What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leichhardt council to allow AFL to be played at Birchgrove Oval

Perth Red

Post Whore
HAd to laugh at the Sydney Swans ad on the History channel tonight. Something about the "passion of Sydney". I did notice the marketing line the AFL are now using on all their advertising- "Australia's Game". Not hard to see how they are trying to position themselves as THE national Australian footy code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4OLW04n_c

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
HAd to laugh at the Sydney Swans ad on the History channel tonight. Something about the "passion of Sydney". I did notice the marketing line the AFL are now using on all their advertising- "Australia's Game". Not hard to see how they are trying to position themselves as THE national Australian footy code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4OLW04n_c

That's exactly the sort of thing that really irks me about the AFL. Never use to have a problem with them until this started.

Valheru

Coach
That comparison is ridiculous.

There are hundreds if not thousands of ovals in Sydney that can host amateur afl.

At the time the swans came to town there was only one or two grounds capable of hosting pro vfl.

That may be the case.

The point is though that few would argue the importance of the SCG to rugby league history and traditions. Nowadays it is more associated with the AFL than rugby league and the sky has not fallen in. Obviously rugby league moving to a purpose built stadium of its own volition helped the transition.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Do you understand what council is doing ? It is turfing out the district's biggest club of any f**king code that has over 2,000 registered players so some spastics who probably can't get a team together without ringins every weekend and/or scout stonewall and arq at 5am on game day for an extra player or 10, can play that geniused hybrid of village idiotball with the Harbour Bridge in the background.

Imagine the boners the Victorians will have when there is a sherrin with a real harbour and blue sky as a background rather than some cobble streeted shithole, with trains running down the main street with skies slightly lighter than dark black.

That fat turd demitriou will then be working himself into a lather at the prospect like some heavyweight fighter trying to drop a stone an hour before a weigh in.

The Balmain Dockers and Drummoyne Power are a bunch of exiled and/or geniused victorian spastics who think any day over 6 degrees in an excuse to get out the Hawaiin Tropic coconut oil and and a singlet and tan up before they blind side some bloke and think themselves tough

I have told my children in no uncertain terms that if they ever ask to play, watch or accept a fruit tingle at school from those auskick nonces they'll be living in a bus shelter on the banks of the yarra. I'd rather father a tribe of children to judith moran than acknowledge that inbred turd of a game

Wilson1

Juniors
How pathetic. Stop treating AFL as this great enemy. League fans are going to watch league and AFL fans will watch AFL. Giving the other sport one ground doesn't even matter.

gronkathon

First Grade
Do you understand what council is doing ? It is turfing out the district's biggest club of any f**king code that has over 2,000 registered players so some spastics who probably can't get a team together without ringins every weekend and/or scout stonewall and arq at 5am on game day for an extra player or 10, can play that geniused hybrid of village idiotball with the Harbour Bridge in the background.

Imagine the boners the Victorians will have when there is a sherrin with a real harbour and blue sky as a background rather than some cobble streeted shithole, with trains running down the main street with skies slightly lighter than dark black.

That fat turd demitriou will then be working himself into a lather at the prospect like some heavyweight fighter trying to drop a stone an hour before a weigh in.

The Balmain Dockers and Drummoyne Power are a bunch of exiled and/or geniused victorian spastics who think any day over 6 degrees in an excuse to get out the Hawaiin Tropic coconut oil and and a singlet and tan up before they blind side some bloke and think themselves tough

I have told my children in no uncertain terms that if they ever ask to play, watch or accept a fruit tingle at school from those auskick nonces they'll be living in a bus shelter on the banks of the yarra. I'd rather father a tribe of children to judith moran than acknowledge that inbred turd of a game

That bought a wry smile to my face, kudos

hineyrulz

Post Whore

I lol'd!!!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The AFL publisher cares for you. https://www.slatterymedia.com/store

cover_image.jpg

cover_image.jpg
f**k AFL. Filthy f**king disease.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your point aside, which seems to be valid yet extremely harsh.

Where the f**k would the NRL get the money for those upgrades? Your talking circa 80 to 100M??
If they had've been intent on maintaining grounds when the comp first started, they would have set up accounts etc for ground maintenance.

They could have sat on that for a few decades, building the kitty every year.

An upgrade of Leichhardt even in 1980 would have cost far less than it would today and the ground would be perfectly fine today.

You don't have to upgrade grounds very often, so the cash can just keep stockpiling until needed.

Then the NRL can rent the grounds out to rival codes at exorbitant prices, just like the rival sports did to rugby league for decades.

Perth Red

Post Whore
haha the game doesn't know what its doing next year, you think they would have a plan covering decades?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
No i don't think that. I didn't say i thought that.

I was going to ask 'can you read' but realised that the paradox would force the little bit of paper in your head with 'brain' written on it, to self combust.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/arl-commissioned-for-afl-stoush-20120625-20yno.html

ARL commissioned for AFL stoush
Glenn Jackson
June 26, 2012

THE ARL Commission has been drafted into the battle for Birchgrove Oval by a Leichhardt councillor opposed to Australian football being played on the ground.

Tonight, Leichhardt Council will vote on a report that recommends Australian football be played on the oval, which is considered the birthplace of rugby league. That has angered league officials, who believe the move is a hostile one by local AFL officials attempting to strengthen their foothold in the area on the back of a push into western Sydney.

While the NSW/ACT AFL insists the body is not targeting Birchgrove Oval because of its links with league, and simply wants ground usage for a growing sport, the report still met strong opposition from Labor councillor Darcy Byrne.

It proposes that AFL replace soccer at the ovals, shifting the Balmain and District FC to nearby grounds, while maintaining league's presence at Birchgrove.

Byrne held discussions with officials from the ARLC yesterday about ensuring the ground is tied even further to rugby league.

Byrne will put a motion to council tonight that recommends seeking a partnership with the ARLC to ''strengthen the relationship between rugby league and Birchgrove Oval''.

That could mean the commission, alongside the council, staging schools tournaments at the ground, as well as hosting educational, health and personal development programs for local schools there. There has also been preliminary discussion about the prospect of playing some senior rugby league at the venue, which hosted the first matches in Australia in 1908.

''The Green Party Council's plan would see local kids being booted off Birchgrove Oval to make way for senior AFL players who don't come from the local area,'' Byrne said.

''The Green Council's continuous refusal to act on the sporting fields crisis would only be made worse by this attempt install the NSW AFL at the expense of local clubs.

''A partnership with the Commission will respect Birchgrove Oval's heritage, expand grassroots programs and protect local kids from being kicked out.''

While local AFL officials have stated they have 1644 registered players living in the Leichhardt Council area, Byrne will demand that the figures from all codes be audited. His motion will ask that council defer ''further consideration of sporting fields allocation pending the submission of certified information to be supplied by all clubs and applicants of the postcodes of their registered junior and senior players participating in season-long competitions''.

He would also like council to ''acknowledge Birchgrove Oval as the current base for Balmain and District Football Club as well the historical importance of Birchgrove Oval as the birthplace of rugby league in Australia and the primary location for junior rugby league in the inner west''.

That's not to say Byrne is opposed to seeing AFL in the district. His motion will say that, ''pending the outcome of further verification of the number of registered players residing in the municipality, [council will] offer the NSW/ACT AFL alternative access to council grounds other than Birchgrove Oval for a series of clinics to be trialled over 12 months''.

GAZF

First Grade
While local AFL officials have stated they have 1644 registered players living in the Leichhardt Council area, Byrne will demand that the figures from all codes be audited. His motion will ask that council defer ''further consideration of sporting fields allocation pending the submission of certified information to be supplied by all clubs and applicants of the postcodes of their registered junior and senior players participating in season-long competitions''.

Lets do some maths

There are approximately 55,000 living in the Leichardt LGA [1]

Of which, 11.2% are aged between 5-19 and 38.8% between 20-39: the large majority of sports playing individuals (50% of the population) [2]

Of which, ~60% of children and ~26% of adults participate in organised sport (rough average, [3])

So the percentage of AFL participants out of the total (estimated) number of organised sports participants (ALL sports, not just football or winter codes) in the area would equal

1644/(55000*50%*{[0.112*0.6+0.388*0.26]/[0.112+0.388]})%=17.8% or between 1 in 5 and 1 in 6. I don't believe it.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
probably doing the usual AFL con job by counting anyone who attended an Auskick school cliniic

docbrown

Coach
Lets do some maths

There are approximately 55,000 living in the Leichardt LGA [1]

Of which, 11.2% are aged between 5-19 and 38.8% between 20-39: the large majority of sports playing individuals (50% of the population) [2]

Of which, ~60% of children and ~26% of adults participate in organised sport (rough average, [3])

So the percentage of AFL participants out of the total (estimated) number of organised sports participants (ALL sports, not just football or winter codes) in the area would equal

1644/(55000*50%*{[0.112*0.6+0.388*0.26]/[0.112+0.388]})%=17.8% or between 1 in 5 and 1 in 6. I don't believe it.

It's well within the council's rights to ask for a list of names.

A friendly phone call to the people on the list will confirm the AFL's bullshit numbers.