench
lol at some people portraying themselves as experts on topics where they have done nothing more then internet research combined with their own opinion.

AB129*

Juniors
Personally, if any expansion happens I'm strongly in favour of Perth getting the nod but I'm unconvinced as to the merits of the others.

IMO, the one that keeps getting left out of this discussion is NZ (and yes I realise that is because there isn't a Kiwi bid). But it seems to me that if you're truly looking to grow the game, you should be trying to get more of NZ's quality rugby/RL athletes. The quality of their National Provincial Championship (rugby) and their NYC sides shows how much talent their is available- fight RU, not AFL for athletes and improve the quality of your code in the process.

Also, I'm interested to get the honest feelings of CC supporters towards my Club, the Sharks... Obviously, we've been weak for a while and their is a perception amongst Sharks fans that the Bears' bid is waiting for us to die- especially with the apparent support for the Perth and B2 bids.

Are Bears supporters happy to see a Sydney Club die to achieve their dream?

Goddo

Bench
Who are you reffering too?

Probably me. Since he was a noob on this site, he has constantly argued (often irationally) the case for the Bears over SE Queensland. Since the momentum has swung away from the Bears he has gone quiet on that front.

Latest posts