What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowest of the lows

JoeD

First Grade
Don't know about anyone else but the last 3 months have definitely been the lowest point for me in Warriors history. Have been a season ticket holder since '95 and in the past have only missed watching televised games due to travel. Made it to both GFs. Obviously i'm a keen fan.

Last weekend I was at home flicking channels and the Warriors popped up. Had forgotten they were on. Watched for 30 seconds and kept flicking.

Scott

Bench
I'm still continuing to watch all games. Tough times indeed. Usually I can be an emotional viewer, lately I've watched in silence with no emotion. Being a fan is about good times & bad times. I have no time for people who jump back on board when the good times roll around.

A week ago, I could see no way forward. The news of the sale of the club has since provided me with a bit of hope. Something has to change, so the sale & a new owner with new ideas can't be a bad thing, right?

Living in Wellington, with a young family, I can't get to the games, but I try & get to a couple a year & like you Joe have been to both GF's.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah it's pretty bad, can't remember a much worse time. 1999-2000 were terrible but we'd never really been good at that point and we still occasionally pulled entertaining wins out of nowhere. 2004 and 2012 were utter debacles but because they came so soon after GFs you had the feeling that those situations could be fixed with a shakeup. This year feels like the problems are far deeper.

JoeD

First Grade
Totally agree with being a fan during the highs and lows. If I'm at the game I don't leave till the final whistle.

Part of the problem is the worse we are the more other things annoy me. Ref decisions and brain dead commentators add misery upon misery.

ozenzud

Juniors
Don't know about anyone else but the last 3 months have definitely been the lowest point for me in Warriors history. Have been a season ticket holder since '95 and in the past have only missed watching televised games due to travel. Made it to both GFs. Obviously i'm a keen fan.

Last weekend I was at home flicking channels and the Warriors popped up. Had forgotten they were on. Watched for 30 seconds and kept flicking.

Definitely agree. There have been some miserable years, but this is definitely the worst. At least there was some entertainment value in other years. They are flat boring to watch. I'm finding other things to work my weekend around. On the positive, been going and watching my local club. That is real league and loving that.

Izz

Bench
Don't know about anyone else but the last 3 months have definitely been the lowest point for me in Warriors history.
Yup, agreed. Saddest thing for me is i pretty much gave up on the season after about only 10 rounds. I've never felt like that before.

JoeD

First Grade
occasionally pulled entertaining wins out of nowhere.

This. Not only are we losing but it's not fun anymore. A fond memory of mine is John Simon helping us waste newcastle 42-0 in the pouring rain at my smart. Probably 1999. We were shit that season but when we were having fun and on top, eat unstoppable

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
occasionally pulled entertaining wins out of nowhere.

This. Not only are we losing but it's not fun anymore. A fond memory of mine is John Simon helping us waste newcastle 42-0 in the pouring rain at my smart. Probably 1999. We were shit that season but when we were having fun and on top, eat unstoppable

That was 99, remember it well. wss the first game that came to mind. Back then we used to often play well at the back end of the season when out of contention, now they give up after origin :/

Benek

Juniors
Totally agree Joe. I feel the same way.

For the first time ever, I don't feel a pinch at all about not attending home games (used to go to every one even in the shittiest weather). Don't even feel bad if I don't watch on TV. For the first time ever, very seriously considering not renewing season membership next year.

Just complete apathy at this point, which is a sign the club is in real trouble. Even the diehard fans can't find a shit to give anymore.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The other day I actually caught myself thinking if a well run side managed to poach Simon and SJ and give them the chance they deserve at a premiership, I'd probably be happy and switch my support. Shows how much I've lost faith in the Warriors as a whole.

JJ

Immortal
I'I guess it will all make the premiership when/if it happens all the sweeter - that said the Sharkies had to wait 50 years

TheDMC

Bench
I'm still watching, but with the expectation that we will lose and play poorly - so at least I am not getting particularly frustrated by results and performance. I'm focusing on finding some positives in each game and looking closely at who is playing well, who has potential, and who needs to be shown the door. All useful information for my imaginary role in deciding what happens for the clean out. I'm struggling to find a team that I can, with some level of care factor, support in the finals. Maybe Cronulla...just because they and Roosters are probably the only two in with a shot of beating Melbourne, plus there is something about their grittiness I like.

the Rugby Championships starts this weekend, so I will really be getting my sport fix from that rather than the NRL, at least passion wise.

Dire times indeed, but character building for supporters - just got to manage expectations and be patient with the PROCESS.

Expectations where pumped up preseason with Foran and the Kiwi spine.
Didn't happen, so makes the fall seem worse.
Have similar feelings as rest, still keep watching even if a protest replay watch.
Don't see new ownership bringing what we need. A proven coach who has the full club, board, players and fan support to turn this around over 2-3 years.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
About 4-5 hours after the game my mind flicked back to it. At the time it felt like the game had been played on Friday the memory was so distant. That's when I realised I had watched the game and not given it a second thought after I was done.

It's just way too easy to not care when they lose these days.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, it's the lowest for me. The six years out of finals, the sustained lack of living up to hype and failed signings, little or no sign of attacking flair etc etc. Only one 'entertaining' win this year on GC where we scored over 30 points, the CEO says we lose by less these days then the following happens:

Lose by 12, lose by 14, lose by 16, lose by 20. Wonder what's to come v the Bunnies..

MKEB...

Staff member
The sad thing for me: I make a point of finishing work on time to catch the game. Half way through the second half I switch off and prepare for the grief I am about to receive at work.

The chances of a comeback is nil.

The biggest question I get asked is "what is going on with the Warriors?" I can only shrug my shoulders and say "well we cant really blame the refs"..."I really dont know"

Warriorsoul

Juniors
I think this weekend was the least interested I've been in watching a game in the entire history. How do I know that? The missus was pestering me to go to one of our 4 year olds friends birthday parties. I was almost tempted. I'd rather have endured three hours of a room full of screaming rugrats smearing cake on carpet, making awkward small talk with fathers I had never met before than watch the Warriors :(
In the end I watched the game. I'm still not sure I made the right decision

Latest posts