What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

Perth Red

Post Whore
4 all Sydney clashes this weekend, that’s 8 Sydney teams played this round in Sydney, they just managed to get a higher attendance than one game in Brisbane. So much for tribalism! But yeh the city’s not oversaturated at all.

Manly v Penrith 10.5k
Sharks v st’s 13.5k
Penrith v Souths 16k
roosters v Bulldogs 12k

Avg 6.5k fans per club

taipan

Referee
4 all Sydney clashes this weekend, that’s 8 Sydney teams played this round in Sydney, they just managed to get a higher attendance than one game in Brisbane. So much for tribalism! But yeh the city’s not oversaturated at all.

Manly v Penrith 10.5k
Sharks v st’s 13.5k
Penrith v Souths 16k
roosters v Bulldogs 12k

Avg 6.5k fans per club

What a poorly thought out statement.
Manly played Parra for a start in 39degree heat.
Sharks played Dragons on a Thursday night ,well documented.
Penrith played Souths in 40 degree heat.
None of the above stadiums had more than 21,500 capacity.
Roosters played Bulldogs at 6pm ,Sydney peak hour.Well discussed here.
Can just see it .ooh it's 40 degrees, ideal to bring the family out, the sun never hurt anyone LOL.

Your comparison is like comparing a football game in a hurricane to one played in perfect conditions.
How many would have attended Suncorp in torrential rain?We know how it affects Perth crowds for NRL games.

Continue letting your hate for Sydney clubs, to dominate your daily thinking.It just turns off more people wanting a Perth team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And next week it will be raining and we’ll still have Thursday and Friday 6pm.
When your base avg is 15k it means your less optimal crowds will be 10k and your really bad days under 10k. Only way you can address it is better facilities to deal with weather and a higher baseline. If your avg’ing 20k your poor days are 15k and so on. There is no growth in crowds at Sydney clubs, hasn’t been for years. It’s not one off or cords but an absolute stagnation of supporter base for the game that is the big issue here.

taipan

Referee
And next week it will be raining and we’ll still have Thursday and Friday 6pm.
When your base avg is 15k it means your less optimal crowds will be 10k and your really bad days under 10k. Only way you can address it is better facilities to deal with weather and a higher baseline. If your avg’ing 20k your poor days are 15k and so on. There is no growth in crowds at Sydney clubs, hasn’t been for years. It’s not one off or cords but an absolute stagnation of supporter base for the game that is the big issue here.

Mate .Your hypocrisy shines through when you bag Sydney crowds due to rain.You used that very excuse when crowds drop for NRL games in Perth.A city that rarely gets the opportunity to see live NRL games.
How have the major Sydney crowd drawing clubs been over the years as a result of poor performances.
Dargons/Parramatta,Tigers,Dogs?
Oh wait 15,900 attend the Sharks v Cowboys game in Townsville."that's an ordinary crowd."I don't care of roads are awash,crocs patrolling the flooded streets and there is torrential, league lovers should get there regardless" is the PR motto.

Of course better facilities will assist.,that's a no brainer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate .Your hypocrisy shines through when you bag Sydney crowds due to rain.You used that very excuse when crowds drop for NRL games in Perth.A city that rarely gets the opportunity to see live NRL games.
How have the major Sydney crowd drawing clubs been over the years as a result of poor performances.
Dargons/Parramatta,Tigers,Dogs?
Oh wait 15,900 attend the Sharks v Cowboys game in Townsville."that's an ordinary crowd."I don't care of roads are awash,crocs patrolling the flooded streets and there is torrential, league lovers should get there regardless" is the PR motto.

Of course better facilities will assist.,that's a no brainer.

No I didn't, I called it a sht crowd which it was. Yeh weather was throwing it down but nib can hold a good 10k under cover at least so no excuse for less than 7k to show up. People are just soft and the supporter base and interest in the game is not high enough to sustain the poor times/weather/out of town teams/performances etc etc.

Where the game is at, 15k or over is ok to great depending on circumstances, under 15k is sht for a top tier sport regardless.
How many sub 15k crowds do you see in AFL or EPL or other top tier competitions around the world?

taipan

Referee
No I didn't, I called it a sht crowd which it was. Yeh weather was throwing it down but nib can hold a good 10k under cover at least so no excuse for less than 7k to show up. People are just soft and the supporter base and interest in the game is not high enough to sustain the poor times/weather/out of town teams/performances etc etc.

Where the game is at, 15k or over is ok to great depending on circumstances, under 15k is sht for a top tier sport regardless.
How many sub 15k crowds do you see in AFL or EPL or other top tier competitions around the world?

You need to check back whilst you acknowledged it was a sh*t crowd, like we acknowledge sh*t crowds at times in Sydney,you were quite happy to blame the weather.When we do likewise ,you bag us.

This people are soft is typical crap,coming from someone Nth England..

There was an NRL match played at Shark Park a couple of years ago, played in a Cat 1 Cyclone,4,000 attended some wearing wet suits.Wonder how many tough AFL fans would have attended at the SCG under those conditions.

This is the flipping 21st Century families want reasonable comfort and cover.

There are a multitude of factors taken into account re effect on crowds here,inftastrucutre,extreme weather, transport infrastructure,scheduling.Sydney is not Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth,where everything is pretty well centralised and all seater.
Seriously mate Sydney metro expanse could probably go close to encompassing Adelaide and Melbourne.
The Southern states have had zero competition from other codes for yonks, and they are as sucked into AFL as the Nth Koreans are to Kim Jon UN.

Well mate glad you mentioned the AFL.
There are a gazillion examples of sub 15,000 crowds in the Northern states for AFL, even with decent weather.Which supports my para above.The Swans had sh*t crowds prior to 95 SL war, and we know what happened since, all new stadium,centralised for their supporters and scheduled to please.

The whole of England /EPL could fit into NSW area wise.How many tropical cyclones hit England regularly.Or extreme weather 40degrees.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I don't think that the bold is really a fair assessment, I mean It's probably a factor but I don't think it's as significant as you are making out.

In this regard I can't really speak for Perth, Sydney, or anywhere else for that matter, but in Canberra's case the reason that the Raiders (and Brumbies, and other sporting events in general) get such low crowds hasn't got anything to do with a lack of interest or passion, interest and passion are certainly there, it's simply that the Raiders aren't very competitive within the marketplace for entertainment.

There're literally hundreds of other forms of entertainment (restaurants, Cinema, live shows, etc, etc) that are either a similar cost or significantly cheaper that are providing better or more unique experiences then the Raiders, for example for roughly the same cost as a ticketed Raiders membership one could go see 12 movies with 12 different dinners in a year and the experience would be significantly different each time, where as if they were to go to the Raiders once you've been to one game you've basically been to them all (apart from the odd classic game, winning season, etc), and even in saying that if we were to take into account the cost of actually attending a Raiders game for the average punter outside of just the price of admission it'd be significantly more expensive then your average outing to the movies and the comparative quality of the products you are receiving is way lower at the Raiders.

The problem that the Raiders (and I imagine the NRL in general) have is that they simply aren't competing with that, most people would prefer save their money to use on other things and still watch/listen to the game, and they aren't losing anything in not attending the game live cause their is very little in the live experience that you can't get through watching at home.

Traditionally the solution to this problem has been to continuously lower the cost of going to an NRL game, it doesn't really work to any significant degree and I don't think it'll ever work cause it doesn't matter how much you lower the prices it'll still never be able to compete with the movies, cause even if you could afford to make the cost of attending an NRL game the same going to the movies and catching a bite to eat (which I highly doubt you could do without the clubs running at a loss) an NRL game is still going to be roughly the same experience each time you attend and the quality of the products out side of games themselves are still going to be of a higher standard at the movies then at an NRL game.

I think that the only way that the NRL significantly and consistently increases crowds at their games is if they invest in the production value of NRL games, cause the only way that I think that the NRL can compete with the rest of the other forms of entertainment is if they invest in the entertainment and experience of a match day, and that added investment may mean that it becomes more expensive but people are willing to pay for a more expensive product so long as it's quality is worth the expense..

This post is pretty big now and I don't want to go on to much more so I'll just summarise ,and this may sound strange, that the NRL could learn a lot from large touring musical acts (particularly rock, metal, and hip hop acts) and things like the WWE and theater about crowd psychology, tacit crowd engagement, and the basic necessities of running a large technical event, and the NRL talking to people like that would do them the world of good without them carbon copying other direct competitors in the sports industry such as the AFL, which is a bad thing for heaps of reasons, but is best surmised as don't be followers unless you are willing to always be chancing the leaders, otherwise you'll just turnout as a poor mans versions of the thing you are copying.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can honestly say I’ve never walked out of a cinema and felt the elation you feel when you’ve watched your team win a good game. not sure you can really compare, people follow sports teams for emotive reasons and are looking for not only an enjoyable time at the game but the emotions that come with a win or loss.

What makes teams/sports popular and fans wanting to get out of their armchairs and get to games to experience that emotion.? That’s the million $ question.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I can honestly say I’ve never walked out of a cinema and felt the elation you feel when you’ve watched your team win a good game. not sure you can really compare, people follow sports teams for emotive reasons and are looking for not only an enjoyable time at the game but the emotions that come with a win or loss.

You, me, everyone on this forum only represent an extreme (if we are being honest an extreme of the extreme), we are the extreme example of people that really love either the sport or the club and take that fanaticism to the point that we religiously go to the games as much as possible, spend stupid money on it, and talk about it constantly on an internet forum.

Your average punter is not representative of that extreme, they are not looking for that feeling of elation of walking out after a win and all that goes along with it, they probably have never felt that emotion and don't even know it exists, they are simply looking for a good time and something fun and entertaining to do, and right now the NRL simply doesn't compete in that market.

What makes teams/sports popular and fans wanting to get out of their armchairs and get to games to experience that emotion.? That’s the million $ question.

If you were to ask me that question I'd say that the answer to the question doesn't really matter if nobody is coming through the gate in the first place and they never experience that emotion in the first place, cause if they never experience it in the first place then they aren't going to know what they are missing out on, it's not going to effect them, and they'll just continue to go to the movies, or do whatever else it is that floats their boat.
That is exactly why the NRL and the clubs need to invest into production value and needs to attempt to appeal to more people, and a much, much broader section of the population, cause maybe a lot of those people will only come though the gate once or twice, but that's still money the clubs wouldn't have seen before, and plenty will come back looking for that emotion once they have felt it and know it exists, and the best way to get them through the gate is to make them feel like it's a big event, and the only way to make them feel like it's a big event would be to treat every game is a big event.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Factors that influence (imo)

Price of tickets
Quality of stadium
Quality of game
Weather
Ease of access to the game (distance and KO time/day)
Hype for the game
General hype for the NRL
Experience at the game (food, seats, drink, fans around you, things for the kids, pre and post game opportunities etc)
Emotions relating to winning or losing

Its hard to tick all the boxes and some of them are very subjective to the individual and their expectations but at the moment the NRL and most clubs would be lucky to be graded an A in more than a couple of them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Factors that influence (imo)

Price of tickets
Quality of stadium
Quality of game
Weather
Ease of access to the game (distance and KO time/day)
Hype for the game
General hype for the NRL
Experience at the game (food, seats, drink, fans around you, things for the kids, pre and post game opportunities etc)
Emotions relating to winning or losing

Its hard to tick all the boxes and some of them are very subjective to the individual and their expectations but at the moment the NRL and most clubs would be lucky to be graded an A in more than a couple of them.

Sure (though again you're focusing quite a bit on what attracts the extreme instead of what appeals to the majority, the larger audience that isn't already following the NRL religiously or going to as many games as possible and is just out for a good time) but if you get an A in all three of these people will generally let the others slide-
Price of tickets
General hype for the NRL
And in my opinion you couldn't make an NRL game much cheaper than it is now without running at a loss, so they need to focus on hype and quality, and the only way the actual quality of the event is going to increase to any measurable degree at this point is if they invest in production values and learn how to control a crowd, cause the product on the field (apart from the refereeing) is the best it's ever been. After those things are fixed the hype takes care of it's self with basic marketing and advertising.

BTW I consider the game to be part of the experience of the game day, not separate to the experience at game day, and I think this is a large part of the problem that the NRL has.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I think that the only way that the NRL significantly and consistently increases crowds at their games is if they invest in the production value of NRL games, cause the only way that I think that the NRL can compete with the rest of the other forms of entertainment is if they invest in the entertainment and experience of a match day, and that added investment may mean that it becomes more expensive but people are willing to pay for a more expensive product so long as it's quality is worth the expense..

Sport, in general, cannot get crowds up by reducing prices. The only way to increase is to raise the excitement or excel at making it a habit/tradition. I paid $110 each to watch an average NBA game in New York Madison Sq Gardens. 2 reasons: Novelty of going to the NBA and Attending a game at MSG.

I would say 40% of the crowd were tourists.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And in my opinion you couldn't make an NRL game much cheaper than it is now without running at a loss, .

Not convinced that is true. A lot of clubs take less than $2mill in gate receipts over the course of a season. the NRL grant has juts gone up $3mill over cap. Even if they let everyone in for free they'd still be up on last years revenue for most clubs!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sport, in general, cannot get crowds up by reducing prices. The only way to increase is to raise the excitement or excel at making it a habit/tradition. I paid $110 each to watch an average NBA game in New York Madison Sq Gardens. 2 reasons: Novelty of going to the NBA and Attending a game at MSG.

I would say 40% of the crowd were tourists.

For a one off yeh you can find the money but every other week? Not sure it needs to be much lower but I do think the big price difference between GA and decent seats is a factor. Personally Id like to see a set price ticketed membership of equivalent to say $30 a game in the best seats then $15 adult $5 child tickets for GA areas. Its no surprise that the $20 seats at the Perth DH'er were packed out.

Look at the crowds for AFLW when you make it free or min cost to get in! Who'd have thought a women's footy game could get 20k plus people at it?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not convinced that is true. A lot of clubs take less than $2mill in gate receipts over the course of a season. the NRL grant has juts gone up $3mill over cap. Even if they let everyone in for free they'd still be up on last years revenue for most clubs!

Frankly I don't really consider NRL grants profit... But to be fair that's probably just me.

The whole point is mute anyway cause the game has been constantly reducing prices for 15 years and realistically there's been no significant change in attendance despite this fact so it's not working.

The only way forward is either to rely on the fans to create their own atmosphere to attract attention like in soccer in Europe, which has basically never worked in Australia for whatever reasons and on the very rare occasion that it has worked it's instantly been killed by the authorities so it's very unlikely that is ever going to happen either, or invest in production values and build your own atmosphere, event culture, etc, American style...

Either way they need to at least try something different.

siv

First Grade
TV was the original reason why crowds dropped in the 60s

Whether you like or not

This weekend you can go and see 4 RL games for $5. Free parking, sit on the halfway line in the shade or under cover, normal priced food

Then wander home and watch 5 games of RL at home 2 NSW Cup followed by 3 NRL

All you have to do is use your Foxtel recording device

Sit back on your 65 inch screen have a 6 pack of proper beer, have a pizza home delivered

Theres no RG or U20s on match day - so your not missing anything. In fact you get to see more footy for your hard earned dollar. With no parking issues or being caught drink driving

Tell me how you can top that

Perth Red

Post Whore
TV was the original reason why crowds dropped in the 60s

Whether you like or not

This weekend you can go and see 4 RL games for $5. Free parking, sit on the halfway line in the shade or under cover, normal priced food

Then wander home and watch 5 games of RL at home 2 NSW Cup followed by 3 NRL

All you have to do is use your Foxtel recording device

Sit back on your 65 inch screen have a 6 pack of proper beer, have a pizza home delivered

Theres no RG or U20s on match day - so your not missing anything. In fact you get to see more footy for your hard earned dollar. With no parking issues or being caught drink driving

Tell me how you can top that

You can top it by going to go the game and feeling like you are a part of something, not just a passive 1/2 interested observer.
I can sit at home, have a pizza delivered, crack open some beers and put on a CD but in no way does it compare to the experience of going to see that band play live at a concert.
If you get no different emotion or experience watching a gameo n TV than being at the ground then your correct. and there's nothing the NRL can do to encourage you to a game. But for most if you are a fan of the game or clubs playing then being at a game, being part of the atmosphere, cheering from the stand, getting the buzz when the teams run out, having the memory of being part of that win or loss etc is why you would get off your ar5e and out of the house.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You can top it by going to go the game and feeling like you are a part of something, not just a passive 1/2 interested observer.
I can sit at home, have a pizza delivered, crack open some beers and put on a CD but in no way does it compare to the experience of going to see that band play live at a concert.
If you get no different emotion or experience watching a gameo n TV than being at the ground then your correct. and there's nothing the NRL can do to encourage you to a game. But for most if you are a fan of the game or clubs playing then being at a game, being part of the atmosphere, cheering from the stand, getting the buzz when the teams run out, having the memory of being part of that win or loss etc is why you would get off your ar5e and out of the house.

And here in lies the NRL's problem...

For most people the hassle and cost of actually attending isn't worth the experience that you get at the game. So the NRL (probably more specifically the clubs) need to change the experience to make it more appealing, and the cheap as possible family friendly thing obviously isn't working.

The NRL needs to differentiate it's self from the competition, you can get the family friendly at any sporting event, but you can only get x at the NRL is what they need to be going for in my opinion.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Foxtel = approx $50-60 a month for every game live (depending on your pack/deal)

Leichhardt = approx $55-60 for one person to get in, 2 beers and a burger.

Live TV saturation has killed off the incentive to go to a game for me. When I was a young bloke and the maggies or Wests tigers weren't on tele live you could find me at the game but now pfft unless it's a semi final :( I can't be bothered.

Latest posts