What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hope this is fake news

brokendigit

Juniors
A coach can only serve a club well if said coach has the inherent ability to deliver a premiership. Dopey has no such ability.

But he's good at painting and riding jet skis.

Straight Shooter
Please give us your 'objective view' of the first 5 years of the career of any coach you'd deem suitable to take over next year... Feel free to start with Madge, Bellamy, Bennett, or any other successful coach of your choosing.

deansykes

Juniors
What about a choice between Mary and Mage from South Sydney. Who do you choose?
Mary for sure... Madge will unravel any sense of camaraderie that has already been built. And what has he done thats been so special in the past 2 years? 2015 7th, 2016 12th... thats the timeframe we're basing Mary's performance on isnt it? at this point in time in 2017, we're 5th, Souths 13th... Mary's on the way up, Madge has lost the dressing room.

Crush

Coach
f**ck we're a pathetic rabble.

a shadow of our past.
Strong words gregstar.
Funny how most people around the game like the players, ex-players, commentators are mostly saying Mary deserves to be re-signed yet some fans call the potential re-signing a pathetic rabble.
I guess you aren't a fan?

Please give us your 'objective view' of the first 5 years of the career of any coach you'd deem suitable to take over next year... Feel free to start with Madge, Bellamy, Bennett, or any other successful coach of your choosing.

I'd rather the club skip the first 5 years of any coach and go straight out experience.

Why should we suffer L-plate coach after L-plate coach with no real prospect for success.

Even so, for the sake of your argument, Mary is not premiership material, whether it be 5, 10 or 15 years into his tenure.

The club would do so much better if it had the mere fundamentals in place, a professional board and an experienced coach. Most people make these fundamentals sound like an illusive dream but it is only the case for the Dragons because of the very nature of the organisation. I don't understand, I really don't, why my desire (and a few others) to have a professional top to bottom 21st century sporting organisation is ridiculed on this forum. I'd much rather have the fundamentals in place and fail then endure this reactive, self-interested rubbish which forms the very core of the club and hope for the best year after year.

Straight Shooter

brokendigit

Juniors
Strong words gregstar.
Funny how most people around the game like the players, ex-players, commentators are mostly saying Mary deserves to be re-signed yet some fans call the potential re-signing a pathetic rabble.
I guess you aren't a fan?
Perhaps gregstar is referring to us mug punters on the forum as rabble... Very rarely has a Dragons coach seen such support on these hallowed pages, and it's just not the same without everyone demanding that Mary, Doust, or both, commit hari-kari each week. It's just a theory though...

Crush

Coach
A coach can only serve a club well if said coach has the inherent ability to deliver a premiership. Dopey has no such ability.

But he's good at painting and riding jet skis.

Straight Shooter
What will you do if Mary wins a premiership? Hypothetical?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I'd rather the club skip the first 5 years of any coach and go straight out experience.

Why should we suffer L-plate coach after L-plate coach with no real prospect for success.

Even so, for the sake of your argument, Mary is not premiership material, whether it be 5, 10 or 15 years into his tenure.

The club would do so much better if it had the mere fundamentals in place, a professional board and an experienced coach. Most people make these fundamentals sound like an illusive dream but it is only the case for the Dragons because of the very nature of the organisation. I don't understand, I really don't, why my desire (and a few others) to have a professional top to bottom 21st century sporting organisation is ridiculed on this forum. I'd much rather have the fundamentals in place and fail then endure this reactive, self-interested rubbish which forms the very core of the club and hope for the best year after year.

Straight Shooter

If only I had a dollar for every time I've reiterated these points ad infinitum since McGregor's knee-jerk appointment halfway through 2014.

Oh well.

brokendigit

Juniors

Straight Shooter
I think we can agree that any success McGregor enjoys is in spite of an amateurish, pig-headed, and backwards thinking front office.
That, in itself, should be recognised, if not applauded.
Secondly, it's my opinion that (even great) coaches are built, not born.
Thirdly, despite all of your worldly experience, combined with your unblemished crystal-ball gazing record, neither you, nor I, would have a clue as to McGregor's abilities now - let alone 5, 10, or 15 years time.
Lastly, I see no point in chasing the 3rd, 5th, or 8th best coach on the market to replace McGregor. If we can afford the best, then sure, throw the bank at them. But what you're advocating is to replace a mid table coach with another mid table (and more expensive) coach.
I'm curious; if Bennett or Bellamy aren't willing to come - what is your anticipated outcome by flicking McGregor?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I see the attempt, but Marshall is not classed with the others, who all received higher salaries at their new clubs and were all wanted to be kept (despite the various rumours/innuendo around their individual circumstances).

Marshall had his offer pulled off the table, was not wanted by the club and is now a 4th string half playing reserve grade.

Not classed as the others?

Irrespective of current stipends (which NONE of us on this forums are privy to), the following paradigm is self explanatory.

That is, Morris....international, Merrin....international, Dugan.....international, Marshall.....international, Packer....international.

I see your 'attempt' at a reply with a rebuttal of my own.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
The golden years you refer was helped by the fact that the district was full of young familys so the junior element was the strongest ever , had more money to spend than any other club , only 10 teams all from Sydney & there was no salary cap , so a bit of perspective here please.
We still won 11 in a row against 9 other clubs with equal opportunity on the terms you just outlined for that period.

Tells me we had great club management pal.

In today's world we are not even in the top 10 of club management - our leaders have no idea how to manage a fiscal Budget, no clue how to leverage TPA's, no idea how to retain 2 internationals who wanted to stay, rushing to resign a coach after a few wins and inept to identify and risk blooding talent like Jack Bird. Only Parra, Newcastle and maybe Titans are below us in front office despair.

They are excellent at jobs for the boys, ruining a once prosperous leagues club, pushing out new management that show talent and challenge the status quo (why do outside talent all leave after 1 year?) and sticking there heads in the sand.

Wake up - our club management is absolutely woeful.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
What will you do if Mary wins a premiership? Hypothetical?
What will you do if we don't finish top 6 and don't win a game in the semis?
After all, with the position we currently hold, getting players back and all the things that people are praising Mary about, top 6 should be a given and top 4 actually expected and we should go very deep into September if not October.
No doubt if we don't achieve that outcome but finish anywhere above where we finished last year some people will say that we have improved and considering we were expected to finish bottom 2 or with the spoon we have over achieved.
So many posters reference our outcomes against what the press decree should eventuate rather than the expectations that fans have as an acceptable outcome i.e. regularly playing finals footy and having a real shot at the premiership.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
What will you do if we don't finish top 6 and don't win a game in the semis?
After all, with the position we currently hold, getting players back and all the things that people are praising Mary about, top 6 should be a given and top 4 actually expected and we should go very deep into September if not October.
No doubt if we don't achieve that outcome but finish anywhere above where we finished last year some people will say that we have improved and considering we were expected to finish bottom 2 or with the spoon we have over achieved.
So many posters reference our outcomes against what the press decree should eventuate rather than the expectations that fans have as an acceptable outcome i.e. regularly playing finals footy and having a real shot at the premiership.
Good post - a lot of people are satisfied (or protect themselves from hurt) by accepting status quo and running middle pack.

I want the old saints back - a club teams feared and a team that out muscles. I see that so far this year and I am excited but....

2 swallows don't make a summer

possm

Coach
First place is all that counts. Number of premierships won is what is asked, not how many times a club made the finals.

Sure you can't win every year but we must be seen to be trying to win each year. For 2018 we had a great potential to be a winner in 2018 until we let Packer and Dugan go. Now Lafai, Mann and Milne are also at risk of the Millward magic.

After Hutch was injured we needed to buy a half for this season. I mean we let go Benji and bought no one to replace hm. We put our faith in a rookie who had done nothing in first grade to justify such faith. Yes we could not have anticipated the injury to Hutch however, to then rely on McCrone for the full season is a statement indicating that 2018 rather than 2017 is the year we compete for a GF.