What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In an 18 team comp...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I agree about the Sunday 7 or 7:30pm kick off. That should dead set be the game of the week. Number 1 choice of the networks.

beave

Coach
yeah I reckon channel 7 would love that one if they went hard for the rights. 6pm news, 6:30 that Sunday night show, then 7:30 straight over to the footy with 5-10 mins of pre match to take head on 60 minutes in the ratings..........

rednblack

Juniors
yeah I reckon channel 7 would love that one if they went hard for the rights. 6pm news, 6:30 that Sunday night show, then 7:30 straight over to the footy with 5-10 mins of pre match to take head on 60 minutes in the ratings..........

Yeah, it'd be good for telly, so they'd probably love it.

What would it be like for crowds though? I mean, most young families I know are spending sunday evening getting ready for the school week and all that. I can't see too many young fans going to a game and not getting home until after 10pm. Does anyone know how MNF goes with this? Tbh, I haven't really taken much notice of monday night crowds in particular (I work monday nights, so I don't watch any of the games). Is there an approximate breakdown of the ages of fans at MNF anywhere? I would think that having two out of eight games (nine after expansion) starting so late on a school night may be prohibitive?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Yeah, it'd be good for telly, so they'd probably love it.

What would it be like for crowds though? I mean, most young families I know are spending sunday evening getting ready for the school week and all that. I can't see too many young fans going to a game and not getting home until after 10pm. Does anyone know how MNF goes with this? Tbh, I haven't really taken much notice of monday night crowds in particular (I work monday nights, so I don't watch any of the games). Is there an approximate breakdown of the ages of fans at MNF anywhere? I would think that having two out of eight games (nine after expansion) starting so late on a school night may be prohibitive?

I agree, it is a risk, but I think because its worked for Monday night, it should work for Sunday night too. My idea was to have the Sunday night game as the number 1 game of the week, so hopefully its drawing power should be able to be enough to pull a respectable crowd.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The key to a Sunday night game (and all other games) is a set draw. If parents, as well as other fans, know that the game will be played at that time on a Sunday then they can prepare in advance for it and maybe even let little Johnny and Jilly have the next day off. :shock:

A set draw for the first 20 rounds is a must. After the teams have sorted themselves out the last 6 rounds can be set at about the round 18 mark.

beave

Coach
well if it's a toss up between a saturday 3:30 game and a Sunday night 7-7:30pm game, you have to go the Sunday IMO. Saturday 3:30 was rubbish back in the day, kids have sport on Saturday arvos and alot of people work Saturdays as well, well they do down there in Sydney but not so much up here in NQ (a lot of non shopping centre businesses close at 12pm saturdays). People didn't want it back in the early 2k's, I don't think much will change if it ever gets implemented again, after half a season I reckon there will be more bleating than a paddock full of sheep.

Imagine a round where there is games as Brisbane, Townsville, Gold Coast, Sydney, Auckland, Melbourne, Perth, Newcastle and Central Coast. :)

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
I'm banking on Manly playing a team that would be half competitive in Week 1 of the Finals. No, not the Raiders.

LOL

really .... No Des , No Hoppa .... No Brett or Glen Stewart , no Michael Robinson , no Wolfman as he'll probably never play again
3 or 4 others looking elsewhere as this 3 ringed circus of a club implodes
& you're banking on finals :lol::lol:

well.........I'm Banking on a final in Sydney in week 1 , maybe even 2 finals in Sydney next year... pulling a decent crowd
so no , not involving Manly;-)

Loudstrat

Coach
Raiders supporters :lol:. You reckon the Stewart Brothers will not be in a Manly jumper in 3 months? And who are these "3 or 4 others looking elsewhere"?

You are banking on not being in the top 4, and playing a club who has lots of fans? You do realise Canberra are the complete opposite of Manly - that is Manly are a club who makes grand finals and wins them and sacks successful coaches. Canberra a club that wouldnt know a GF from a spoon and who guarantee a coaching job for life if you win one game every thirty!

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiders supporters :lol:. You reckon the Stewart Brothers will not be in a Manly jumper in 3 months? And who are these "3 or 4 others looking elsewhere"?

You are banking on not being in the top 4, and playing a club who has lots of fans? You do realise Canberra are the complete opposite of Manly - that is Manly are a club who makes grand finals and wins them and sacks successful coaches. Canberra a club that wouldnt know a GF from a spoon and who guarantee a coaching job for life if you win one game every thirty!

Canberra ... a team thats actually in the comp ;-)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Raiders supporters :lol:. You do realise Canberra are the complete opposite of Manly - that is Manly are a club who makes grand finals and wins them and sacks successful coaches. Canberra a club that wouldnt know a GF from a spoon and who guarantee a coaching job for life if you win one game every thirty!

Haven't won a spoon since 1982 loudy and have won 3 out of 4 grand finals since 1989.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
There has to be minimum 3 games every sunday. Whether its 3X Sunday afternoon or 2X afternoon + 1 Sunday night is another matter though.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Umm, so are Manly doofus.

I just find it Ironic a Clown Bears supporter wants to bag off at a team thats

IN ... the comp :sarcasm:

the Bears .. I mean who the F..K are they ?:?

nothing but a piece of League memorabillia Like Newtown & University
sent packing ingloriously into the pages of History as a joke club during the time they did compete , had a hilarious key stone cops end , & are still laughed at today with their delusional supporters believing they'll earn the right to compete with " real " clubs Like the Raiders & Manly again soon
:lol::lol:

you just keep telling your fairy tales amongst yourselves & leave the talk of current events in our games to the fans of teams that " currently" compete
that is all ;-)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I just find it Ironic a Clown Bears supporter wants to bag off at a team thats

IN ... the comp :sarcasm:

the Bears .. I mean who the F..K are they ?:?

nothing but a piece of League memorabillia Like Newtown & University
sent packing ingloriously into the pages of History as a joke club during the time they did compete , had a hilarious key stone cops end , & are still laughed at today with their delusional supporters believing they'll earn the right to compete with " real " clubs Like the Raiders & Manly again soon
:lol::lol:

you just keep telling your fairy tales amongst yourselves & leave the talk of current events in our games to the fans of teams that " currently" compete
that is all ;-)

Loudy is a parramatta fan.