What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Ballin knee gone again

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If injury ends his career then the remaining years of his contract are not paid out or included in the cap as far as I understand.

If he seeks compensation, i think that money vomes out of the clubs insurance and not the cap, but I'm not certain about that.

We won't know if his career is over until after the operation. The doctor will asses the recovery and make a judgement then.

Tigerm

First Grade
If injury ends his career then the remaining years of his contract are not paid out or included in the cap as far as I understand.

If he seeks compensation, i think that money vomes out of the clubs insurance and not the cap, but I'm not certain about that.

We won't know if his career is over until after the operation. The doctor will asses the recovery and make a judgement then.

Cheers

BrotherJim05

Bench
ffs our roster is in shabbles. I heard that Soward is on the outer at Penrith. If Moses had taken the offer to go to Roosters we could have chased him and had the perfect halves partner for Brooks.

If Farah leaves and Ballin retires then we are left with nothing. These back ended options have completely screwed us over.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It all comes back to my concerns at the end of last year and the start of this year, our biggest risk was losing Cherrington.

He seems to be the first player that Taylor has turned away.

If Ballin is forced to retire, Cherrington signs elsewhere (which he's been rumoured to be considering), Halatau retires and Farah goes to Leeds, we have Liddle left, with no NRL experience, and expected to play 80 mins from game 1.

It makes the Ballin signing even more stupid, because it risked us losing Cherrington, the player we could least afford to lose, as he and Liddle could've played in tandem.

Taylor's power plays continue to f**k the team over. He'd lose a game of wits with a half broken housebrick.

Should look at signing Damien Cook. He's young, keen to play and would be cheap. No point bring DeGois back, he's only going to last a year. We need someone who can go for 2-3 years so we can ease Liddle into the full time gig.

Tigerted

Juniors
Even with the roosters financial wherewithal they were never going to recklessly outbid us for Moses.

As much as I've been a Farah fan I hope he goes to UK so we can put the huge money he's on to effective use.Segeyero is the obvious hooker to try recruit & hopefully Liddle kicks on & realizes his enormous potential in the NRL for us.

I can't c Penrith letting Wallace leave but he'd b ideal as he can very competently play @ hooker & in the halves & would b a great mentor for our under-performing duo.

Fordy20

Juniors
If Farah goes, I can't see any reason why Cherrington would leave. If Cherrington leaves then we definitely need to chase another hooker and Cook would be ideal.

magpie guy

Juniors
Even with the roosters financial wherewithal they were never going to recklessly outbid us for Moses.

As much as I've been a Farah fan I hope he goes to UK so we can put the huge money he's on to effective use.Segeyero is the obvious hooker to try recruit & hopefully Liddle kicks on & realizes his enormous potential in the NRL for us.

I can't c Penrith letting Wallace leave but he'd b ideal as he can very competently play @ hooker & in the halves & would b a great mentor for our under-performing duo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a large portion of Farah's salary back-pay from previous seasons where he took a pay-cut to help out salary cap issues? In that case he is more than entitled to that money and the fault lies with WT management for continuously ballsing up the cap.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a large portion of Farah's salary back-pay from previous seasons where he took a pay-cut to help out salary cap issues? In that case he is more than entitled to that money and the fault lies with WT management for continuously ballsing up the cap.
Correct

Tigerted

Juniors
I have no beef with Robbie.He has served this club greatly & he made financial compromises previously which is why his contract is back ended.

We r paying an extraordinary price for the huge incompetence of the degenerate Mayer & to a lesser extent the halfwit humphreys !

We've had more than our fair share of intellectually & ethically challenged CEO's.
If buckets turns out to b made from the same cloth the WT may as well become defunct !

Fordy20

Juniors
I have no beef with Robbie.He has served this club greatly & he made financial compromises previously which is why his contract is back ended.

We r paying an extraordinary price for the huge incompetence of the degenerate Mayer & to a lesser extent the halfwit humphreys !

We've had more than our fair share of intellectually & ethically challenged CEO's.
If buckets turns out to b made from the same cloth the WT may as well become defunct !

You can't put this on the CEOs. The board made every CEO after a Longmuir a lame duck when they sacked Longmuir for trying to put KPIs on the football department. After that it became clear the CEO was just there to rubber stamp whatever the board wanted to do. Now the new board has to live with the stupid decisions made by the old board, as well as the stupid decisions they've made themselves, like punting Potter and bringing in Taylor.

Tigerted

Juniors
Yes u r right Fordy20.No doubt we have been riddled with incompetence @ all levels of decision making @ this club for so damn long.That infamous rejection by the board of the enforcement of kpi's was symbolic of the lack of professionalism & transparency associated with this dysfunctional entity from day 1.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It handed extra authority to the coach. After Sheens they took all that authority back which hamstrung Potter.

They then gave the wrong coach the right amount of authority.

simmo05

Bench
What a cancerous mob. Sack anyone who has been involved with the club for the past 10 years; 1 premiership since 1968 for balmain, soorrrrry wests do not know your premierships, but im sure its not many lol. The whole club is built on a losing culture, one that has been going on for #ucking years. I do not know that it can be fixed, and we are going to talking the same shit in 20 years time

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well in the 63 years Since 1953 the three sides have won two premierships
Balmain in 1969 and Wests Tigers in 2005.

While Balmain enjoyed a golden period from around 1985 til 1990, its hardly anything to crow about as they lost 2 premierships in that time.

While Wests had a golden period from 1978 til 1982 which again produced no success.

Wests Tigers haven't had a golden period yet that lasted more than 2 seasons.

Too long the clubs have been run like 'back in the good old days'

70 odd years of antiquated thinking and practices.

The Rosco

Bench
Well in the 63 years Since 1953 the three sides have won two premierships
Balmain in 1969 and Wests Tigers in 2005.

While Balmain enjoyed a golden period from around 1985 til 1990, its hardly anything to crow about as they lost 2 premierships in that time.

While Wests had a golden period from 1978 til 1982 which again produced no success.

Wests Tigers haven't had a golden period yet that lasted more than 2 seasons.

Too long the clubs have been run like 'back in the good old days'

70 odd years of antiquated thinking and practices.

No NO No Madunit. WT are progressive, modern thinkers. They appointed Marina Go as chair.
A female chair in the big bad mens world of rugby league. No sexism here. We appoint the best person for the job/ an ineffective woman to appease the lefties in Darling St Balmain.
Guess which one.

Tigerm

First Grade
No NO No Madunit. WT are progressive, modern thinkers. They appointed Marina Go as chair.
A female chair in the big bad mens world of rugby league. No sexism here. We appoint the best person for the job/ an ineffective woman to appease the lefties in Darling St Balmain.
Guess which one.

Yes but Wests are effectively running the club now, aren't they?

Tigerm

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k/news-story/881d11e68f814ae641cb906ff7c3dbe2

WESTS Tigers veteran Matt Ballin has vowed to return to the field in 2017, denying speculation his career could be over.

Ballin ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament towards the end of last season when playing for Manly, but was picked up by the Tigers nonetheless.

He made his club debut in round 11 when lasting just five minutes before being forced from the field concussed, then picked up another knee injury the following week against Brisbane.

The ACL hasn’t been ruptured this time but Ballin will head to the operating theatre once more, ruling him out for the remainder of 2016.

“Not at one stage have I ever thought about retiring,” Ballin told Fox Sports News.

“There’s still a lot of desire to play footy and all these guys in the team, the young fellas, keep me young.

“They’ve been into me about my age and all that but I’ll be there next year and playing the best footy I can.

“We’ve got a great group of young players and senior players in the team so it’s frustrating to be out again, but I’m going to do my best to help the team out in whatever way for the rest of the year.”

You can also subscribe via iTunes or for Android users, listen on the iPP Podcast Player app.

Ballin, 32, is contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2017.

His return from injury a month ago was meant to put the heat on fellow experienced hooker Robbie Farah, who has been on the outer at the club for the best part of 12 months.

Farah was “rested” by coach Jason Taylor last week and is likely to start on the bench for Friday’s clash with South Sydney despite being named at No.9.

He will share the duties with backrow utility Dene Halatau, while recruit Elijah Taylor and youngster Mania Cherrington are other options at rake.

Ballin went on the front foot to rubbish ongoing rumours of a rift between Farah and Taylor.

Matt Ballin of the Tigers passes the ball on club debut in round 11.Matt Ballin of the Tigers passes the ball on club debut in round 11. Source: AAP
“I’m not going to speak for Robbie or Jason Taylor, but I think it’s been made clear in the media that they are getting on with the job, they are working hard to get this team plenty of wins,” Ballin said.

“From what I’ve seen at training this week Robbie has been in there, he’s been smiling, he’s been happy and enthusiastic, and so has JT.

“They both want this team to play well and to win, and that’s all they can do at this stage.”

BrotherJim05

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k/news-story/881d11e68f814ae641cb906ff7c3dbe2

WESTS Tigers veteran Matt Ballin has vowed to return to the field in 2017, denying speculation his career could be over.

Ballin ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament towards the end of last season when playing for Manly, but was picked up by the Tigers nonetheless.

He made his club debut in round 11 when lasting just five minutes before being forced from the field concussed, then picked up another knee injury the following week against Brisbane.

The ACL hasn?t been ruptured this time but Ballin will head to the operating theatre once more, ruling him out for the remainder of 2016.

?Not at one stage have I ever thought about retiring,? Ballin told Fox Sports News.

?There?s still a lot of desire to play footy and all these guys in the team, the young fellas, keep me young.

?They?ve been into me about my age and all that but I?ll be there next year and playing the best footy I can.

?We?ve got a great group of young players and senior players in the team so it?s frustrating to be out again, but I?m going to do my best to help the team out in whatever way for the rest of the year.?

You can also subscribe via iTunes or for Android users, listen on the iPP Podcast Player app.

Ballin, 32, is contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2017.

His return from injury a month ago was meant to put the heat on fellow experienced hooker Robbie Farah, who has been on the outer at the club for the best part of 12 months.

Farah was ?rested? by coach Jason Taylor last week and is likely to start on the bench for Friday?s clash with South Sydney despite being named at No.9.

He will share the duties with backrow utility Dene Halatau, while recruit Elijah Taylor and youngster Mania Cherrington are other options at rake.

Ballin went on the front foot to rubbish ongoing rumours of a rift between Farah and Taylor.

Matt Ballin of the Tigers passes the ball on club debut in round 11.Matt Ballin of the Tigers passes the ball on club debut in round 11. Source: AAP
?I?m not going to speak for Robbie or Jason Taylor, but I think it?s been made clear in the media that they are getting on with the job, they are working hard to get this team plenty of wins,? Ballin said.

?From what I?ve seen at training this week Robbie has been in there, he?s been smiling, he?s been happy and enthusiastic, and so has JT.

?They both want this team to play well and to win, and that?s all they can do at this stage.?

Well at least if Farah decides to leave we will have Ballin to fill his shoes. Hopefully this is the last major injury we will see from him.