What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGregor appreciation

denis preston

First Grade
teams have form slumps.
i'd rather be in a slump now than in the finals when we get there.
we should be in the 8 & then we can give this title a real good shake.

Well Greg , admire your positivity. In my opinion our "slump" is because the coaching staff don't have any other method or Plan B . If we want to go back to how we played earlier in the season we would have to give at least 2 to 3 forwards , 3 weeks rest and we clearly won't do that. Either way , signs of a resurgence has to start this week as it won't just happen like magic.

gregstar

Referee
Well Greg , admire your positivity. In my opinion our "slump" is because the coaching staff don't have any other method or Plan B . If we want to go back to how we played earlier in the season we would have to give at least 2 to 3 forwards , 3 weeks rest and we clearly won't do that. Either way , signs of a resurgence has to start this week as it won't just happen like magic.
we will be finishing strongly.

i have backed mcgregor in many other threads, so i am not abandoning him now because of a form slump.

Crush

Coach
I think its pretty poor that people slate McGregor so much. Calling him McIdiot, McJetski, McFooknuckle, L-plates etc. I think there should be a certain level of respect.
I think its fine to criticise and say he is doing a poor job but at least call him by his name.
Its called respect.
He is still the coach of our club and an and ex-player of our club.
Just my opinion.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I think its pretty poor that people slate McGregor so much. Calling him McIdiot, McJetski, McFooknuckle, L-plates etc. I think there should be a certain level of respect.
I think its fine to criticise and say he is doing a poor job but at least call him by his name.
Its called respect.
Just my opinion.
You have to earn respect how much has Paul McGregor earnt CRUSH

Gareth67

First Grade

As a player for both St.George and Illawarra plenty , as a coach , most unfortunately ( as has been mentioned by others , on numerous occasions ) a huge disappointment . However a person can only do their best , nothing more than that . It is not he , whom is offering the coaching contracts , but others ,that seem intent on destroying the club.

Last edited:
I was just looking at our journey through 2016 - the main points
1. We got flogged to zip by Cowboys and Brisbane in rounds 5 and 6 respectively.
2. Got touched up by the Dogs in round 14 then had a win against an origin weakened Melbourne side and then another win against Newcastle. 2 in a row.
After those 2 wins we had managed to edge into the 8 and had everything to play for while surging into the finals.
3. Instead we went on a streak of 5 losses in a row including floggings at the hands of Manly (6-36) and the Titans (12-32).
Ultimately, we finished with 7 losses from the last 9 games with the final embarrassment being a 6-42 flogging at the hands of the Roosters.
So from round 16 when we were in the eighth, we totally collapsed to finish 11th.
We conceded 30 points or more on 8 occasions in 2016 which doesn't say much for our much talked about "D".
I honestly lost all respect for McGregor and whoever was responsible for an abysmal end of the season.
Widdop was the captain during 2016 and again this year.
Why would you expect anything different?

Crush

Coach
Cmon. Thats rubbish. Maybe we have different values but I respect all of the players and coaches of our club enough to call them by their names. Same goes for posters on this forum. I respect people enough not to call them names. I don't call Old Timer 'Old Fart' even though we often disagree on matters. I don't call Objective View 'Objective Spew' even though we never agree on much. Its called respect. I'll go toe to toe with those guys on their views but Ill always call them by their names, or in this case "usernames" because I respect them.
I respect Mary enough not to call him by derogatory silly names.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Its called respect.
Just my opinion.
Pucker up buttercup. You sound like a big baby girls blouse.

It's a dog eat dog world - you ever meet fearless Frank Facer or killer Kearney or poppa Clay.

There was a reason we won 11 in a row old pal.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
1. We got flogged to zip by Cowboys and Brisbane in rounds 5 and 6 respectively.
2. Got touched up by the Dogs in round 14 then had a win against an origin weakened Melbourne side and then another win against Newcastle. 2 in a row.
After those 2 wins we had managed to edge into the 8 and had everything to play for while surging into the finals.
3. Instead we went on a streak of 5 losses in a row including floggings at the hands of Manly (6-36) and the Titans (12-32).
Ultimately, we finished with 7 losses from the last 9 games with the final embarrassment being a 6-42 flogging at the hands of the Roosters.
So from round 16 when we were in the eighth, we totally collapsed to finish 11th.
We conceded 30 points or more on 8 occasions in 2016 which doesn't say much for our much talked about "D".
I honestly lost all respect for McGregor and whoever was responsible for an abysmal end of the season.
This is an intelligent post.

Our board love to ignore the facts.

The 2017 epitaph so far is looking very similar.

Will need to see a huge shift in coaching strategy starting this weekend for me to believe anything differently.

Will need to see a huge shift in coaching strategy starting this weekend for me to believe anything differently.
I think you will see a huge shift in intensity rather then coaching strategy.

We are fielding McGregor's preferred and strongest side against Manly who are missing a few.
There will be no excuses after Sunday.

Crush

Coach
I think last year the style of footy we played was different to this year. Last year we were so boring to watch, we couldn't score points and just tried to win games by grinding away. At least this year we are scoring some points and offloading instead of just trying to complete sets like last year. Thats the main difference for me.
Lets see what happens from here, I hope that they have a red hot dig from now and if they lose, well so be it.
Next year my expectations will be infinitely higher with Hunt on board. I think this year we are struggling without a game manager.

BennyV

Referee
Its called respect.
Just my opinion.
Meh. McJetski has shown a clear lack of respect for the fans of the club, even going so far as to blame us for having too high expectations of the team last year. What has he done as a coach to earn our respect?!

Coffs dragon

Bench
If he could just show us more of that ability to change & adapt that was rammed down our throats by Management. We might all afford him some form of respect if he also accepted responsibility & was held accountable instead of applying the deflector.