What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

murraymob

Coach
Slap in the face for Georgalis he has had 1 game to show what he can do.That 1 game had us showing more ball movement in 1 game than we had all year.As for Cleary i hope he has a bit more than what we are seeing him show at the Warriors

Caged Panther

First Grade
Won't complain if this turns out to be the case though it makes the last week a bit of a tease to Georgalis, which I don't necessarily think is right.

Georgallis would have been told the real situation IMO.

Gould is very professional , he wouldnt stuff him around.

What we read in the media on the subject really doesnt have much to do with it.

If Georgallis can get us to the finals he'll have teams knocking on his door.

chrisD

Coach
Where will the credit and blame fall? With the new coach or Gould? Personally I see us as Gould's team now, for better or worse I'll lay everything at his door.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I've been wanting to see the back of Cleary for a good couple of years now, however, I think he's be a good signing for Penrith - initially.

When he came to the Warriors we were a bit of a mess, the club culture was stuffed, we'd just gone through a salary cap rort, and things weren't looking good. He did a fantastic job of bringing stability and rebuilding the club from the ground up. I imagine this is what Gould wants him for as much as anything. He's a very calm person, and will bring consistency and stability to the Panthers team and organisation.

Having said that, I do believe his ability as a couch is limited. He'll do a great job for 2-3 years of rebuilding the club and making you guys consistently competitive, but I think there's a limit to how far he can take a team.

A very good coach, perfect man for a crisis, not convinced he's a premiership winner.

Fibroman

First Grade
The difference between Clearly at the Warriors and Cleary at Penrith is the fact that Gould will be coaching him to be a better coach.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
2vcuwm1.png

Announcement: Ivan Cleary appointed Head Coach
Penrith Panthers - Wednesday, June 29

On behalf of the Board of Directors of Panthers Group, Rugby League General Manager Phil Gould takes great pleasure in announcing the appointment of Ivan Cleary as Head Coach of the Penrith Panthers for the next three seasons.

This is a wonderful result for the club and marks the beginning of a new era for the Penrith Panthers.

Ivan has enjoyed an outstanding career in rugby league, proving himself to be a player and coach of the highest standards. Ivan’s character, professionalism and experience made him to the perfect candidate for this important position at the Panthers.

Ivan Cleary is the man best qualified to take our club into the future.

At this time we would like to thank the NZ Warrior’s management for their professionalism and understanding in dealing with this matter. We wish the Warriors and Ivan all the best for the remainder of the 2011 season.

Ivan Cleary - Career Highlights

• Won 2004 NSW Premier League Premiership with the Sydney Roosters
  • Warriors longest serving coach (141 games)
  • Will finish with the Warriors with a minimum of 150 games
  • Outstanding playing career with Norths, Manly, Roosters and the Warriors
  • Played 186 first grade matches over 11 seasons
  • In 1998 broke Mick Cronin's record for most points in an NRL season with 284

• 2006 - First year in charge of Warriors - won sufficient games to qualify for finals but were deducted four points at seasons start due to breaches in their 2005 salary cap, thus missing finals
  • 2007 - Qualified for finals, making it through to Week Two
  • 2008 - Again qualified for finals, becoming only team under McIntyre system to win a finals match after finishing eighth, before winning a second finals match and making it through to a Preliminary Final against Manly
  • 2009 - A poor season for the Warriors following the off season death of popular player Sonny Fai and an horrific injury list
  • 2010 - Return to the finals after finishing sixth in the regular season
  • 2011 - Likely to again qualify for the finals
http://www.panthersforum.com.au/index.php?topic=7842.msg126981;boardseen#new

benntash

Juniors
Great appointment.

I look forward to what he brings us.

Agreed... Gus always said he wanted junior development as the main priority for the panthers. Cleary has shown what he can do with the juniors at the warriors.
Exciting times ahead. I'm lookin forward to it :D

soc123_au

Staff member
I think it's a good result, I would have liked to see what Georgalis had to offer for a few more weeks though. Hopefully he new all along this was the most likely scenario.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
What it will probably mean is that Purtell will be a lock in for the starting line up considering Cleary wanted him at the Warriors before he signed for you guys ;-)