What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hutchison suffers ACL Injury

I see you conveniently ignored my question so I will ask it again, think to yourself this, how many other NRL teams would he be the starting number 7 for?
You can ask as much as you like.

You have based everything off 4 games in first grade when it takes any young half time to adapt.

Think about who the coach is and you may get some insight into why any young player would struggle with no real attacking structure hell even a international standard 5/8 looks utter shit.

Lets see
Townsend had until this year been totally inconsistant thats why they off loaded him to the Warriors.
Taylor is a good young number 7 and is better then Hutchison but time will tell as the Titans are an inconsistant club at best.
Cleary also a great number 7 and is allowed to play freely thats why he looks good but again plays for an inconsistant side.

The Dragons are a club that nearly kills halves due to poor coaching.

Hutchison played well last year for the Cutters for the simple fact he had a coach who could coach.

Throwing the Dufty line in seriously can you be anymore smug,

Eastview

Juniors
You can ask as much as you like.

You have based everything off 4 games in first grade when it takes any young half time to adapt.

Think about who the coach is and you may get some insight into why any young player would struggle with no real attacking structure hell even a international standard 5/8 looks utter shit.

Lets see
Townsend had until this year been totally inconsistant thats why they off loaded him to the Warriors.
Taylor is a good young number 7 and is better then Hutchison but time will tell as the Titans are an inconsistant club at best.
Cleary also a great number 7 and is allowed to play freely thats why he looks good but again plays for an inconsistant side.

The Dragons are a club that nearly kills halves due to poor coaching.

Hutchison played well last year for the Cutters for the simple fact he had a coach who could coach.

Throwing the Dufty line in seriously can you be anymore smug,
The Cutters/20's is a completely different kettle of fish compared to 1st grade, just ask Beau Henry.

I am basing my opinion on the fact that he has not shown one glimpse of talent to suggest he will make it in first grade. Remember the Charity Shield last year? That was a no pressure trial game and he was absolute rubbish. Cody Walker killed it and he had not even played a game of first grade (I'm hoping Nona can do the same as he will be a similar age as Walker was last year but with Illawarra's love child as coach I'm not getting my hopes up). Walker went one to have a massive year whist Hutchinson just bombed.

Talk to anyone outside of the Dragons fan base (an a fair few inside it) and get their opinion of Hutchinson and you will find your man crush isn't rated by most.

goggles

Juniors
I think he could be a very good organising half back. I know there is a lot of talk about him going to the forwards, but I personally hope he doesn't. He is not a flashy type, but I don't mind that at all. He's got a good footy brain and could ultimately turn into a very good first grad standard half back; especially with a Field 'type' player outside him. Only time will tell, but it is a big call to so vehemently write him off at such a young age...

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Hutchison has had no time to settle in.
I thought that he played well in the Nines this year. He played well in his last game in the NRL. He typically sets up others to attack but in his last few
games he scored two tries by running through the gap himself.

BennyV

Referee
Unfortunately, Hutch will not get an opportunity to be the long term halfback for the Dragons.

He will be out for the 2017 season, which was his chance to show that he can make it. By the end of this season, we will have decided on our long term halfback moving forward, whether that's Mann, Nona or someone recruited externally. (If we havent, and he go into 2018 with a 'see how Hutch goes' attitude, we are well and truly f**ked).
2018 will be Jai Field's trial at 5/8, so Hutch has a CHANCE to nab the 6 jersey in the long term, but it's a very small chance.

As it stands, his best opportunity for a first grade career starting 2018 is To convert himself to a ball playing lock role. Not the worst option, could add a glorious new dimension to our attack and it's not a huge jump from him. But saving a monstrous f**k up in our recruitment for 2018, his opportunity for the 7 jumper passed him with this injury.

Harsh? Yes. But it's the reality of the situation.

The Cutters/20's is a completely different kettle of fish compared to 1st grade, just ask Beau Henry.

I am basing my opinion on the fact that he has not shown one glimpse of talent to suggest he will make it in first grade. Remember the Charity Shield last year? That was a no pressure trial game and he was absolute rubbish. Cody Walker killed it and he had not even played a game of first grade (I'm hoping Nona can do the same as he will be a similar age as Walker was last year but with Illawarra's love child as coach I'm not getting my hopes up). Walker went one to have a massive year whist Hutchinson just bombed.

Talk to anyone outside of the Dragons fan base (an a fair few inside it) and get their opinion of Hutchinson and you will find your man crush isn't rated by most.
As soon as you used the term man crush my thoughts on you became clear.

I would say what I think but i'll be polite.

giboz71

First Grade
Hutch may very well have talent, but none of us are ever going to find out with McGregor as the coach, and zero mentors around him. The poor kid never had a chance here. He would have had this year to show his wares, but he's playing for a bottom 4 team, so doubt it would have stopped us chasing an established 7.

Compare him to Cleary who has Moylan and Wallace to babysit him, and Taylor who has Neil Henry in his corner. Hutch has Mary and Widdop who have killed the careers of all our recent 7's.

Ball playing lock maybe an option, but if I was advising the kid, I'd be telling him to takes his talents elsewhere with a fresh start, a proper coach and good mentors around him.

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
Hutch may very well have talent, but none of us are ever going to find out with McGregor as the coach, and zero mentors around him. The poor kid never had a chance here. He would have had this year to show his wares, but he's playing for a bottom 4 team, so doubt it would have stopped us chasing an established 7.

Compare him to Cleary who has Moylan and Wallace to babysit him, and Taylor who has Neil Henry in his corner. Hutch has Mary and Widdop who have killed the careers of all our recent 7's.

Ball playing lock maybe an option, but if I was advising the kid, I'd be telling him to takes his talents elsewhere with a fresh start, a proper coach and good mentors around him.
Agree, who knows what Mary's instructions were to Hutch in the few nrl games that he played.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
CRUEL NEWS FOR DREW
SPARE a thought for St George Illawarra’s injured halfback Drew Hutchison. It’s bad enough that he suffered a season-ending knee injury earlier this year. Now the Dragons have told the 22-year-old he is a free agent for next season. It’s understandable considering Ben Hunt is joining from Brisbane on $1.2 million a year but it goes to show the NRL is not always a glamorous and cruisy life for some of the unluckier footballers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/e4a8d42c3668b61a9028497efed46b9e

sco22

Juniors
CRUEL NEWS FOR DREW
SPARE a thought for St George Illawarra’s injured halfback Drew Hutchison. It’s bad enough that he suffered a season-ending knee injury earlier this year. Now the Dragons have told the 22-year-old he is a free agent for next season. It’s understandable considering Ben Hunt is joining from Brisbane on $1.2 million a year but it goes to show the NRL is not always a glamorous and cruisy life for some of the unluckier footballers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/e4a8d42c3668b61a9028497efed46b9e
Hey Bring the Noise that was bound to happen. The game can be very cruel, it is not like it used to be. If you had a talent the club would look after you get you back playing. Now it's all dollars and cents, you had a chance see you later.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Fate can deal a sad blow, but he would struggle to get a run with Hunt and Widdop calling the shots next year. Hopefully he can kick on somewhere else.

getsmarty

Immortal
CRUEL NEWS FOR DREW

They have Field/Willis probably ahead of him. As Benny V stated would have been better opportunities as a ball playing lock ala Sutton.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It will probably mean we will re-sign McCrone or even Nona for another year.
Field will play in the top #17 even with Hunt either as the #17 or f/b.
Someone has to play in NSW Cup and young Willis is probably got as much chance un having a go as the other 2 particularly with the U20's being downgraded to local comp. Throw i young Sailor as well. However I feel they need at least another year in juniors.
NSW Cup wont be the part-timers comp from next year so expect full time players playing there to be pushing for 1st grade positions or at the very least be ready to step up when required. Hence wby McCrone is the more likely to get the 1yr extension IMO.

Bench
That is sad that he is being let go. He isn't the first to have this happen and he won't be the last

The calm one

Juniors
Sad news but seriously never looked like a halfback more like a growing lock, very slow, cumbersome never a threat to the opposition. Wishing him luck though!

That is sad that he is being let go. He isn't the first to have this happen and he won't be the last
In the corporate world only the best survive and the rest are pushed aside. Any club that have the cattle the dragons have at the moment would have done the same thing. Cruel blow I know but that's what happens in professional life

Last edited: