What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justice for the old Magpies!

big hit!

Bench
With Bamain effectively finished, it could be a good time to rethink the clubs brand...

It would be poor taste to go back to the Magpies (like Sea Eagles cutting out Bears fans entirely), but most would agree the branding has been heavily tilted to the Balmain side of the venture since the begining.

Rather than dumping the Tiger and going with the Magpies, what about ditching a formal mascot altogether and going with something like this

magpies_1930.jpg

Call the club West Sydney RLFC (and let the fans effectively choose their own mascot).

your post is in jest, but just a note - 'West' Sydney is basically Pyrmont which is west of Sydney. Just as North Sydney (a suburb in it's own right) is north of Sydney, South Sydney (Surry Hills, Redfern, Waterloo, etc) is south of Sydney, & East Sydney (it's own locality between Darlinghurst & Woolloomooloo) is east of Sydney.

If you want to encompass regions of the metropolitan, then the correct directional terms are Western (from Auburn and beyond), Northern (Kuring gai & Northern Beaches), Southern (St George, Sutherland areas), & Eastern (eastern suburbs).

Western Sydney Wanderers got it right.........but that ship has sailed now they've made it their own. Greater Western Sydney Giants realised this hence the addition of Greater to differentiate.

thorson1987

Coach
your post is in jest, but just a note - 'West' Sydney is basically Pyrmont which is west of Sydney. Just as North Sydney (a suburb in it's own right) is north of Sydney, South Sydney (Surry Hills, Redfern, Waterloo, etc) is south of Sydney, & East Sydney (it's own locality between Darlinghurst & Woolloomooloo) is east of Sydney.

If you want to encompass regions of the metropolitan, then the correct directional terms are Western (from Auburn and beyond), Northern (Kuring gai & Northern Beaches), Southern (St George, Sutherland areas), & Eastern (eastern suburbs).

Western Sydney Wanderers got it right.........but that ship has sailed now they've made it their own. Greater Western Sydney Giants realised this hence the addition of Greater to differentiate.

Um, GWS were founded 3 years before WSW.

big hit!

Bench
Um, GWS were founded 3 years before WSW.

that's right. so they f**ked up by choosing a government-referenced tongue twister and modifying it to an abbreviation that no one in this metropolitan uses. typical of a club that was conceived in another state

TheFrog

Coach
Greater Western Sydney Giants realised this hence the addition of Greater to differentiate.
GWS was always aimed at Swans fans, to give them a game to attend on weeks the Swans were out of town, or at least AFL fans who live in Sydney, most of whom are located in the eastern half of the metropolitan area. There has never been the following for the game in its nominal area to support a club in the AFL. Perhaps the AFL were hoping this would eventuate but the club has been successful on field for some time and it hasn't yet. In my view the biggest mistake was not basing GWS at Blacktown. This would have given Western Sydney ownership of the team and would have been a demonstration of commitment to the area by the sport. Even the Wanderers hedged their bets by basing their club at Parramatta.

'West' Sydney is basically Pyrmont which is west of Sydney.

This is the sort of confusion that can ensue when a CBD is surrounded by ocean on 180 degrees of its perimeter.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
GWS was always aimed at Swans fans, to give them a game to attend on weeks the Swans were out of town, or at least AFL fans who live in Sydney, most of whom are located in the eastern half of the metropolitan area. There has never been the following for the game in its nominal area to support a club in the AFL. Perhaps the AFL were hoping this would eventuate but the club has been successful on field for some time and it hasn't yet. In my view the biggest mistake was not basing GWS at Blacktown. This would have given Western Sydney ownership of the team and would have been a demonstration of commitment to the area by the sport. Even the Wanderers hedged their bets by basing their club at Parramatta.

Along with GC, Giants immediately gave the AFL an extra game per week for broadcasters. Growth has always been an objective for the AFL with GWS, but obviously a really slow burn. It took the Swans 20 years to create their niche. The AFL are doing it from the ground up with the Giants - junior development etc.

Yes, they should be in the guts of Western Sydney as a base and for home games, but the issue with that is transport to Blacktown / Rooty Hill, and also, attracting / retaining interstate players there. Basing at Olympic Park offers decent public transport for any supporters they have from a wider area. It's also closer to more desirable areas of the metropolitan for current / potential players, most of which don't come from the Sydney metropolitan area.

The Wanderers admin & training base is Blacktown Sports Park complex, and Parramatta is very much the CBD of Western Sydney. That home base has worked well for them as there are a heap of entertainment options there on game day, much like Sydney FC has Surry Hills, Paddo & the city. Olympic Park is a dump at it'll need more than a new stadium to keep folks going out there week after week, year after year.

Last edited:

ed-grimley

Bench
I can remember the magpie and bear mascots engaging in a bit of biffo - there were even suspensions involved I think.
Ah, those were the days.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yes, it is great to see the Maggies back at State Cup level.

The strange part about this is, although the flegg (U/20s) has gone back to a state level the flegg teams will carry the name of their NRL sides, so Wests Tigers U20s will play alongside the Western Suburbs Magpies the majority of the time. This, I believe so, will be so for many other NRL - State Cup sides, such as Souths flegg side will play before the Noth Sydney Bears State Cup games etc.

I just can not see this working for the supporters but than again this really shows the lack of ability & management at the NRL & NSWRL - they just don't get it.

toomuchsoup

Juniors

The strange part about this is, although the flegg (U/20s) has gone back to a state level the flegg teams will carry the name of their NRL sides, so Wests Tigers U20s will play alongside the Western Suburbs Magpies the majority of the time. This, I believe so, will be so for many other NRL - State Cup sides, such as Souths flegg side will play before the Noth Sydney Bears State Cup games etc.

I just can not see this working for the supporters but than again this really shows the lack of ability & management at the NRL & NSWRL - they just don't get it.
That’s a whole new level of stupid

thorson1987

Coach

Not quite.

Bears (Souths) and Mounties (Raiders) will be playing NSW Cup and Flegg

magpie4ever

First Grade
Not quite.

Bears (Souths) and Mounties (Raiders) will be playing NSW Cup and Flegg

I was told by someone in the NSWRL that the flegg sides would be required to be named & wear the NRL sides kit.

I think the wests tigers & western suburbs magpies are a definite - unsure of the rest.

I suppose we wait and see.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think you missed my point...

The location can be whatever they like; Wests, West Sydney, Western Suburbs. (but a few years with that name and they will be more recognised than the VFL or Soccer teams. They might have arrived earlier, but RL is just more famous in West Sydney. Tigers dont need to worry about the other little sports)

My point is, now that Balmain is basically out of the JV, they might not want to keep the Tiger as their logo. However, this does not mean the MUST go back to the Magpie. There is a middle ground that will shift the brand without banishing Balmain fans entirely.

Latest posts