What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has richardson been neutured?

siv

First Grade
As silly as it sounds

Promotion relegation suddenly brings huge interest into the second tier

How it would work

Promote winner of Southern League and winner of Northern League to make it a 18 team competition

Then we have a 4 way playoff last two teams v the two SL and NL winners with the top 2 teams promoted

Where NL v SL GF counts as one match just as the last regular season encounter counts for the bottom two teams

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yeah it does sound pretty silly...

And about as likely a chance of happening as me having sex with Miranda Kerr...

Perth Red

Post Whore
They averaged 26K their first year and this has declined each year to around 12k.

You would be hard pressed to find a bigger drop off in any sport in the country..

If NRL couldn't beat that than lets not bother with a team over there...

Still better than a number of NRL clubs, and the Warriors went from 26k to under 9k. Like I said they have been pretty terrible on the field since their inception so no surprise their crowds have struggled. Still hundred times more than the NRL has done in wa in last decade.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As silly as it sounds

Promotion relegation suddenly brings huge interest into the second tier

How it would work

Promote winner of Southern League and winner of Northern League to make it a 18 team competition

Then we have a 4 way playoff last two teams v the two SL and NL winners with the top 2 teams promoted

Where NL v SL GF counts as one match just as the last regular season encounter counts for the bottom two teams

There would need to be a few big restrictions on a P&R system...

First, the ARLC would need to be able to determine where teams play so we dont have some crazy situation with no QLD teams and 8 rural NSW clubs. Maybe offer 16 licences with X in ANZ stadium, Y in Suncorp, etc. to make sure the spread is consistant.

Also i dont like the idea of clubs being moved purely on on-field performance; we could have situation of popular teams having 1 bad season (like Knights-2005).

A system based on membership numbers (ARLC autherised, so no handing out free ones with Maccas meals) would be great; bring fan participation into the decision and add a bit of fluidity into the 16 clubs used. It would give the Bears/anyone else an institutionalised avenue to reenter the comp and their fans would have a positive means of expressing this support (the current fall-back seems to be boycotting games). It would also mean fans need to become menbers to keep their team around.

And the ARLC would have a much easier time redistrubuting teams; add one licence somewhere or move one just means the least supported team misses out (their own fault).

BuffaloRules

Coach
if you get relegated, does the team still get the NRL grant to pay their contracted players the following season?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Still better than a number of NRL clubs, and the Warriors went from 26k to under 9k. Like I said they have been pretty terrible on the field since their inception so no surprise their crowds have struggled. Still hundred times more than the NRL has done in wa in last decade.

Just because you have a team somewhere it's in itself no automatic measure of success..

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
No such thing as guaranteed success in any aspect of life! Good planning, investment and the right timing are what's needed. But to say expansion of union ands afl is an unmitigated failure is nonsense.

Pommy

Coach
if you get relegated, does the team still get the NRL grant to pay their contracted players the following season?

This would be the real issue, in the PL teams still get TV money for four seasons after they are relegated in to the Championship although it decreases each season.
Where is the NRL going to find the money to do something similar?
If there was no such system then you effectively strip the club of its entire squad almost by default. Which would put them at a real disadvantage to the rest of the teams in the second tier as they would be trying to put together a team in a single summer that could compete with teams which have been built over a few years.
I can't see relegation and promotion happening in the NRL ever.

BuffaloRules

Coach
This would be the real issue, in the PL teams still get TV money for four seasons after they are relegated in to the Championship although it decreases each season.
Where is the NRL going to find the money to do something similar?
If there was no such system then you effectively strip the club of its entire squad almost by default. Which would put them at a real disadvantage to the rest of the teams in the second tier as they would be trying to put together a team in a single summer that could compete with teams which have been built over a few years.
I can't see relegation and promotion happening in the NRL ever.

Relegation is the dumbest idea of all... Normally the people that put it forward half half a brain cell between them when it comes to the real issues why it won't work.

Does any sport do it other than soccer?

siv

First Grade

The promotoon game in England is known ad the 1 mil pound game

As the team.promoted gets that cash to get setup

In theory you go from Tier 1 grant to a Tier 2 grant ie 7 mil to 400k today..but this would meed to be changed

Perth Red

Post Whore
It hasn't been a success.

In your opinion. Tripled jnrs, govt funded state of the art hq, third best supported sports club in Perth,,regular internationals played in Perth, much bigger media profile, producing first graders etc etc. if they ever get a winning team their crowds will be bigger than 75% of NRL clubs. hardly a failure, sadly! The lack of NRL expansion is celebrated most by the western force trust me, with RL being so poorly funded here they have pretty much free reign on the talented non afl playing 16 year olds, Main reason the SG ball team was started to try and stem the flow.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The promotoon game in England is known ad the 1 mil pound game

As the team.promoted gets that cash to get setup

In theory you go from Tier 1 grant to a Tier 2 grant ie 7 mil to 400k today..but this would meed to be changed

So how does the relegated team pay for all the players they have contracted for the following season with $400k?

Obviously the answer is they don't... So does that mean that players only sign one year contracts in case their club gets relegated?

BuffaloRules

Coach
In your opinion. Tripled jnrs, govt funded state of the art hq, third best supported sports club in Perth,,regular internationals played in Perth, much bigger media profile, producing first graders etc etc. if they ever get a winning team their crowds will be bigger than 75% of NRL clubs. hardly a failure, sadly! The lack of NRL expansion is celebrated most by the western force trust me, with RL being so poorly funded here they have pretty much free reign on the talented non afl playing 16 year olds, Main reason the SG ball team was started to try and stem the flow.

I'll measure success in terms of TV ratings for Wallabies and Super 15 games,local crowds and Financial results...

Like I said.., the Force only need to exist for them to be a success in your estimation, particularly given your bitterness around Perth not having an NRL team..

siv

First Grade
Beware what lies beneath

One thing I have noticed he doesnt change his stripes

He maybe slowed but the plan never changes

papabear

Juniors
I'll measure success in terms of TV ratings for Wallabies and Super 15 games,local crowds and Financial results...

Like I said.., the Force only need to exist for them to be a success in your estimation, particularly given your bitterness around Perth not having an NRL team..

The tv ratings for union is better then they are for league in perth.

A rugby league team would undoubtedly do well in perth, if the team was shit it would get shit crowds like any club, but when it was good it will get good crowds.

Not to mention it will introduce heaps and heaps and heaps of new people to rugby league and give rugby league people in perth something to follow in stead of switching to other codes.

mongoose

Coach
wests are weak now... but really give them a bit of success and they will be much stronger.

on field success being equal imo the least supported clubs are

1 - Manly
1 - Easts
3 - Penrith
4 - Cronulla
------
5 - dogs/tigers/souths
8 - st g / parra

tbh I think st george will drop down soon as all their fans are old and on there way.

You cant kick penrith because despite their lack of fans they have a shitload of juniors and are well entrenched in their community.

Manly and easts could go, but imo you would be better of reincarnating a northern super club out of manly ie the northern manly bear eagles that play on the central coast sometimes.

and easts well who gives a f**k where they play, but im sure there supporters dont just support them because of their location.

I would think the Roosters have more fans than Penrith, Cronulla and Manly. They probably just don't live in the eastern suburbs anymore due to it being so unaffordable. The Roosters have pretty good support here in QLD. While you will find very few Penrith and Cronulla fans up here.

papabear

Juniors
I would think the Roosters have more fans than Penrith, Cronulla and Manly. They probably just don't live in the eastern suburbs anymore due to it being so unaffordable. The Roosters have pretty good support here in QLD. While you will find very few Penrith and Cronulla fans up here.

Local support is important when thinking of expansion.

If Easts fans are all interstate/national what is the point of keeping them in sydney.

Whereas penrith and cronulla dont really have any fans outside of their home base not much point moving them.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Can OP include a poll so we can vote whether he was neutered or was he in Grant's anti expansion camp from the start?