What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Warriors @ Sky Stadium, Wellington

Who will win? Round 1: Warriors v Newcastle

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slotmachine

First Grade
Don't agree re: blame on the Saifiti's.

The undersized middle we didn't want clearly outplayed Jacob and wasn't too far away from Dan.

This wasn't a game against a team with a good pack either.

If that's what we're getting from them every week we are in huge trouble.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Jeez there’s some OTT negativity in here, even by this forum’s standards.

It’s round 1 guys! Repeat. It’s round 1!

We’ve got a team where a number of guys in key positions have barely played with each other. Both Hastings and Miller signed with us during the off season and several others have been injured, Elliott and Hetherington didn’t even play a trial match.

Honestly, I thought for the most part the attitude was pretty good. We absorbed a heap of pressure especially when we were down to 12 men and it seemed more like fatigue got us there at the end. Having KP go off when the game was in the balance was shit timing as well.

The most concerning part is that the game plan appears to be the same as what it was last year which involves basically not playing any footy at all until we get into the 20m zone and even then it usually revolves around a few forwards hitups and a block play. We also appear to have no plan B. Basically when we’re down by a try or two with 15 mins to go we don’t throw anything different at them, just the same stuff for 80 mins regardless of the situation.

Whilst I get that the last couple of decades has worn thin on people I really don’t think this was anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. If I read this thread first before looking at the score you’d think we lost by 50.

On the whole I thought Miller was really busy, KP was good across the board, even in defence. Hastings was solid without doing anything extraordinary, I actually thought Brailey did some clever things around the ruck, committing the markers and keeping the defence accountable. We seemed to really lose our momentum when the Safs went off and our bench struggled to hold the warriors pack during that middle part of the game.

We also need to remember what happened last year where we played our best game in round 1 and it looked like things were humming then we totally fell apart after that. I’m comfortable with us building up some form this year and hopefully the performances will improve incrementally as we go. We’ve basically overhauled our whole spine so IT WILL TAKE TIME.

Volcom6685

Juniors
It was an uninspiring performance against another side that won't be playing finals.
If fans want to pretend that's a positive thing good luck to them
You never find a positive in anything the knights have done even when they are winning . I used to think this forum was a bit more level headed than the other. I was very very wrong . Both are filled with the most negative views possible . How often have we gone to NZ and won. We’ve won 9 from 24 games over there . 7 of those were when Joey was playing

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It was an uninspiring performance against another side that won't be playing finals.
If fans want to pretend that's a positive thing good luck to them
Not saying I wasn’t disappointed mate, but it’s round 1 after a pre-season with a number of key personnel changes and people are acting like the world is ending.

General Knight

Juniors
You never find a positive in anything the knights have done even when they are winning . I used to think this forum was a bit more level headed than the other. I was very very wrong . Both are filled with the most negative views possible . How often have we gone to NZ and won. We’ve won 9 from 24 games over there . 7 of those were when Joey was playing
I think its a build up of being shit for the last 20 years.

Old dog

Juniors
Saf’s should be playing 50-60 min each, playing strong, and together half the time, bench players covering 40-60 minutes and the Saf’s need to be leading the way, we are way down on middle forwards, actually all forwards.

macavity

Referee
Mann 4 ineffective tackles. He should be in 14 not 13. Although Elliott was close to worst on field last night.

ryan.a87

Juniors
I’m trying to give Elliott the benefit of the doubt because he is coming back from injury with next to no pre season

once he builds some match fitness…..he should start at 13 with Mann at 14

Knight76

Juniors

So, just a thought here, but maybe the team recognise they don't have a good record there and they are going to need to lift and rise to that challenge!

Geez if we are going to look at games from the persepctive of our past record against them it is going to be a very long season of misery as we don't have a good record against many teams.

And negative views, what are you expecting after 20 years of failure, and still repeating the same thing and expecting to get results from it?

I'm on a facebook Knights group and by now it appears Knights fans are split in to two groups, one group willingly call out the rubbish that they see, and for the other group it's non stop stupport never criticise unless your out their playing the game types!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I’m seriously questioning the teams training method. It was incredible watching soooo many hit ups taken right near the ruck. The markers would do the initial contact and the defensive line would join in and take us down. Surely we need to run onto the ball a bit wider to take the markers out of play.

Frederick

Staff member
So, just a thought here, but maybe the team recognise they don't have a good record there and they are going to need to lift and rise to that challenge!

Geez if we are going to look at games from the persepctive of our past record against them it is going to be a very long season of misery as we don't have a good record against many teams.

And negative views, what are you expecting after 20 years of failure, and still repeating the same thing and expecting to get results from it?

I'm on a facebook Knights group and by now it appears Knights fans are split in to two groups, one group willingly call out the rubbish that they see, and for the other group it's non stop stupport never criticise unless your out their playing the game types!
It's the same on twitter. God forbid you criticise Ponga on there

Yosh

Coach
Our gameppan looks like it was built for an under 15s side. Far too simple and plain. This is the NRL, the pinnical of rugby league. We need to be far superior technically and tactically. We look like we are playing football from the early 2000s....

The Saifiti's phoning it in this year is going to really take its toll with our go-forward. No Klemmer to make up for them slacking off and question marks on our bench props being any better. I'm expecting us to probably look much worse than last year.
Thompson was great last night to be fair. Hopefully Croker comes back in with the same confidence and intent

The Safs need a rocket

Yeah ok, go back to Marathon Stadium mate. I'm sure their views are much more in line with your thinking. Unbridled 1 eyed ness and simpleton level optimism

Volcom6685

Juniors
N
Yeah ok, go back to Marathon Stadium mate. I'm sure their views are much more in line with your thinking. Unbridled 1 eyed ness and simpleton level optimism
No they’re just as bad as here . Instead of any sort of level headed assessment of the game it’s all . We are so bad . We are terrible. Wooden spoon here we come . Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be anywhere that can take the emotion out of a game and actually analyse it .