What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction to Anime

Pugzley

Battle of the Planets
Voltron
Voltes V

All mecha anime. All cult classics.

Last edited:

Pugzley

Yes.

Biker chicks rock.

Burn Up W
Burn Up Excess
Burn Up Scramble

All female SWAT team action.

Martian Successor Nadesico

Harem anime.

elyod138

Bench
Any Miyazaki/Ghibli fans who haven't seen Future Boy Conan, check it out.

It's a series Miyazaki made before Studio Ghibli, you can only find it online.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Plenty to get me started here. I'm going to offend some of you now and say that I don't have a lot of time for the mecha stuff. Didn't like Pacific Rim much, and while I liked parts of Evangelion, I'm pretty sure it was just 14 year old Chris liking upskirt shots :lol:

Springs

First Grade
Well to be precise the Evas are giant humanoids rather than robots. It's more of a deconstuction of the mecha genre.

Pugzley

Plenty to get me started here. I'm going to offend some of you now and say that I don't have a lot of time for the mecha stuff. Didn't like Pacific Rim much, and while I liked parts of Evangelion, I'm pretty sure it was just 14 year old Chris liking upskirt shots :lol:

Give Aquarion Evol a go.

Mecha powered by Men and women working together. i think that is what inspired Pacific Rim :sarcasm:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10447/Aquarion_Evol

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm trying to get into anime and wanted to know what the anime fans would suggest watching first?

I've seen Akira in the past (it wasn't bad, but I didn't love it) and used to watch Evangelion on and off. I was a fan of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle too.

I'm looking for movies rather than TV shows, although I'll listen to recommendations for both. Hook me up!
I don't really know of any manga movies, however there was a short anime scene in Kill Bill Vol. 1 and it was fantastic. Absolutely brilliantly done, right down to every bit of detail. Even if you don't see the entire movie, that is one scene I highly recommend ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd2gG7arxfg ).

There was this show I caught back in high school called "Gunsmith Cats" - it was a 3-episode mini-series that went for 30 mins each, so 90 mins altogether, you can sort of say it was a movie (mini-series obviously meaning it was all the same story, just broken up footage over several episodes).

Here is episode 1, so you can catch the others on Youtube - no need to download or anything like that...

Enjoy :)

[youtube]W50Ifm-VQqg[/youtube]

Gunsmith_Cats_cover.jpg

mongoose

Coach
Glad some people remember teknoman, was on cheese TV in the mornings in the mid 90s. Never missed an episode.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Rewatching Spirited Away and absolutely adore the setting of it. Are there any other films with similarly fantastical or mythic settings that I should check out?

Beyond the obvious Studio Gibli films, obv.

Pugzley

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend. It's about a titanic clash between demon's and the end of the world. :sarcasm:

afinalsin666

First Grade
Attack on Titan is sweet as hell. 25 eps at an 8 hour run time (assuming you'll binge it).

Elfen Lied is my favourite anime other than Dragonball, absolutely tragic story with some cool themes running throughout. I cried like a bitch watching it, twice. Couple gory scenes, including one of the most intense openings of any show ever. It is really good. 13 eps for a 4 hour run time.

Cowboy Bebop is also really good, has 26 episodes.

Latest posts