What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler to coach in 2018

Lethal25

Juniors
I think Mary will see out the season and no caretaker will come in, Des will be here in 2018 however. I wouldn't be surprised if the deal is already done but announcement is being held off.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I think Mary will see out the season and no caretaker will come in, Des will be here in 2018 however. I wouldn't be surprised if the deal is already done but announcement is being held off.

I would be amazed if the club has even spoken to Hasler knowing their past track record. They will wait to see what happens to Mary before making any plans and as a result will miss out on the available top coaching talent...

BrissyRedV

Bench
Surely if they have something that big in the bag, they would release the news? The club is under pressure financially and having something like that come out would boost morale, increase membership and maybe even crowd numbers. I don't see how it could be construed as a negative for this season if they did announce it.

Lethal25

Juniors
Surely if they have something that big in the bag, they would release the news? The club is under pressure financially and having something like that come out would boost morale, increase membership and maybe even crowd numbers. I don't see how it could be construed as a negative for this season if they did announce it.
From what I've heard they wanted Hasler for 2017 but Dogs wanted compensation. I don't disagree that it would be positive news but I do understand it's extremely early to be making such an announcement. I really do hope this comes to fruition

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would be amazed if the club has even spoken to Hasler knowing their past track record. They will wait to see what happens to Mary before making any plans and as a result will miss out on the available top coaching talent...

Bang on.

In fact, I firmly believe the next long term Dragons' coach will be a choice of Hornby, Head, or Young.

BrissyRedV

Bench
From what I've heard they wanted Hasler for 2017 but Dogs wanted compensation. I don't disagree that it would be positive news but I do understand it's extremely early to be making such an announcement. I really do hope this comes to fruition
A precedent was set with Hunt so I don't really see the difference when it comes to coaching except perhaps, that it is contradiction to the clubs management insistence that Mary can coach and their decision to keep one of the old boys club on. I hope you are right and all comes off. It would be a massive coup and finally a step in the right direction for the club.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Bang on.

In fact, I firmly believe the next long term Dragons' coach will be a choice of Hornby, Head, or Young.
Knowing the clubs management history with appointments, this is the most likely scenario to happen. Very little foresight again as if they were to go with a rookie AGAIN, the best option going around they just released to the Broncos and could have nearly filled their criteria of having to have been a part of the club at some point.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If we have a "new" coach from outside then great and whoever they are will bring some much needed fresh blood to us.
However, don't be surprised if Hornby is appointed as HC. The reason would be of course that he has been an assistant first grade coach for several seasons now, co-HC of the U20's, and the kicker, was called in as an assistant to the Australian HC where his talents were obviously noted.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Unless it only verbal agreement and they have asked to keep it to themselves as he is still coaching a nrl team.

The Doc

Juniors
Lmfaooo yes great idea...
We have a coach now still coaching, and the new coach has a team to coach this year also.
Lets just let the cat out of the bag and take no consideration to the effects it will have on Haslers team this year and the effects it will have on his coaching as some players might lose interest in performing for him.
And lets not take into account it will have on OUR players and our season.
Very smart guys... Great thinking guys...

BrissyRedV

Bench
Lmfaooo yes great idea...
We have a coach now still coaching, and the new coach has a team to coach this year also.
Lets just let the cat out of the bag and take no consideration to the effects it will have on Haslers team this year and the effects it will have on his coaching as some players might lose interest in performing for him.
And lets not take into account it will have on OUR players and our season.
Very smart guys... Great thinking guys...
We are buggered anyway and who cares about the Dogs? If an agreement has been made why not announce it? A precedent has been set by the Dogs and Hasler in 2011 although in that case he was released for the 2012 season so its not like it hasn't happened before.

Lethal25

Juniors
A precedent was set with Hunt so I don't really see the difference when it comes to coaching except perhaps, that it is contradiction to the clubs management insistence that Mary can coach and their decision to keep one of the old boys club on. I hope you are right and all comes off. It would be a massive coup and finally a step in the right direction for the club.
I disagree about the precedent with Hunt.

We needed a play maker, players off contract etc. It's not like they've punted anyone to fit Ben Hunt in, the head coach has only one position not a squad.

If you come out before a balls even been kicked and say the coach is gone then all supporters would be wondering why he's still there given recent performances, in my opinion it would just create more angst

BrissyRedV

Bench
If you come out before a balls even been kicked and say the coach is gone then all supporters would be wondering why he's still there given recent performances, in my opinion it would just create more angst
Perhaps the previous precedent is more suitable for the Des situation seeing as it involved both him and the initial move to the Dogs.

Anyway, we are already wondering why he is still there and if this forum is anything to go by, I don't think there could be anymore angst. I do get your point, but IMO, if there had been a deal signed we would know about it and I think it would at least give us fans a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. It may increase membership numbers as some fans that didn't re-new may as they see change coming as well as a number of other benefits.

As for the players, they are all still playing for contracts and their futures so I cannot see it affecting them that much. If they want top dollar, they will perform no matter what is going on. Personally, I think ol' twinkletoes is on the money. Des probably hasn't even been approached yet.

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes , I believe that you are pretty close on the money there . I , we , have all said when the news first broke of the possibility of Dessie coming to the Dragons , that the signing of a 1st rate coach must have top priority .
The Dragons board could not stand around with their hands in their pockets , hoping that best available coach was going to fall into their laps .

So at this point of season 2017 , you would at the very least , had expected the board to have made more than just preliminary enquiries . At any well run club , I am sure that they would had wined and dined their target by now .
As far as a signature on a contract is concerned , perhaps sometime later , possibly a month or two down the track .

However , as you have said Twinkletoes , with the track record of our mob , they may still very well believe that the best coach will arrive on the clubs doorstep in the next thunderstorm .

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Didn't Bennett in his wisdom, announce in the very first week of his final year that he was going to Newcastle?
To throw petrol on the fire, he then proceeded to take our players with him ( Beau Scott )
All that in the first week of 2011 nrl season.

getsmarty

Immortal
Didn't Bennett in his wisdom, announce in the very first week of his final year that he was going to Newcastle?
To throw petrol on the fire, he then proceeded to take our players with him ( Beau Scott )
All that in the first week of 2011 nrl season.

From memory, we didn't offer Beau Scott a contract. He then spoke to Bennett who jumped on it. Another smart move by our board. Deemed too old!!!

twinkletoes

Juniors
I don't even know where this rumour about Hasler coaching us came from...it sounds just like the Cleary is coming saga from last season. From what I see there is no credible source for jumping to conclusions that our Board has even spoken to any coaches.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I don't even know where this rumour about Hasler coaching us came from...it sounds just like the Cleary is coming saga from last season. From what I see there is no credible source for jumping to conclusions that our Board has even spoken to any coaches.
There is one reliable source on JA suggesting it is legit. But as always, nothing is confirmed until there is a Friday press conference.