What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

JDHD

Juniors
So I wonder is the the consensus of opinion that no matter the cost Graham is a great acquisition or is he only a good acquisition at xyz$ and if that is the case what is that number?
There must be a tipping point in the equation and I would love to know what the real deal is?

Well, as I posted above, we're apparently paying 600 of the million the first year and then 400 a year for the next two years.

I'm okay with the last two (not over the moon but with an increased cap...eh...) but if we're paying more than half of his wage next year, then the dogs played us like a harp.

Old Timer

Coach
Well, as I posted above, we're apparently paying 600 of the million the first year and then 400 a year for the next two years.

I'm okay with the last two (not over the moon but with an increased cap...eh...) but if we're paying more than half of his wage next year, then the dogs played us like a harp.
Well he needs to bring an awful lot to the club so here's hoping and if those numbers are correct the Dogs are laughing.
I know at times I am particularly hard in my assessments so hopefully I am proven wrong.
No doubt Vaughan was a cracker in 2017 and looking forward to further progress there and I am at this time still extremely hopeful for young Mc Innes but I truly would have loved a gun centre before a prop.
Our young wingers who should be coming into the top grade this year will all suffer if the don't have quality centres inside them and Aitken / Lafai are anything but a high quality pairing so a real dilemma in that area me thinks.

JDHD

Juniors
Well he needs to bring an awful lot to the club so here's hoping and if those numbers are correct the Dogs are laughing.
I know at times I am particularly hard in my assessments so hopefully I am proven wrong.
No doubt Vaughan was a cracker in 2017 and looking forward to further progress there and I am at this time still extremely hopeful for young Mc Innes but I truly would have loved a gun centre before a prop.
Our young wingers who should be coming into the top grade this year will all suffer if the don't have quality centres inside them and Aitken / Lafai are anything but a high quality pairing so a real dilemma in that area me thinks.

I can understand the club's long term view of Lomax as a long term centre, but that doesn't help us now.

As much I love how damaging Aitken is when running the ball, he's a defensive liability and a Gandalf in attack. He's also turning into a tampon with his shoulders. Lafai's been a massive disappointment.

Mann is wasted at centre but I could see him as a long term centre partner for Lomax.

Belta

Juniors
Yeah, nice combo, JDHD.

. Hunt, Widdop, Mann and Lomax, Dufty chiming in

I can see it now, news flash, coach Mary McGregor throws caution to the wind by starting round 1 with a new look centre, combination

JDHD

Juniors
Yeah, nice combo, JDHD.

I can see it now, news flash, coach Mary McGregor throws caution to the wind by starting round 1 with a new look centre, combination

I just want a centre pairing that either a) will pass (unlike aitken) or b) can pass to his outside man and not spray it wildly over the sideline (unlike Lafai)

Reddragon

Bench
I just want a centre pairing that either a) will pass (unlike aitken) or b) can pass to his outside man and not spray it wildly over the sideline (unlike Lafai)
Agree. Most posters here suggest Lafai and Aitkin for next year.
I read those lists and weep.
I only think this will place us last of all clubs for centre pairings in the NRL next year.
Very low expectations from our fans.

Crush

Coach
Yeah, nice combo, JDHD.

"McGregor throws caution to the wind"
No chance!

JDHD

Juniors
Agree. Most posters here suggest Lafai and Aitkin for next year.
I read those lists and weep.
I only think this will place us last of all clubs for centre pairings in the NRL next year.
Very low expectations from our fans.

I think Aitken has massive potential, he's incredibly damaging when he runs the ball. I just think he'll probably have to go to another club ie Melbourne to unlock that potential

Bench
Aitken and Lafaii both have shown signs of being a good combination but they both have been disappointing in most of the games I have seen.
Lafaii has been brilliant in some games but has also been terrible in others.
It’s time McIdiot make the tuff decisions and drop players not performing. Nene needs to be in that mix.

since77

Juniors
Passing the ball is not an unusual, high-level skill.

I didn't hold out high hopes for Aitken leading into the beginning of last season. I thought he had limited potential. However if you look at the first half of the season when we were doing well, Aitken was playing well - he still had defensive issues (that a decent coach can fix) but his attack was strong. He was making breaks and scoring some decent tries. He actually looked a touch faster and stronger than 2016. Unfortunately he struggled with injury the second half of the season and then returned to a team that was struggling before getting injured again.

I think Aitken has some very similar traits to Matt Cooper, and lets remember back - you wouldn't ever have wanted to hold your breath waiting for Coops to pass the ball either.

I think based on his form in the first half of 2017, Aitken is worth persevering with, if he can start next season the way he started 2017.
The other centre, Tim "10 braindead offloads per game" Lafai is the centre we should be more worried about.

Reddragon

Bench
I didn't hold out high hopes for Aitken leading into the beginning of last season. I thought he had limited potential. However if you look at the first half of the season when we were doing well, Aitken was playing well - he still had defensive issues (that a decent coach can fix) but his attack was strong. He was making breaks and scoring some decent tries.

From what i remember, most of those tries did not involve him passing the ball, unfortunately.

BennyV

Referee
If you're referring to my comment, I noted he had similar traits to Cooper, not that he was the "next" Matt Cooper. Long way to go before that.....
Not just yours - I've seen heaps of people relate Aitken to Cooper. Before that it was Runciman and prior to that was Green. Any centre who could tackle in u20s and has poor ball skills gets compared to Coops. Personally I'd prefer the next Gasnier...