What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has richardson been neutured?

Diesel

Referee
Local support is important when thinking of expansion.

If Easts fans are all interstate/national what is the point of keeping them in sydney.

Whereas penrith and cronulla dont really have any fans outside of their home base not much point moving them.

Interesting point about Cronulla, I see no Cronulla jerseys in Brisbane yet there was talk in 2013 about moving them to the QLD. Hard to see relocation working anywhere in QLD

Perth Red

Post Whore
The tv ratings for union is better then they are for league in perth.

A rugby league team would undoubtedly do well in perth, if the team was shit it would get shit crowds like any club, but when it was good it will get good crowds.

Not to mention it will introduce heaps and heaps and heaps of new people to rugby league and give rugby league people in perth something to follow in stead of switching to other codes.
RU is is stronger than RL in Perth in every way because the NRL continue to ignore the place, not because union is abettor game,

BODISGOD

Bench
I'll measure success in terms of TV ratings for Wallabies and Super 15 games,local crowds and Financial results...

Like I said.., the Force only need to exist for them to be a success in your estimation, particularly given your bitterness around Perth not having an NRL team..

That's a ridiculously short term state of mind and completely ridiculous metrics to solely judge the success of something.

There are very few sports teams in the world who will attract in number crowds and audiences if they are playing poorly.

Expansion is about either spreading yourself into an area with an audience not exploited yet or building a new one, as was the case in Perth.

siv

First Grade
Well that article suggests he is on the outer within the ARLC

And now looking for his next gig

Perth Red

Post Whore
not surprised, I get the feeling him and Smith had a radical plan for the NRL but the dinosaurs once again got their way and same old same old is what we end up with.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Who are the dinosaurs?

Assume Grant and Greenberg?

Or are they just weaklings who gave into the dinosaurs?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd say primarily club chairmen and some of the commission. Grant leading that. I have little faith in the guy or his ability to take RL to the next level in this country. Everything that has happened smacks of Grant protecting his cosy position as head of ARLC. Rushed TV deal, caving in to Fox, big pay outs to clubs, getting rid of Smith, an ineffective whole of game report by Richardson. All of these things keep the status quo and Grant in a comfortable position.

siv

First Grade
PRed I see the issue more around sorting out the clubs signature long term

They were too powerful and this needed to get sorted first

While News Ltd was gone the old NSWRL Sydney powerhouse has returned in its place

Richo wanted a 1900 style RU revolution

Without taking into account the needs of the NSWRL or the NRL clubs

The 50-50 nature of requirements has been a ongoing issue since 1995

We keep trying to come up with one show fits all - when in fact it may need two shoes or multiple solutions

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'd say primarily club chairmen and some of the commission. Grant leading that. I have little faith in the guy or his ability to take RL to the next level in this country. Everything that has happened smacks of Grant protecting his cosy position as head of ARLC. Rushed TV deal, caving in to Fox, big pay outs to clubs, getting rid of Smith, an ineffective whole of game report by Richardson. All of these things keep the status quo and Grant in a comfortable position.

Yet you have faith in Richo?

Why? Isn't he still there at NRL HQ?

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Didnt see much whole of game in the report tbh. May as well call it the state cup re-structure and nrl contracts report. Nothing on expansion or even long term goals for the footprint at nrl level, nothing on keeping juniors in the game past 15 against the body types of faster developing Islanders, nothing on improving the non-heartland states, canning the NYC next year with no clear strategy to replace it yet. Demeaning internationals with the kangaroo off year.

Some good ideas regarding contracts and age resrictions but i didnt see anything to suggest they will be assisting regional areas to field sides in the harold matts etc.... so that the players who cannot sign with nrl clubs until 17yo have elite rep sides in their region. And i thought the whole point of these recomendations was to keep players at home longer yet no clear steps to acheive that have been put on paper.

The whole thing has left me a bit dissolusioned with the sport on this country

BuffaloRules

Coach
The whole thing has left me a bit dissolusioned with the sport on this country

I gotta agree with you mate.

Firstly the TV deal and then Richo's report ( particularly the silence about expansion) has left me in a funk about our game.

I can't reconcile this depression that is coinciding with a period when an unbelievable amount of money is flowing into the NRL.

Someone needs to do something but I can't imagine who will be the person to step up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think its because previously we could blame news ltd co ownership, Gallops ineffectiveness as a leader and the ARL's general malaise as the other co owner alongside lack of money in the game.

With the game owning itself again and massive increases in revenue I guess the excuses are gone so now it just comes down to what is the vision for the game and at this point after nearly 4 years it would seem the ARLC still don't have much of an appetite to make RL the biggest national game in the country. We had a false dawn in Smith who seemed to be an outsider that would not curtail to the media and clubs and could see what the game could be but he has now gone and is set to be replaced by a yet another internal game guy by the looks of it. That is the frustration of those who are interested beyond how well their NRL club is going to go this year.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Richo for years has talked up expansion and was big part in thinking outside the square to turn Souths around. His report smacks of interference and pre determined no action. The fact the TV was rushed and dictated his report outcomes in regards to expansion says it all really. How long he will be there we shall see.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Richo for years has talked up expansion and was big part in thinking outside the square to turn Souths around. His report smacks of interference and pre determined no action. The fact the TV was rushed and dictated his report outcomes in regards to expansion says it all really. How long he will be there we shall see.

Seriously... He has " talked up" expansion?

Talk is cheap...

If he really wanted to make a difference re expansion and had some kahunas he would have walked by now...seems like he mightn't be unemployed long..

Last edited:

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Richo has always been all talk.. the guy is useless but has managed to talk his way in to many high paying jobs.. It is a case of who you know not what you know... He will probably end up back at Souths.. he travelled to the UK late last year to bring Sam Burgess back to Souths (I mean the NRL lol).

reanimate

Bench
Imagine if the big 1995 expansion wave had never happened and the Warriors never existed- picture trying to get this mob to expand into another country, we wouldn't see an NZ side for another 30 years.

That's how dumb their approach is, they want to sit on their hands for another 5-7 years, minimum, when there's an ultra-safe expansion location crying out for a team (Brisbane 2), a tv cash and time slot generator location (Perth) and another overseas city that could support a team (Wellington/Christchurch)- they just have to pull the trigger and do it! There'll be short term pain, but the long term gain is immense- imagine if the Warriors were never brought in; the Auckland 9s would never exist, the numbers of NZ juniors playing RL would be far fewer, the international game would be weaker, our NZ tv revenue would be significantly less and the Warriors' massive merchandise machine wouldn't exist (which generates great exposure for the game in NZ). Starting now means ever growing benefits in the future.

It's not like anyone's proposing expanding to South Africa or any other wild ideas, the expansion options we have are all quite safe.

Last Week

Bench
Interesting thought. How did Arko and Quale sell the mass expansion of the game to the clubs back then? They were more dinosaurs than the current club execs, so there must have been some sell.

Latest posts