What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New look for forum.

Rich102

Staff member
The font for thread headings like "New Look for Forum" is not easy on the eyes.

Ahh, so easy to be a critic.

I think it would be great to have a like/dislike button for posts, similar to facebook. Someone posts something interesting or perceptive, can give it a like ditto someone writes garbage give them a dislike. Might stop some of the garbage conversations - where you feel compelled to reply to a crap post, but have to write something, which often starts pointless clutter, or an argument. Ditto a great post, nice to recognize, but writing a post saying 'great post' is really clutter, even though the props deserved.

Then there could be a sort function - so you can see the most liked (or disliked) posts of the day ...the former might show some really good stuff that you may otherwise miss.

I do appreciate the efforts for this forum too, its a goodie.

There is a like button at the bottom right hand corner. No dislike though, you have to do some writing fir that.
Haven't found the emoticons yet though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Worth mentioning it's still early days with a lot of the features. I know several issues raised in here the admin are already aware of, and are working on.

I'll drop in regularly enough to check out where it's all at and if you have any questions or issues you want looked at (functionality and/or look & feel), let me know.

TheDMC

Bench
Thanks Timmah.

In my line of work (communications) I have commissioned and overseen the development of quite a few websites so I will look through and give you some direct specific feedback on functionality etc. Will need to go through properly though.

Blair

Coach
Thanks for all the work with the upgrade. Once I get used to the changes then I'll be happy as.

I'm already loving the fact that you can upload images. Although maybe that was the case on the old forum, but it wasn't as clear cut.

Photos bring forums alive, you watch.

AuckMel

Bench
Haven't had a good look around but good to see an update. Great to have a like button and it saves your draft plus a watch thread option. Well done.

TooheysNew

Coach
Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't tell you how much Im thankful you're keeping it civil and constructive. To address a few points:

Mobile UI is much more loud and cluttered, definitely preferred the previous minimalistic look and feel
Yep - mobile is next priority. First priority was getting the massive number of posts across without breaking the universe. Definitely agree that mobile is ugly at the moment. It'll improve, I promise.

Definitely works better on the PC compared to the mobile, but in my opinion it's not an improvement over the previous UI in terms of look and feel.

Few things noticed on first glance:
- post counts and date joined next to everyone's avatars has disappeared.
- multi quote system seems to be gone
- I do like the idea of a 'like' system, not sure about points though. Both have the drawback of starting fresh so the forum veterans will start at zero despite their wealth of quality posts in the past.

Specifically on mobile
- mobile app is having trouble persisting my session, had to login again three times already today
- portrait view removes a lot of key info such as last updated thread and the full bread crumb links to get back to the parent page. Both come back if rotating to landscape, but that's not ideal at all.
- lots of wasted space, entire landing page has to be scrolled away to get to the posts
Thanks heaps mate - I much appreciate the constructive feedback. I've added each of these to my list and will address them as I work through it. Feel free to PM me if you notice anything specific - it gets a bit hard to chase through multiple threads to find feedback.

Don't like the colour scheme personally. The message colour and container colour are too similar. Unless I look close it just looks look like everything has been dumped on the page rather than a clear distinction between one message and the next.

Aside from that I have no real issue. I'll get used to it.
Agree for sure. The colours, specifically around the post area themselves, will change over the next few days. It's a work in progress, and I'm a one man team. Appreciate the feedback.

The font for thread headings like "New Look for Forum" is not easy on the eyes.

Ahh, so easy to be a critic.

I think it would be great to have a like/dislike button for posts, similar to facebook. Someone posts something interesting or perceptive, can give it a like ditto someone writes garbage give them a dislike. Might stop some of the garbage conversations - where you feel compelled to reply to a crap post, but have to write something, which often starts pointless clutter, or an argument. Ditto a great post, nice to recognize, but writing a post saying 'great post' is really clutter, even though the props deserved.

Then there could be a sort function - so you can see the most liked (or disliked) posts of the day ...the former might show some really good stuff that you may otherwise miss.

I do appreciate the efforts for this forum too, its a goodie.
Liked posts are already there, bottom right hand corner of each post. Dislike is a bit trickier, but I'll have a think about the best way to do something similar. Fonts are getting tidied as I work through things as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Meth

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't tell you how much Im thankful you're keeping it civil and constructive.

Good job Coby.

Its hard to keep everybody happy and people are averse to change. Personally, I don't know much about web design, so can't really be too constructive.

vvvrulz

Coach
Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't tell you how much Im thankful you're keeping it civil and constructive. To address a few points:

Yep - mobile is next priority. First priority was getting the massive number of posts across without breaking the universe. Definitely agree that mobile is ugly at the moment. It'll improve, I promise.

Thanks heaps mate - I much appreciate the constructive feedback. I've added each of these to my list and will address them as I work through it. Feel free to PM me if you notice anything specific - it gets a bit hard to chase through multiple threads to find feedback.

Agree for sure. The colours, specifically around the post area themselves, will change over the next few days. It's a work in progress, and I'm a one man team. Appreciate the feedback.

Liked posts are already there, bottom right hand corner of each post. Dislike is a bit trickier, but I'll have a think about the best way to do something similar. Fonts are getting tidied as I work through things as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey mate, great response and really impressed with the overall attitude.

I should stress that functionally everything is absolutely spot on and I was addressing only general look and feel issues. Being in software myself, I know how it is with a huge percentage of the work under the covers, and it can be frustrating to hear people booing about fonts etc.

Glad to hear you're taking feedback on board.

If I run into anything else I'll flick you a note via PM.

Rich102

Staff member
Am I missing something?
Didn't the old thread titles go a lighter shade when you had read the latest posts so that you knew if there were new posts in the thread?
Is there a quick way, other than reading the time stamp on the latest post, of knowing if there have been any posts since you last viewed the thread?

Timmah

Staff member
Yep - instead of read = regular and unread = bold, unread threads now display a green dot.

TheDMC

Bench
H Being in software myself, I know how it is with a huge percentage of the work under the covers, and it can be frustrating to hear people booing about fonts etc.

That's because programmers/software peps aren't graphic designers and more often than not have little idea about fonts or aesthetics in general...end of the day the user judges online platforms by look/feel as well as functionality. What happens under the covers is not their concern. Harden up. hahah.

vvvrulz

Coach
That's because programmers/software peps aren't graphic designers and more often than not have little idea about fonts or aesthetics in general...end of the day the user judges online platforms by look/feel as well as functionality. What happens under the covers is not their concern. Harden up. hahah.

Haha nah I totally agree, I've been on both sides on the fence so I sympathize either way.
Wasn't making excuses for anybody, it's just one of those realities.

TheDMC

Bench
This new platform sucks. I have posted for 5 years and am still a 'Junior' - meh!;)

vvvrulz

Coach
Yep - instead of read = regular and unread = bold, unread threads now display a green dot.

Which works fine, although every single unread thread in the forum is currently green dotted.
Probably better to default as blank and work from there.

Timmah

Staff member
Which works fine, although every single unread thread in the forum is currently green dotted.
Probably better to default as blank and work from there.
If you want to clear them all - just go top left of the forum and hover over the Forum menu, then choose mark forums read from the dropdown

Latest posts