What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua

watatank

Coach
Don't get me wrong, I want the kid to succeed and do great things for us. I'm just concerned that our club management may have paid overs for an un-proven product.
But hey, that's footy these days I guess.

I hope someone digs this thread up in 2-3 years when he is lifting the premiership trophy in a Red V.

We signed him on a deal that reflects his talent. Even if we paid a little more it's only to 2018 anyway. Not that big a deal.

possm

Coach
Well if that is his problem they have had all summer to fix it, the problem our team has is scoring points and he has the ability to make that happen more then any other in the squad.
The main problem our team has is to do with the coaching staff. Members on here can identify skill problems with a player and come up with a remedy. We don't really know if our coaching staff identify these problems however, we certainly know that they do not remedy the situation e.g. Dugan's lack of ball playing skills, Aitken's problems with the high ball and lateral defence, Leilua's defensive skills ....

I would say that with a good coaching staff the skillset of our players would be improved and those players who do not show improvement would find themselves in the lower grade or let go.

Dragsters

First Grade
I think this thread is so premature it's bordering on ridiculous.

A solid example of how other clubs supporters tend to generalise dragons fans as never sarisfied.

Give the kid an opportunity to work on his areas of development.

I can't remember any kid coming straight outta 20's with a fully developed all-round game.

No-one. Immortals included.

Tez

Juniors
Here's hoping we didn't pay overs for a kid that hasn't done anything on the big stage, purely off the back of the success of his brother.

Offered SFA in the 9's, can't defend and is about as fit as George Rose.
Form in the Nines of large impact forwards is not an indication of how a player will go in the premiership. The Nines is naturally dominated by fast backs.

Carlton

Juniors

A solid example of how other clubs supporters tend to generalise dragons fans as never sarisfied.

I can't remember any kid coming straight outta 20's with a fully developed all-round game.

And this is exactly what I am saying, he has potential and we should be giving him the time to develop. He has deficiencies, I am not saying hang him, I am suggesting that those shortcomings need to be addressed before he can reach the level he is capable of.

The other point I was trying to make is he has some sublime skills, this is what is so exciting about him. However, he also has problems that at the moment limit his contribution in first grade. You cannot hide a second rower with defence problems, especially if we are talking about including Dufty and Field.

Old Timer

Coach

You have highlighted a salient point here Dragsters.
In the old days there were no U/20's there was 3rd grade and 2nd grade.
3rd grade was full of older, end of career footballers, who were craggy tough men, intermingled with young players so they had a scenario of already playing against bigger bodies and were more prepared if called upon.
2nd grade especially at St George was almost as good as everyone else 1st grade so much to be learnt if you were selected to play there.
The NRL in its wisdom moved away from what I believed was a good way for young players to develop.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
In think Leilua is just starting to understand the void between u20's (where his size and game was his greatest asset) and playing/training in first grade. His brother was similar when he was at the Knights but was one of the success stories of 2016 playing for the Raiders. I think Leilua will follow suit, he just needs to adapt both mentally and physically to the demands of an NRL player, it could take a few games or it could take a season, however, once the "light" is switched on (and I believe it has already) he will become one of the most dangerous forwards playing.

kit66

Bench
The kid has great potential and skill to burn, that was obvious from his efforts in the juniors, My only concern is his fitness for first grade. A few months in the Cutters will serve him well. I hope to see him in First Grade some time this year and going great guns. No need to rush.

Frank Facer

First Grade
You

You said that you can not remember any kid coming out of 20's with and all round game. Brad Clyde and Sonny Bill didn't come through the 20's but they both had great all round games when still teenagers.

Brad Clyde at 19 years old was one of the best players I have ever seen. He had an all round game at 19. He could take a hit up, he could run off another forward or halfback, he could step, he had great defence, he had a massive work rate, I thought he was going to be a future immortal when he was 19. NSW picked him for origin aged 19. I had not seen much of him. He was one of NSW best players in his first origin series as a teenager. He was picked for Australia the same year. He won a Clive Churchill medal at 19 and also won Canberra's player of the year aged 19. Injuries prevented him from becoming a better player in his 20's than he was when he was 19, 20 and 21.

Sonny Bill is another who had a great all round game when he first started playing first grade. He was a freak talent.

I think that Nathan Cleary looks to have a pretty good all round game.

I do agree with you that we should allow time for Leilua develop his game more. His bother certainly has developed his game over the last few years.

Dragsters

First Grade
It seems as though the plan all along for him was to play against men for a year, get fit and develop his game.

It seems he has achieved both and if he has a strong off season then I expect to see him in the top grade next season.

I reckon he has skills that our other fringe back rowers lack...

dragonssamy61

First Grade
It seems as though the plan all along for him was to play against men for a year, get fit and develop his game.

It seems he has achieved both and if he has a strong off season then I expect to see him in the top grade next season.

I reckon he has skills that our other fringe back rowers lack...

Dragsters
He will learn a lot of Graham.
With off loading and when to run.

Must be given a bench spot next season

Is the creative x factor we need and has played along side Dufty. Great off load, and cut out pass.

Watched Illawarra a fair bit this season. Don't agree with the negative dribble some forum members have wheeled out concerning him being unfit and lazy. He ran hard and often. Unlike most forwards he has something between the ears.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I hope that Leilua is either starting second rower or on the bench for us next year. I am hoping that either or both of Leilua and Host can be better than Thompson by 2019.

Latest posts