What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Train-on squad

ozbash

Referee
P.S Say No to ESL!! Stuff us around too much. Stick with the talent we're developing here.

Yea, I dont know about that. Make the bastards play by the rules and release players for international duty.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
KiWi_BoI_15 said:
I read in the papers somewhere that Kemble had made his way to Aussie some time last week to inform players of their future in the Kiwis. Chase Stanley was one of them.

Players from clubs who didnt make the eight will start preparing for the tour next week in Sydney the article said. Kemble is doing a great job already in getting to players such as Stanley and letting them know that they do have a future with the Kiwis.
Among them were Luke, Inu, Chase.

P.S Say No to ESL!! Stuff us around too much. Stick with the talent we're developing here.

I truly believe in the talent we have in the NRL but we still need the fill the gaps.

First SBW could miss the first test - hopefully not.

But there have been a few injuries Manu, Ropati, Soliola, Matai (playing injured) - who from the NRL are going to fill in for first test.
Whatuira being playing ordinary and going to ESL next year.
Mannering far from a superstar.
Stanley a school boy.
Tuiaki would look good in a kiwi jersey but wont be considered til after the world cup.

Gonna be some hard decision to make over the next couple of weeks. Though at least for once their is a spread of talent so now kiwi coach can select players who he likes and whos in form as opposed to select every kiwi in the nrl.

While you want to blood these youngsters dont want to throw into international when their not ready and let them get ripped to pieces. Play them against france and maybe one of the GB tests.

Though I think all players mentioned deserve to go on tour not sure their kiwi career should start with the first game is all.

Luke/Rangi will probably be in contention for the bench hooker role.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
Benji wont be playing - hes playing injured he's gonna need some sort of op or rehab over the off-season. It not hard to tell. Maybe throw him in all golds match. Not worth risking injuring it even more.

It's useless speculating on whether or not the Tigers will decide to pull him out again. However.......

did you see the game on Friday night? Benji was at his absolute best. Best player on the field. So if he is injured, but available, I don't care- he's still capable of outstanding performances anyway.

Skinner

Coach
ozbash said:

Yea, I dont know about that. Make the bastards play by the rules and release players for international duty.

It's never going to happen.....they're never going to change and the NZRL are too
weak kneed to do anything about it.

Forgettem.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
It's useless speculating on whether or not the Tigers will decide to pull him out again. However.......

did you see the game on Friday night? Benji was at his absolute best. Best player on the field. So if he is injured, but available, I don't care- he's still capable of outstanding performances anyway.

im not speculating - im telling u.

Not sure if he need off-season surgery or just needs it to heal from the last one he had.
I would especially love to him in the UK he would rip the pommies to pieces.

Best player on the field?? we they were both ordinary teams in crap form.
He has still come up with some magic since he's been back but far from best player on the field.

Im picking 'TNT' aka Tuiaki and Moimoi wont be named in the squad either.
Kiwis wanted them but their hands were tied and appartently they cant play till world cup or after world cup. (not sure last date they played for Tonga)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
im not speculating - im telling u.

Not sure if he need off-season surgery or just needs it to heal from the last one he had.
I would especially love to him in the UK he would rip the pommies to pieces.

Best player on the field?? we they were both ordinary teams in crap form.
He has still come up with some magic since he's been back but far from best player on the field.

Im picking 'TNT' aka Tuiaki and Moimoi wont be named in the squad either.
Kiwis wanted them but their hands were tied and appartently they cant play till world cup or after world cup. (not sure last date they played for Tonga)

Did you or did you not watch the game

He was outstanding

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Did you or did you not watch the game

He was outstanding

mate I've watched every single game he's played this year.
Im not gonna bag benji - but he's let in nearly more tries than the newcastle outside since he's back - including some crucial tries on friday night. Including one of vuna's.

Im not basing his non-selection on form but on fitness.
So it looks like benji, SBW and fa'alogo will be out.

Benji will be back and better next year. Kiwis need to make smart decision and let him re-cover.
I would rather have him come world cup time than have him in the stands with a brace on.

Possible team: with SBW,Falago and Marshall out. possibly matai out??

1. Webb / Perrett
2. Inu
3. Mannering
4. Whatuira
5. Tupou / Hape
6. Roberts
7. Leulauai
8. Asotasi
9. Faiumu
10. Cayless
11. Jeremy Smith (melb)
12. Pritchard
13. Eastwood

14. Luke
15. Rapira
16. Frank Puletua (they wont pick him though) / Adam Blair
17. Lauaki / Harrison / L.Anderson

With all those injuries kiwis plentyful stocks have become seriously dwindled down.
Think those ESL guys should be counting their lucky stars b'coz a few of them will now get a kiwi jersey some time during the tour.

Halves:
Maybe chase instead of roberts/ luke or leulauai.
Or maybe even Jeremy Smith but watching souths he's been playing second fiddle to Joey Williams anyway.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Smith is better than Roberts, ANYONE is better than Roberts.

Marshall/Smith would be ideal as they would complement each other, but apparently Benji isn't fit :sarcasm:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Smith is better than Roberts, ANYONE is better than Roberts.

Marshall/Smith would be ideal as they would complement each other, but apparently Benji isn't fit :sarcasm:

both of them may have being playing in no 7 jersey but neither have being playing a half-backs role.

Tigers havent had a halfback this whole season and with no off-season purchases looks like they are going to go next season with out a halfback.

how do marshall and smith complement each other?? one has a darker and the other a lighter complexion??

Ideally I would love to see a big ballplaying lock like Sa develop into kiwi stand-off but he's injured for now.

I agree roberts is pretty flaky but at least he provides more spark than smith. Really though all our halfback options are interchangeable.
TBH it is still possible for Lance Hohaia to be selected.

Wouldnt mind seeing rangi chase at halfback for one of the games later in tour.

Leulauai has to be favourite for halfbackspot played everyweek in the position for past three years make him most qualified and reasonably good form (just needs to get a haircut and he'd make my team.

6. Roberts / Smith / Chase
7. Leuluai or powerball chance Hohaia (thats banking on rovelli getting injured and lance leading warriors to nrl title - not likely).

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Roberts, Marshall, Hohaia are all predominantly ball runners. None of them are organisers. Roberts and Marshall in particular rely on footwork, speed, and an assortment of flick and no look passes.

Smith strikes me as a much more solid player and better organiser- well, better than Roberts anyway. But I think Roberts might be favoured because he has a long kick on him.

Haven't really seen enough of Chase so he might be a better option as well, but again he looks primarily like an opportunistic ball runner.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
I gotta agree with you TH. Smith does look like the better organiser.

But would probably lean towards Roberts as he does have a better kicking game then Smith.

Anyways, ill be happy to have Isaac Luke in the starting 13.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Roberts, Marshall, Hohaia are all predominantly ball runners. None of them are organisers. Roberts and Marshall in particular rely on footwork, speed, and an assortment of flick and no look passes.

Smith strikes me as a much more solid player and better organiser- well, better than Roberts anyway. But I think Roberts might be favoured because he has a long kick on him.

Haven't really seen enough of Chase so he might be a better option as well, but again he looks primarily like an opportunistic ball runner.

Well hohaia is a ball runner at the warriors - b'coz they play him in centres.lol

If yous been watching smith play for bunnies (after he got recalled from reserves) - Joey williams has been the most dominant halve.

Anyway Leulauai will most probably be the halfback unless rabbitohs make the final.
You dont need a standoff to be an 'organiser' - when you have a legit halfback.

TBh honest I wouldnt mind a huntly halves combo of Smith and Hohaia. I would be quite proud.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:
Well hohaia is a ball runner at the warriors - b'coz they play him in centres.lol

Because he is completely sh*t at everything else.

If yous been watching smith play for bunnies (after he got recalled from reserves) - Joey williams has been the most dominant halve.

I know, but Smith still looks better than Roberts/Hohaia/probably Chase as an organiser

Anyway Leulauai will most probably be the halfback unless rabbitohs make the final.
You dont need a standoff to be an 'organiser' - when you have a legit halfback.

You must be Leuluai's only fan.

Out of all our options we don't have a single "legit halfback/organiser", I'm going for Smith cos I reckon he's the closest we have.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Leuluai? Whos that? lol.

Seriously, the guy does not have a good kicking game. Seems all his kicks go straight into the full backs arms!

We could try different halves combo during this tour, to see who works together more effectively. Id take Smith and Roberts over Hohaia and Leuluai.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Because he is completely sh*t at everything else.

I know, but Smith still looks better than Roberts/Hohaia/probably Chase as an organiser

You must be Leuluai's only fan.

Out of all our options we don't have a single "legit halfback/organiser", I'm going for Smith cos I reckon he's the closest we have.

Sweet - just have to wait

Lance aint sh*thouse - he would be a better no. 7 than roberts/ smith and chase.
He''l probably still get named in train-on squad in case roberts/ smith get injured or play terrible.

Most likely the first test :

6. Roberts
7. Leulauai
9. Faiumu / Halatau

14. Luke / Chase

Later on tour:
Chase and Luke will might start.

In MY opinion you need a ball running #6, and a #7 who can marshal the troops around the field. Having 2 ball running halves has not worked for us in the past.

unfortunately, if you pick a Marshall, Roberts or Stanley at #6 then you need somebody in the ilk of Smith or Thomas L at #7.

But as usual, we'll need to rely on whats AVAILABLE.

I look forward to the development of Sa, Foran and co in the future.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hohaia will be unlikely to get a spot in the halves ever again, because his kicking, passing and vision are all terrible.

That's my observation and given the switches to hooker and centre I guess the coaching staff at the Warriors agree.

He certainly has a few fans though.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Im just worried bout the depth of our backline this year.

We lost Soliola through injury, he was awesome for us last year, now we've lost Manu too?
Steve Matai is playing with an injury.

Thoughts on our backline??

Well...... on the injured list :

Soliola
Vatuvai
Ropati
Perret
Sa
Matai (Probable)

Sooooo.... let's imagine that ESL players for some reason wont be available, then we'd have to look at something like :

1. Inu
2. Tuiaki (MAYBE as nobody has given a 100% indication of his availability) / Daniela / Talanoa
3. Whats
4. Mannering ? Stanley ?
5. Daniela / Talanoa ?

Pretty b-grade if you ask me ......

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
KiWi_BoI_15 said:
Im just worried bout the depth of our backline this year.

We lost Soliola through injury, he was awesome for us last year, now we've lost Manu too?
Steve Matai is playing with an injury.

Thoughts on our backline??

Sad about manu - but despite what you all think he was far from the complete player though??

There gonna have to pick some out of form players(whatuira or webster) or bring back some players from the ESL (tupou/hape).

Certs for tour:
Inu, Perrett, Whatuira, Mannering, Inu

Who they gonna go for young un and comers or ESL 'stars'?? probably a mix of both??