What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights Signings/Re-signings thread

perverse

Referee
Carney would be a pretty good signing. lol @ the body build of our centre combo if we have him and Sau lining up.

bloody pocket battleships.

Whats Doing

Bench
Well I'll stand corrected.

Every game I saw him play which were a quite a few I sure he played in the centres.

The good thing is he can play centre and whilst not overly big, he is very quick which is just what we need in the centres at the moment.

Havent watched every Raiders game so I'll take ur guys word for it, but yeah him and Sau would certainly be the ultimate wrecking balls thats for sure.

Serc

First Grade
Yep yep all good...might have played in the centres a lot in NYC? Anyway wasn't doubting either of you when suggested he can play centre as well :)

Bicey_18

Bench
Beau Ryan would be worth a look at. With guys like Moltzen, McKinnon, Tuqiri, Tuiaki, Lawrence, Ayshford.. Ryan seems to be the odd man out and will struggle to find a spot in that backline. Definitely a capable replacement for Vuna. Also as mentioned somewhere in another topic, Justin Carney could be a top replacement for Doogs.

So the Backline in 2011 could look like this:

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Akuila Uate
3. Junior Sau
4. Justin Carney
5. Beau Ryan
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Beau Henry

If we can snare Luke O Donnell and an established prop, possibly a Jason Ryles who I think is off contract? We will look like a pretty decent team

8. Ben Cross
9. Isaac DeGois
10. Jason Ryles
11. Cory Paterson
12. Zeb Taia
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Matt Hilder
15. Richard Fa'aoso
16. Evarn Tuimavave
17. Mark Taufua

Johns Magic

Referee
Beau Ryan? No way.

We've proven time and time again that we can produce mediocrity from within. And at least that's cheap.

McManus and Ryan are the same calibre IMO, and to be honest I'd rate a fully fit McManus over Ryan.

We have Lulia and Wes for depth and no point on spending $150-$200k(overs but thats what we have to pay for any established firstgrader!) on the cap if we dont have too.

Have to admit lately I've really warmed to Lulia in the Centres.

Whats Doing

Bench
With our outside backs, apart from Uate, what we are really lacking is genuine pace.

We do not have the pace (except for Uate) to score long range tries which reduces our try scoring options.

We need this factor in mind when signing outside backs.

Noname36

First Grade
I don't think this one will be as bad as what everyone thinks. I can't imagine him being worse than what we already have, and who knows, maybe a change in club will do him the world of good. He might recapture a little form.

Whats Doing

Bench
He has been playing poor for Mackay Cutters. He is only a shadow of his 2007 form. If we sign him it must be on low coin.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Kauffusi is a handy signing at very short notice for you guys...

a change of clubs will be the tonic he needs.

Noname36

First Grade
Kauffusi is a handy signing at very short notice for you guys...

a change of clubs will be the tonic he needs.

I have to agree. And let's face it, he hasn't been the only player that's gone to the Cowboys and has played uninspiring footy.

Last edited:

Bicey_18

Bench
Considering whats out there.. Kaufusi will be a great pick up! Former international and most importantly, a front rower

Serc

First Grade
While Kaufusi has been terrible of late, this is the sort of one year on-the-cheap signing you'd expect when you desperately need to bolster your prop depth. He could be a complete waste of time, or a reasonable choice (you'd think unlikely to be a masterstroke)