What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sorry I'm not posting it, but I just read an article in a cafe about him talking about playing against his Dad this week. From what he's saying I'll be shocked if he isn't coached by Ivan at some stage in his career. It's been mentioned a few times how he and Brooks both come off contract in 2019. In about 12 months the speculation is going to go through the roof.

Last edited:
It's a possibility that has a very good chance of happening,not meaning to down play the kids ability or bagging our current half but Cronk and JT would struggle playing behind our pack atm,Moses for instance was a disgrace for us this season but behind a dominant pack at Parra is playing well.

Tiger05

First Grade
I can't see Ivan getting sacked but I also can't see Nathan coming here. It's 2 years off. A lot can happen in that time.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I'd be more worried about the Roosters getting him once they realise the one they've got is garbage.
.....or the dogs or Broncos.

Although in all reality we obviously do have the upper hand with the old man as coach.This kid with approx 3 yrs less experience at the top level is light yrs ahead of Brooks.

I will b shocked if Brooks is with us beyond '19 !

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's a possibility that has a very good chance of happening,not meaning to down play the kids ability or bagging our current half but Cronk and JT would struggle playing behind our pack atm,Moses for instance was a disgrace for us this season but behind a dominant pack at Parra is playing well.
I don't believe parras pack is much better than ours.Its got a lot to do with attitude & accountability & respect the coach has.Taylor was a pathetic spineless infant who didn't command respect.Arthur on the other hand is a coach players will kill for.Its no surprise Nathan Brown is a gun under Arthur.

As much as I dislike Moses the person it's undeniable that the prick is a genuine footballer unlike the gump no.7 we r stuck with for the next 2 seasons !!

It's typical that out of Isaac the swindlers 4 puppets we are stuck with the only useless one !!!

Tigers are years behind us. Nathan would be a fool to leave. He also knows his daddy would still have him playing 20's

Clifferd

Coach
Tigers are years behind us. Nathan would be a fool to leave. He also knows his daddy would still have him playing 20's

Whilst probably true it isn't exactly an achievement since Penriths long term plan hasn't exactly worked (still a chance of missing the 8) whilst they should be cementing a top 4 spot around about now

Really wish we got Ivan earlier tho. There's every chance with the squad he's assembled next year fast forwards the rebuild atleast 2 years

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't think we will be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, Brookes has 2 years under IC (probably only needs 1) to see if he can improve, if he does, it will be a master stroke, if he can't then it will be, "I thought so". I think he will become acceptable.
As for NC, this is his first year isn't it? Next year will be tougher for him as well.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Lets just concentrate on 2018 and 2019 first..,

Ivan needs to win some games and get them near the Top 8..,

Another 2 years like this one and Ivan will be gone..

As far as Brooks goes... I would love nothing more to be proven wrong but I just don't think he has got it...

They should have only signed him for 2018

Tiger Ted

Bench
Lets just concentrate on 2018 and 2019 first..,

Ivan needs to win some games and get them near the Top 8..,

Another 2 years like this one and Ivan will be gone..

As far as Brooks goes... I would love nothing more to be proven wrong but I just don't think he has got it...

They should have only signed him for 2018
Based on 4 yrs of garbage it should've been obvious not to sign the imbecile.

In which other industry apart from public service do u get rewarded for abject ineptitude !!

Shredder

Juniors
From what Ive seen from Ivan so far, I doubt he would play the family card to bring Nathan across. He just seems to have too much integrity for that.

I dont think we are ev er going to be any more of a chance than any other club to sign NC when he comes off contract. I hope Im wrong, but Im not expecting to see him in our colours.

Vozzy

Juniors
I really believe they only gave Brooks a 2 year contract because he is yet to prove he is a regular first grader. Brooks will be on half the money some halves are getting next year.

They probably said to him "this is your team now you have 2 years to prove it and get us playing semi finals footy"

I also think they have a plan to lure Nathan Cleary if Brooks ain't up to it. Also they bought Tyson Gamble to atleast have insurance in the halves if Brooks fails.

Ivan is signed til the end of 2020 aswell so if the Brooks experiment fails in 2019 he has 1 last chance with someone else.

Tigerm

First Grade
I also think they have a plan to lure Nathan Cleary if Brooks ain't up to it. Also they bought Tyson Gamble to atleast have insurance in the halves if Brooks fails.

Ivan is signed til the end of 2020 aswell so if the Brooks experiment fails in 2019 he has 1 last chance with someone else.

Agree, but I think we need to define what "failure" is.

For me, not making the 8, means the whole team has failed.
I don't think you could blame one player for this.
But, as I have said before, I think every one will know by half way through next season, if he is up to it. Though he does have 2 years to get it right, maybe.