What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milford / Oates collision.... play-on or not?

justdave

Juniors
Why are we having discussions like this every, single week. The refs need to just enforce the rules and not have an individual interpretation of a rule

It inconsistent, frustrating and annoying

Canard

Immortal
Why are we having discussions like this every, single week. The refs need to just enforce the rules and not have an individual interpretation of a rule

It inconsistent, frustrating and annoying

For mine this one is highly uncontroversial. Duty of care always trumps the rule book.

Its only a talking point because some bogan ex-players raised it during the commentary.

no name

Coach
Fittler has a point though, by the time the whistle was blown, Oates was in no further danger and the trainers were already with him.
If they made an instant decision (which is very hard, I admit) I would be fine with it, the fact that play had cleared the injured players by over 10 metres, I still think it should have been play on, if accidental offside wasn't ruled.

You left out a couple of important points.
They are 1 without one of the games most damaging wingers for the majority of the game. 2 without one of the best fullbacks in the game and 3 without pangai a very good attacking forward. If they all return next week look out dipshit

You'll be lucky to get within 40 points of Melbourne.

Canard

Immortal
Fittler has a point though, by the time the whistle was blown, Oates was in no further danger and the trainers were already with him.

To make the call "he was in no further danger" is a pretty big risk to take for any official.

It's an on the spot decision made by a guy trying to keep up with the run of play.

It impossible to make a black and white ruling for this sort of incident, and quite frankly I don't think as a sport we want to.

no name

Coach
To make the call "he was in no further danger" is a pretty big risk to take for any official.

It's an on the spot decision made by a guy trying to keep up with the run of play.

It impossible to make a black and white ruling for this sort of incident, and quite frankly I don't think as a sport we want to.
There was no play around him, the trainer was with him.
I don't think it was a massive wrong call, I just think play on should have been called.
I am happy for them to err on the side of caution, just don't know how consistent they will be with it.

Canard

Immortal
There was no play around him, the trainer was with him.
I don't think it was a massive wrong call, I just think play on should have been called.
I am happy for them to err on the side of caution, just don't know how consistent they will be with it.

I think this sort of thing will never be consistent. It will always be case by case.

I think once we as fans let go of our consistency fixation(I include me in that)the game will be better off.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Section 16. Note on Rule 8 says:
The advantage law applies to all phases of play, but where a team infringes in a strong tactical position the advantage should be allowed only if the ball goes immediately into the possession of the non-offending team.

The referee is the sole judge of what constitutes an advantage be it tactical or territorial. An infringement is not 'negated' simply because the ball touches or is touched by an opponent. The opponent must have adequate opportunity to take advantage and must endeavour to do so before play is allowed to proceed.

Application of the advantage laws does not deprive the Referee of subsequently dealing with the offending player.

So tell me again why advantage could not have been played?

Your examples of areas where advantage is not applied is flawed. A mutual infringement by definition is where one team gains an unfair advantage from an irregularity not covered by the laws.

Regarding restarts of play, a penalty to the non-offending team is the most advantageous outcome 99% of the team. Eg. A player is in front of the kickoff. The Referee could either penalise at half way on the spot, or allow advantage and wait and see if the receiving team make a bust? Cmon of course the penalty is the better option

you said advantage is applied in all phases of play
that is NOT correct
as Ive indicated

team B kicks off , a player is in front of the kick
the referee doesn't wait to see if the recieving side makes a bust of that first play does he ?
why ?
because there is no advantage from starts or restarts of play thats why.

snickers007

Juniors
you said advantage is applied in all phases of play
that is NOT correct
as Ive indicated

team B kicks off , a player is in front of the kick
the referee doesn't wait to see if the recieving side makes a bust of that first play does he ?
why ?
because there is no advantage from starts or restarts of play thats why.

Gotcha.
Rule book = wrong. Thanks for the lesson

GongPanther

Referee
Broncos hooker Ben Hunt believes play could have continued after Corey Oates was knocked unconscious midway through the first half of Brisbane's 13-6 semi-final win over the Penrith Panthers.

With ball in hand and the Broncos leading 6-0, Oates collided with teammate Anthony Milford's shoulder and fell to the ground in sickening scenes.

In the process, Oates dropped the ball and the Panthers quickly picked it up, launching a counter attack down the Broncos' left edge.

Referee Gerard Sutton then stopped play just as it looked like a try could have come from Penrith's quick thinking and it was that call which has caused much debate within rugby league circles.

To put it simply, Sutton was focused on the welfare of Oates who was soon stretchered off the ground and unable to return to the field.

The NRL backed Sutton's decision after the match, saying that play could be stopped immediately in circumstances such as Oates's where the ball was sitting between two players who looked to be in a lot of trouble.

Hunt, who was near Oates at the time of impact, was happy with the decision but said he would have understood if play continued due to the fact Penrith were running in the opposite direction from the incident.

"It's a tough one. I think in that instance against Penrith it probably should have been play on. Play was going away from where he was," Hunt said.

"If it's around where someone is knocked out and the players are coming towards you then obviously they need to stop it because someone is in danger.

"It's definitely a tough one. I can see why the referees pulled it up straight away. You could tell he was in a bad place and they just wanted to help him, but at the same time if I was Penrith I would have been pretty upset about that."

In the end Brisbane won the match by seven points, a result Oates does not remember after waking up in the change rooms wondering how he arrived there.

The head knock was so bad that Oates may not play this week against the Melbourne Storm in Friday night's preliminary final. David Mead is on standby to play if Oates is not deemed unfit.

Hunt and his teammates are hopeful Oates will recover in time but they understand his health ultimately comes first.

"He's always got something going on injury wise," Hunt joked.

"I definitely know one thing and that's that he will always do what's best for the team.

"He seems to be getting around training and throwing chat at everyone now so he must be getting back to his usual self."

http://www.nrl.com/hunt-sympathises-with-penrith-on-call/tabid/10874/newsid/112251/default.aspx

Going to be interesting from now on whether play gets halted with 1 minute on the clock in the GF,with a defending player 20 yards out from his own line,"faints".Then in the next tackle,another defending player will go down hurt,etc,etc.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
i am so sick of hearing what if this happens in grand final.. blah blah..

2 exact things never happen ffs.....

Its called life,.. nothing is ever the exactly the same... ever.. it feels similar, but its not the exact same..

no name

Coach
i am so sick of hearing what if this happens in grand final.. blah blah..

2 exact things never happen ffs.....

Its called life,.. nothing is ever the exactly the same... ever.. it feels similar, but its not the exact same..
You obviously never watched the 2006 AFL GF.....

Latest posts