What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

Stallion

First Grade
1 team city 46k
9 team city with two teams playing each other 12k

End of argument!

How dumb ! Ignoring established rivalries and fanbases is plain ignorant. Your simple path shows a simpleton brain !
I know it's a bait (would think so ?) but your garbage comments have to be addressed by someone or else the undermining of the strength and fabric of this respected and great competition will suffer from a crap discourse created by spoiling comments from people like you. Nothing personal though. Lol.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Seriously comparing a 6pm peak hour match played in a city where one team's followers live ATT 1 hour away ,compared to an 8pm start in a city of 2m, where all the kiddies are able to gather at will in a centralised area, because the time is more use friendly, defies logic.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Amazing. The fact that a fictional book refers to the EPL should give you some idea of deemed cultural relevance? But no it doesn't!

Uh huh, and that is evidence for or proves that the EPL is more popular and successful than the NFL how?

And what of all the fictional books, movies, tv shows, etc, that undoubtedly exist that reference the NFL? Is their cultural relevance not as significant or do they not matter?

And which culture are we measuring this relevance against?

You have some basic interpretive issues "dumbdane " . With respect to the previous posts which you have found their is a concept called 'inferential knowledge' that seems to have escaped your interpretation and view of world sport. Just thought I'd present an awareness tangent for you . Try it!

How about instead of going into one of the multiple philosophical ways of finding knowledge (all of which provide conflicting results to the same answer in the practical world just BTW) we skip all that BS and stick to "factual knowledge" or whatever each group of philosophers are calling it these days, otherwise know as the scientific method...

BTW, straight away I can find a massive flaw in "inferential knowledge" and that's that a lot of things can be inferred from one accepted fact, to use an extreme example that for some reason came to mind, it could reasonably be inferred that because a person is a white supremacist that they are a Nazi, but though that is a reasonable inference not all white supremacist are Nazis (and not all Nazis are white supremacists for that matter).

And what the f##k is an awareness tangent...

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Seriously comparing a 6pm peak hour match played in a city where one team's followers live ATT 1 hour away ,compared to an 8pm start in a city of 2m, where all the kiddies are able to gather at will in a centralised area, because the time is more use friendly, defies logic.

Dude you do realise that Townsville is 15 hours away from Brisbane (by car)... And I dare say that quite a few of the Broncos fans had to travel more then an hour to get to the game.
Also it wasn't 8pm in Queensland... It was 7pm, no daylight saving in Queensland remember... And I'm told that half the crowd showed up at half time because of the scheduling... And you know that Sydney is a city of 5mil people...
And the only people you can blame for Rooster v Dogs game not being held in a centralised area are the clubs themselves...

Using your own logic the game in Sydney should have got at least a similar amount through the gate, if not significantly more...

taipan

Referee
Dude you do realise that Townsville is 15 hours away from Brisbane (by car)... And I dare say that quite a few of the Broncos fans had to travel more then an hour to get to the game.
Also it wasn't 8pm in Queensland... It was 7pm, no daylight saving in Queensland remember... And I'm told that half the crowd showed up at half time because of the scheduling... And you know that Sydney is a city of 5mil people...
And the only people you can blame for Rooster v Dogs game not being held in a centralised area are the clubs themselves...

Using your own logic the game in Sydney should have got at least a similar amount through the gate, if not significantly more...

I'm fully aware of that point, but fair to suggest the overwhelming majority of the attendees at Suncorp would be Brivegas locals.Hardly able to fly down.Just like many unable to get to the SFS in Sydney's peak hour schmozzle.
7pm on a Friday night even better,in Brisbane is even better for young families, who are able to get there on time.Hell out of 2m people.So they should .

Correct Sydney is a city of 5 million people ,with transport infrastructure that can it appears handle about half that number efficiently.Try it some times living in the outer areas.And you compare Sydney's transport issues with Brisbane at peak hours LOL.All cities have transport issues, some much worse than others.

6pm in Sydney on a weeknight is the problem dude not centralising.If it was at ANZ/Shark Park/Penrith Park/Brookvale,the same situation would apply.

A young women from the Illawarra made the point on the Sharks v Dragons' game on a Thursday night, in the Leader.Getting her young family who attend school and spending 1 hour at least to get to the ground mdd week with school etc, for a match finishing at near 10pm then driving home ,meant they had no chance .
And there is no chance in hell with me in the city getting to a 6pm game in teh Shire.
Ask yourself why 13,000 plus attendees,when a game like that played at decent hours would have at least dragged in 17,000.

It's scheduling ,not not the locale.
You tell me in your wisdom ,if a Sharks v Brookvale game was 6pm Friday ,how I could finish work, and commute to Brookvale Oval from Cronulla or the City to get there on time.

Stallion

First Grade
Uh huh, and that is evidence for or proves that the EPL is more popular and successful than the NFL how?

And what of all the fictional books, movies, tv shows, etc, that undoubtedly exist that reference the NFL? Is their cultural relevance not as significant or do they not matter?

And which culture are we measuring this relevance against?

How about instead of going into one of the multiple philosophical ways of finding knowledge (all of which provide conflicting results to the same answer in the practical world just BTW) we skip all that BS and stick to "factual knowledge" or whatever each group of philosophers are calling it these days, otherwise know as the scientific method...

BTW, straight away I can find a massive flaw in "inferential knowledge" and that's that a lot of things can be inferred from one accepted fact, to use an extreme example that for some reason came to mind, it could reasonably be inferred that because a person is a white supremacist that they are a Nazi, but though that is a reasonable inference not all white supremacist are Nazis (and not all Nazis are white supremacists for that matter).

And what the f##k is an awareness tangent...

What a laughable deflection! You seriously have no grasp of sporting reality! To think you believe that the NFL is more popular worldwide than the EPL. Incredibly ignorant! Btw. I spoke to a fellow teacher and he laughed at your assertion. He said "He must be an idiot!" I nodded my head.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm fully aware of that point, but fair to suggest the overwhelming majority of the attendees at Suncorp would be Brivegas locals.Hardly able to fly down.Just like many unable to get to the SFS in Sydney's peak hour schmozzle.
7pm on a Friday night even better,in Brisbane is even better for young families, who are able to get there on time.Hell out of 2m people.So they should .

Correct Sydney is a city of 5 million people ,with transport infrastructure that can it appears handle about half that number efficiently.Try it some times living in the outer areas.And you compare Sydney's transport issues with Brisbane at peak hours LOL.All cities have transport issues, some much worse than others.

6pm in Sydney on a weeknight is the problem dude not centralising.If it was at ANZ/Shark Park/Penrith Park/Brookvale,the same situation would apply.

A young women from the Illawarra made the point on the Sharks v Dragons' game on a Thursday night, in the Leader.Getting her young family who attend school and spending 1 hour at least to get to the ground mdd week with school etc, for a match finishing at near 10pm then driving home ,meant they had no chance .
And there is no chance in hell with me in the city getting to a 6pm game in teh Shire.
Ask yourself why 13,000 plus attendees,when a game like that played at decent hours would have at least dragged in 17,000.

It's scheduling ,not not the locale.
You tell me in your wisdom ,if a Sharks v Brookvale game was 6pm Friday ,how I could finish work, and commute to Brookvale Oval from Cronulla or the City to get there on time.

Don’t most people leave work at 5pm in Sydney on a Friday? Can you really not get to anz from most of Sydney population areas in an hour? If not it really is a sht city and I’m glad I choose not to move there lol.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You just don't fathom the main point of this discussion. It was essentially an argument stating that the names of clubs should be more generalised. This is flawed logic. Suburban Club names hold just as much appeal as other names do! Chelsea. Tottenham, Arsenal etc. They all have great drawing power and numerous fanbases. This can and is happening in the NRL with clubs of icomic and respected Sydney suburban names which your logic does not support .

No, he said the NFL was more successful than the EPL and provided figures to back it up.

Stallion

First Grade
No, he said the NFL was more successful than the EPL and provided figures to back it up.

Popularity! Thats the point. I believe that success should be measured by relevance and popularity. We differ. Good business doesn't mean the product isnt more popular. We differ!

taipan

Referee
Don’t most people leave work at 5pm in Sydney on a Friday? Can you really not get to anz from most of Sydney population areas in an hour? If not it really is a sht city and I’m glad I choose not to move there lol.

Of course ,but Sydney has office and business workers not only in the CBD,they do have families at home.
I worked in the city, even if I left spot on at 5pm,I would have to forget taking my family living in the Shire,and it would still take me at best 35 minutes to get to the SFS.
If I wanted to get to ANZ by 6pm ,I'd need a flying car, serious mate .Forget taking the family from the Shire/St George/Easternb suburbs,Parramatta,Penrith ,Campbelltown,Nth Sydney and Manly Warringah.

It takes a family with an excellent run to get from the Illawarra to get to Shark Park in 45 minutes.
I wouldn;t even attempt to try City to Brookvale 6pm game.

Clarification a great city, with wonderful beaches,Harbour,entertainment venues, but the crappiest transport infrastructure ever conceived by the human mind.
I believe the Sharks will be playing the Roosters at 6pm Friday night at Shark Park>Good luck with city workers and families getting there.

Stallion

First Grade
Of course ,but Sydney has office and business workers not only in the CBD,they do have families at home.
I worked in the city, even if I left spot on at 5pm,I would have to forget taking my family living in the Shire,and it would still take me at best 35 minutes to get to the SFS.
If I wanted to get to ANZ by 6pm ,I'd need a flying car, serious mate .Forget taking the family from the Shire/St George/Easternb suburbs,Parramatta,Penrith ,Campbelltown,Nth Sydney and Manly Warringah.

It takes a family with an excellent run to get from the Illawarra to get to Shark Park in 45 minutes.

Clarification a great city, with wonderful beaches,Harbour,entertainment venues, but the crappiest transport infrastructure ever conceived by the human mind.
I believe the Sharks will be playing the Roosters at 6pm Friday night at Shark Park>Good luck with city workers and families getting there.

6.30pm Friday would have been so much better for all concerned. But the 2nd game on channel 9 should just stay at 8pm or whatever it is. Im sure their would be an overlap occasionally but these times may be more fan friendly.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I get that, but this is a city of 5mill and we are only talking about 20,000 people being able to get to a game by 6pm. Of course not everyone can make it home and out again but surely 20k out of 5mill could get to the game, if the interest in going was big enough? It’s a stupid time for a game but I don’t buy that 4,988,000 couldn’t make it.

Stallion

First Grade
I get that, but this is a city of 5mill and we are only talking about 20,000 people being able to get to a game by 6pm. Of course not everyone can make it home and out again but surely 20k out of 5mill could get to the game, if the interest in going was big enough? It’s a stupid time for a game but I don’t buy that 4,988,000 couldn’t make it.

There are cultural and local allegiances in play for all sport PR. For instance some people may live across the road grom an NRL ground but will not attend if they don't like the visiting team like a Broncos at Shark Park. If its a local rivalry they may show up. But thats not a given either. I actually think what the Warriors did on the weekend with $15 tickets for the Titans game was a proactive call. Thinking that one less obstacle like exhorbitant ticket prices will help attendances especially with the tv coverage these days. Shame this was not thought of during the rugby league world cup!

taipan

Referee

Mate I don't care if it's. 15/20/25000 attendees ,there are a hell of a lot more (many very interested I suggest)who can't attend in a city of 5 million with a far greater geographical spread than Melbourne,and with far inferior road and rail transport infrastructure. 6pm in this city, is a slow moving car park.

Mate the salient point is family participation.Sunday arvo Shark Park is chockers full of families.Check the position on Thursday nights or Monday 6pm whilst dear old daddy is battling Sydney traffic.And learning new swear words on the way.

Of course you don't buy into it, you don't live here and put up with the daily grind.You're an armchair general living thousands of KMs away.

I asked a taxi driver the other day about Sydney traffic and peak hour.His comment "no matter what time of day in this city it is peak hour all day.Hence I paid $40 for a trip from Caringbah to Kogarah.

You have zero idea.
I repeat one more time fro the dummies.It's scheduling not location that is the problem.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
There are cultural and local allegiances in play for all sport PR. For instance some people may live across the road grom an NRL ground but will not attend if they don't like the visiting team like a Broncos at Shark Park. If its a local rivalry they may show up. But thats not a given either. I actually think what the Warriors did on the weekend with $15 tickets for the Titans game was a proactive call. Thinking that one less obstacle like exhorbitant ticket prices will help attendances especially with the tv coverage these days. Shame this was not thought of during the rugby league world cup!

That Thursday night game a local well liked derby ,would have grabbed another 4,000 on a Sunday arvo, making the place heave.
The scheduling decision was either.made out of ignorance or the standover tactics of Nein.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Popularity! Thats the point. I believe that success should be measured by relevance and popularity. We differ. Good business doesn't mean the product isnt more popular. We differ!

Relevance and popularity don't pay player salaries, allow the sport to invest in grass roots, promote the game etc. Money does that.

Stallion

First Grade
Relevance and popularity don't pay player salaries, allow the sport to invest in grass roots, promote the game etc. Money does that.

Got nothing to do with that. That's a commerce driven agenda. This is a sporting relevance concern. Like I stated we differ on what we class as successfull. I think genuine popularity and relevance to society. You think: how much a buck you can make out of people. We differ!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Got nothing to do with that. That's a commerce driven agenda. This is a sporting relevance concern. Like I stated we differ on what we class as successfull. I think genuine popularity and relevance to society. You think: how much a buck you can make out of people. We differ!

It's got everything to do with it. The very post we are discussing was PR proving to you that the NFL was more successful than the EPL.

Which would you rather have as a sport in Australia for example, the participation numbers and broad recognition of soccer? Or the AFL that is really only popular in half the country but has all the revenue in the world for promotion, grass roots funding, expansion etc.

Stallion

First Grade
It's got everything to do with it. The very post we are discussing was PR proving to you that the NFL was more successful than the EPL.

Which would you rather have as a sport in Australia for example, the participation numbers and broad recognition of soccer? Or the AFL that is really only popular in half the country but has all the revenue in the world for promotion, grass roots funding, expansion etc.

No. You still dont get it. Our definitions of success differ. I believe it to be based on popularity and cultural relevance. You believe it to be on whom can make the most money . We differ!

RedVee

First Grade
That Thursday night game a local well liked derby ,would have grabbed another 4,000 on a Sunday arvo, making the place heave.
The scheduling decision was either.made out of ignorance or the standover tactics of Nein.
Yeah, sell out or close on a sunny Sunday arvo.