What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Total employment in NSW Greyhound industry is 1561.

That's 1086 directly employed and 475 indirectly employed.

Average attendance at tracks 114.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/c...2643/0380 Greyhound Racing NSW and Others.pdf

Turnover on greyhound racing through the NSW TAB totals almost 20 percent from the three racing codes.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/124550/Loss-of-greyhound-money-no-concern-to-Racing-NSW

I think it's pretty clear where the bulk of the revenue goes to on the back of the NSW Greyhound Industry. TAB and bookies don't give a crap because punters will bet on the dogs in other states and if/when they are closed down they will bet on something else.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Total employment in NSW Greyhound industry is 1561.

That's 1086 directly employed and 475 indirectly employed.

Average attendance at tracks 114.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/DBAssets/InquirySubmission/Summary/42643/0380 Greyhound Racing NSW and Others.pdf

Turnover on greyhound racing through the NSW TAB totals almost 20 percent from the three racing codes.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/124550/Loss-of-greyhound-money-no-concern-to-Racing-NSW

I think it's pretty clear where the bulk of the revenue goes to on the back of the NSW Greyhound Industry. TAB and bookies don't give a crap because punters will bet on the dogs in other states and if/when they are closed down they will bet on something else.

Firstly those 1500 people don't turn over the hundreds of millions of dollars, there are other people like the greyhound food suppliers, the contractors who maintain the tracks and training facilities, the onsite bookies and many more satellite industries. I dont think that 1500 people would be even 10% of the total people affected.

And the collateral damage ?

Families and generations of people who are innocent and now unemployed and not qualified to do anything else ? They have to sell up and move or rely on Centrelink

All because Baird watched a 4C program about greyhound racing in Queensland

Gronk

Staff member
Greyhound.jpg

Kornstar

Coach
So how many deaths in an industry does it take to get it banned? There is obviously an acceptable amount of animal deaths for an industry?

Gronk

Staff member
The "innocent people" should have not turned a blind eye to this. This has been going on for decades.

From the UK
Last week, a Co Durham builders' merchant, David Smith, was exposed running a dog killing business, allegedly shooting the animals through the head before being pictured burying them in his back garden. Over the past 15 years Smith is believed to have ended the lives of around 10,000 greyhounds in such a way.
http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/844212.greyhound_cull_condemned/

From Tasmania
The documents show on one day 33 greyhound deaths were recorded in the Launceston area. Between January 1 and June 9 this year 241 dogs died. The reasons for “other” causes of deaths included possible snake bites, natural causes, one dog being hit by a faulty lure at the North West Greyhound Racing Club and a retired greyhound shot accidentally while hunting.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/1533b829172a83660ef91e36e0dff904

From Hunter Valley NSW
Fairfax Media revealed on Wednesday that the report by leading barrister Clive Steirn, SC, found it was probable that at least 99 greyhounds were killed and buried in a mass grave because they were "underperforming" and "therefore of no further use".

It found it was "highly probable" that most of the dogs were killed between 2009 and 2013 with a blow to the head, from either a gunshot or a blunt instrument.

The full report has yet to be released. But according to a Greyhound Racing NSW statement, it "identified that burial patterns indicated that 60 per cent of the dogs were buried in groups of two, three or four dogs all with major skull trauma and this occurred on a minimum of 11 occasions."
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mass-grav...yhounds-killed-in-groups-20160720-gq9qa3.html

From QLD
A licensed greyhound trainer is one of two people charged after 55 greyhound carcasses were discovered near Bundaberg, north of Brisbane.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e/news-story/39ab9fa160f4bdaf266763109a54556e

Gronk

Staff member
So how many deaths in an industry does it take to get it banned? There is obviously an acceptable amount of animal deaths for an industry?

I'd say the "greyhound death by blow to the head with blunt instrument" toleration point is pretty low.

Kornstar

Coach
I'd say the "greyhound death by blow to the head with blunt instrument" toleration point is pretty low.

I'm all for them banning it but I also think they should ban horse racing too. Not cause I'm a lefty or greeny, I just don't get why we need to race animals, I laugh on the BSB when the horse trainings act like horses love to race.

I would be equally happy if they banned us all eating meat too if anyone wants to talk about hypocrisy about eating meat and wanted these things banned. I'm not that attached to meat anyways.

ash411

Bench
I would be equally happy if they banned us all eating meat too if anyone wants to talk about hypocrisy about eating meat and wanted these things banned. I'm not that attached to meat anyways.
I can't imagine anyone trying to equate killing animals for food to killing an animal because it doesn't run fast enough, and isn't good for people to have a punt on. And if they do, it's a dumb argument and they should know that.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm all for them banning it but I also think they should ban horse racing too. Not cause I'm a lefty or greeny, I just don't get why we need to race animals, I laugh on the BSB when the horse trainings act like horses love to race.

They banned the jumps didn't they ? So normal horse racing is on notice.

Kornstar

Coach
I can't imagine anyone trying to equate killing animals for food to killing an animal because it doesn't run fast enough, and isn't good for people to have a punt on. And if they do, it's a dumb argument and they should know that.

People are dumb though......

steady on there. You know bacon is meant right? how can you live without bacon?

Sure do, i could live without it.

They banned the jumps didn't they ? So normal horse racing is on notice.

Well they have said its next but they won't win that one, too many powerful people have interest in it for them to win that one.

oldmancraigy

Coach
source ?

Living in a rural area I got a few mates in the industry and they paint a totally different picture
That's a shock.

The guys in the industry telling you it is all sweet and legit?
They haven't banned it just for fun. It's not just the live baiting issue either - the industry was given the chance to reform, didn't, and is being closed down.

This is not unique to Australia either - there are very few countries in the world with greyhound racing - some places allow it 'for fun', with gambling on it banned, others have done what NSW just did, banned it.

ash411

Bench
That's a shock.

The guys in the industry telling you it is all sweet and legit?
They haven't banned it just for fun. It's not just the live baiting issue either - the industry was given the chance to reform, didn't, and is being closed down.

This is not unique to Australia either - there are very few countries in the world with greyhound racing - some places allow it 'for fun', with gambling on it banned, others have done what NSW just did, banned it.
I wonder how long the industry would last if gambling on it were banned...

About 5 minutes I reckon.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

lol mate they are bred to race, it's what they were born to do.

Latest posts