What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL issue concussion breach notices - huge fines

Frailty

First Grade
Player lays motionless for 30 seconds on the ground he needs to go off. How this is even a question is ridiculous. If he was hit, he clearly needs to be assessed, and if he is faking the team shouldn't be rewarded for him feigning a concussion. We already encouraged players to stay down to get Video ref to review tackles, and now we are going to give players another reason to stay down to stop play when momentum is swinging against them?

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair enough if that's the criteria.

My main issue is with commentators with an axe to grind saying someone is "clearly concussed" based on what they saw on TV, and the NRL seemingly reacting based on how influential said commentator is.

All too often with the NRL it seems like image is the most important concern.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think you're probably lending too much weight to the opinion of commentators

Their own referees aren't protecting players from concussion because they're ignoring the rules of the sport. Nothing done about that.

And who is judging these incidents and what is the process? They take months to investigate some things and 24 hours to come up with this. Did the clubs get to defend themselves? What evidence was collected? Which individual or group made the judgement that there were breaches and these fines are appropriate?

adamkungl

Immortal
I think you're probably lending too much weight to the opinion of commentators

I lend very little weight to the opinion of bandana wearing f**kwits. I suspect Todd Greenberg has lent quite a lot of weight to it though.

TheDMC

Bench
Well the question is whether he has a sore face or was knocked out.

Players stay down for non concussion injuries all the time. I've been bashed in the head before and it f**king hurt, without being dazed or anything of the sort.

How is everyone watching footy on TV suddenly a medical expert?

Furthermore opposition coaches/captains have no place demanding players should be taken off for assessment. the rule is there for player safety not for gamesmanship.

Don't think you need to be a medical expert to tell Dugan had a headknock and was dazed. The guy was motionless on ground for a good few seconds.

Unless that is his natural zen like reaction to a painful non-head related injury...

adamkungl

Immortal
Don't think you need to be a medical expert to tell Dugan had a headknock and was dazed. The guy was motionless on ground for a good few seconds.

Unless that is his natural zen like reaction to a painful non-head related injury...

Like I said, if Dugan had to go off for every time he had a lie down he'd have played about a third of the football he has..

TheDMC

Bench
I assume the fine is because proper process wasn't followed.

Not because someone thought a player looked concussed on TV.

I'm sure what we can see on tv is quite relevant to the process - ie clearly visible physical signs of concussion (not moving/unconcious or walking around on jelly legs). A tick for either of those I have no doubt HIA will be (or should be) triggered. If neither of those signs immediately apparent, then they to do more close up inspection via questioning and looking for not so easily visible physical signs.

Cant be that complicated.

Iafeta

Referee
Re Elliot. Hunt hits him flush in the head thus knocking him out and concussing him. The Knights take him off and reshuffle the team. This is what the NRL would prefer to happen?
The Knights lose their fullback and Hunt is able to play the remainder of the game. Seems a fair result.

Hunt should have been ordered off. Unquestionably that was a horrific refereeing error. Amazingly he didn't even get a harsh talking to from the refs. They just signalled on report and he went on his merry way.

Knight76

Juniors
I assume the fine is because proper process wasn't followed.

Not because someone thought a player looked concussed on TV.

My issue with this is how the NRL handled it. Fitzdickbrain gets all up in arms in the media and next day we have the NRL jumping to action to show how tough they are.

They have their media release out naming the clubs fined, I don't recall any mention in the media release that the clubs had any right to reply or defend themselves.

But of course they do, and will.

The NRL should have quietly sent a please explain to the clubs involved and I don't know, actually done some investigating of what happened prior to issuing fines.

All this is, is a knee jerk reaction to a media jerk reaction. What about all the others this season that have been down, clearly affected by the tackle and let play on!

big hit!

Bench
hypocritical in the extreme when the NRL don't direct refs to bin or send off most players for high shots which cause half these concussions.

This BS requirement of intent is just that. Reckless tackles need to be punished.

Canard

Immortal
They have their media release out naming the clubs fined, I don't recall any mention in the media release that the clubs had any right to reply or defend themselves.

The NRL.com article clearly mentioned the clubs have the right of reply.

RufusRex

Post Whore
the dugan one is obvious .. NRL concussion HIA policy I think states that if a bloke falls to the ground and takes no evasive action to stop the fall ie hands out etc then its a mandatory HIA .. doesn't matter that a trainer clears him .. he was hit in the chin and then hit the ground without trying to brace for impact. that's black and white.

jc155776

Coach
It wasn't just because of an article for f**k sake. Fans blew up Twitter and forums etc who could see Dugan and the others were f**ked and didn't go off.

After all the recent science showing how dangerous playing on with head knocks are fans appreciate the dangers players are put in for entertainment.

You think trainers really care about player welfare above winning? Look at the Inglis situation for example. Trainer saying yeah play on because winning is more important. Trainers get sacked if teams lose.

Frankly the referee should have the ability to order a player from the field of play should they be injured when defending and play has to be stopped. Will stop teams taking an advantage. Again, I don't think for a minute Dugan was laying down to slow up the play, he had suffered a head knock and was hurt. Replays showed a blow to the head. Rules are you go off and let the independent doctor look at you. Not have a trainer say 'you're sweet f**k the doctor play on'.

shaggs

Coach
The video ref should tip off the pocket ref about a head injury. He can then order the player off