What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand dominance of rugby league paving way for second Kiwi team in NRL

flippikat

Bench
wellingtonsharks.jpg

Nice.

I'm not fussy though - ANY team that makes a genuine commitment to move here, engage with the community, and provide a pathway for our juniors has my ear...

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Seriously, the dogs relocating lol we would be one of the last sides to do so, we had the second highest crowd average in the NRL this year and have consistently been up the top for a long time now, what a geniused idea.

Of course that's why I think it'll be good for the game and them because they'd still be making profit from a leagues club in Sydney, they'll still have the Bulldogs brand, popularity and sponsors. Plus they don't even play in Canterbury/Bankstown anymore. But the chances of it happening are beyond slim but I'd rather a healthy team relocate instead of losing teams, like what happened to the Bears and the Jets.

flamin

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ial-muscles-20110930-1l1cz.html#ixzz1ZTp9BwSx

THE Warriors are officially the most valuable team in the NRL, but it's not that long ago that NSW officials wanted them kicked out of the competition. With a separate New Zealand television deal worth more than $10 million per year, plus radio and sponsorship agreements, the Warriors are indirectly responsible for bringing in more revenue to the game than any other club. In contrast, the NRL television deals with Channel Nine and Fox Sports are valued at $500 million over six years or $83.3 million per year, which when divided by the 15 Australian clubs is worth $5.5 million each.

''I don't know the exact figures but I do know that in terms of one club versus the revenue divided by the 15 clubs here it is the most significant amount so it is important,'' Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said. ''We have got a great relationship with Sky [NZ] and they show all of our NYC {National Youth Competition] home games live and between three and six away games so that is great and gives us a bit of commercial viability around our juniors.''

The value the Warriors bring to the competition, including sponsors who want to be associated with the NRL because they gain reach in New Zealand as well as Australia, is one of the reasons the game's hierarchy rejected calls to axe the Auckland team when the previous owners hit financial trouble in 2000. In August 1998, the NSWRL boundaries committee, comprising five vice-presidents, produced a 12-page report recommending the Warriors be dumped from the competition to ensure the survival of Sydney clubs.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Perth and Wellington would be absolutely perfect I think. Then go either CC Bears and one Queensland teams or two Queensland teams as the next teams added. Between those two expansions, I'd look at merging a few sides or relocating.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In August 1998, the NSWRL boundaries committee, comprising five vice-presidents, produced a 12-page report recommending the Warriors be dumped from the competition to ensure the survival of Sydney clubs.:crazy:

Thank god they didn't get their way!

Iafeta

Referee
lol typical nepotism. The boards were riddled with ego driven agendas. No wonder so many things went pear shaped off the field in the late 90s.

magpie_man

Juniors
With a separate New Zealand television deal worth more than $10 million per year, plus radio and sponsorship agreements, the Warriors are indirectly responsible for bringing in more revenue to the game than any other club.

Minus the warriors club grant and an nrl administration fee of 20%, the rest of that $10 million should go back to the nzrl

RedVee

First Grade
Move the Sharks to Christchurch :D

Nice.

I'm not fussy though - ANY team that makes a genuine commitment to move here, engage with the community, and provide a pathway for our juniors has my ear...

Wellington sounds good, with or without it being the Sharks.
My Cronulla supporting mate, spent his first 20 years in Wellington, NZ and is in favour of that move (only if there is no chance of staying in Cronulla I stress). :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Minus the warriors club grant and an nrl administration fee of 20%, the rest of that $10 million should go back to the nzrl

Totally agree. Imagine how much good the NZRL could do with an extra guaranteed $5million a year to spend on developing the game! One of the things the IC should do is start talking to NZ TV to see what a Welllington team would be worth to the TV contract. If it is likely to fetch in more than $5mill a year on top of the current deal then they should instruct the NZRL to make it happen and the NRL underwrite them.

Squatdog

Juniors
Need to get a strong 12 national NZ RL comp up and running first

It's been tried before with the abortive Lion Red Cup, which was a complete disaster and resulted in the NZRL being forced to accept a bail out by the NRL to the tune of $5m.

The simple fact of the matter is that while a lot of people in New Zealand love the NRL, you couldn't PAY these same people to watch Otara play Mangere in a local competition.

Last edited:

smithie

Juniors
Need to get a strong 12 national NZ RL comp up and running first

The problem is once a decent player comes along they are quickly sent to NYC Warriors for the Toyota Cup, Auckland Vulcans for the NSW Cup or another club NRL club. A viable NZ competition will be difficult with out a major shake-up of the second tier competition(s).

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
The problem is once a decent player comes along they are quickly sent to NYC Warriors for the Toyota Cup, Auckland Vulcans for the NSW Cup or another club NRL club. A viable NZ competition will be difficult with out a major shake-up of the second tier competition(s).

This.

Any decent player from a domestic competition will either be head-hunted by an Australian NRL club or a UK Superleague club, or absorbed into one of the Warriors 3 grades.

Unless you're prepared to tip-in the sort of money that will make players stay in a NZ Championship, it will always be just a breeding ground for the 2 top league (NRL & Superleague).

This is not just a Rugby League problem. It's all through NZ sport.

The only thing that keeps NZ Rugby Union players in New Zealand is the rule from the NZRFU that it will only select the All Blacks from NZ-based players.

If that rule was changed, every single All Black would play their seasons in Europe for club sides there and make lots more money.

Basically, New Zealand produces some great talent in team sports, but the best way to keep that talent here (and inspire the next generation) is to have INTERNATIONAL top-tier club competitions, such as the NRL, Super Rugby, ANBL Basketball, & A-League Soccer

Why? Because the money flows are that much better than a single competition with audience of only 4 million Kiwis - plus it generates fan interest from the NZ v Australia perspective (as I said before, we Kiwis love supporting any NZ side up against the Aussies.. even if it's not out own province..)

Squatdog

Juniors
The whole thing is total pie-in-the-sky stuff, especially considering that the Warriors franchise came close to collapse on several occasions and the team has generally performed poorly apart from a handful of good seasons (2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2011).

Are the New Zealand Warriors going to revert to the Auckland Warriors if the Whales make their NRL debut?

beachedAz2.jpg

Spanner in the works

First Grade

Sounds like a job for the IC. This is the stuff that should be right up their alley.