What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL strategic plan 2018-2022 as it relates to expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there a link to the strategic plan?

2013 I sat in a room where grant told us that there would be no nrl expansion until at least 2018 but that they had a plan to expand the second tier and included a perth team as a stepping stone. I’m getting a strange sense of déjà vue!

Reactions: siv
The only mildly plausible way of having a country team would be to base it on the Central Coast and play about 6-8 games there and then take the other 4-6 games to Wagga, Port Mac, Tamworth, Mudgee etc.

But it still won't ever happen. Even a second tier team would be fairly pointless and not interest too many people.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m struggling to see how anyone can afford a second tier club unless there is an nrl club or pokie den LC paying for it? Png exists due to massive govt funding. Is there any club in Q’land or nsw cups that is funded independently without a LC or nrl club investment?

I’ve heard it costs around $3-5mill a year to run a club at that level, where is that income going to come from? If it was a def stepping stone to nrl you might get investors in short term but no one is going to put that sort of money in based on the hope that they may get promoted to nrl, especially given nrl’s track record on expansion.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
As someone who was born in NSW, played league in Sydney and Melbourne, and have travelled to multiple cities and country regions for work; I am all for expansion.

I absolutely agree that WA needs a team and it needs to start the process now with regards to recruitment and of coaching staff and players. The Titans did it well before they were brought in and they started off reasonably well (the team not the admin). The difference is that they had the lead up time. They knew they were getting a licence and could start the planning phase well in advance. The same needs to happen for WA or any other bid hoping to achieve inclusion. If it means recruiting fringe ISP and ISC players to fill the team in a state comp to get themself off the ground and be a look in for inclusion the so be it. There has been a lot of talk from bids saying that they'll do whatever it takes, now is the time to prove it.

I believe a second NZ team based in Christchurch/Wellington is also a feasible idea and would establish a second method of entry for NZ talent to enter the NRL (same could be said for WA with developing local talent there). Yes it would take some years to start seeing the fruits of it all (looking at Melbourne development having 3 players progress into the top flight) but it's a start. Believe it of not, the NRL Vic is actually fairly strong/competitive in it's own right and already have rep teams competing in NSW/QLD. To say there will be a dilution of talent is not entirely correct for the long term. Having a couple of extra teams would also possibly see some of the NRL talent that has been lost to Super League (UK) would see some players return to our shores with the ability to get a new contract in the NRL. Players in the UK also WANT to be a part of the world's premier Rugby League competition, just look at the likes of the Burgess boys, James Graham, Josh Hodgeson just to name a few.

Extra teams, regardless of where they are based, can also open pathways for more international players from the Pacific Islands and other countries to play in the NRL.

The NRL is on the right path but it needs to be more bold and put the wheels in motion now or risk being completely left behind. Other competitions have done it with mixed results but as the saying goes "The biggest risk is not taking any risk... In a world that is changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks".

Is there a link to the strategic plan?

2013 I sat in a room where grant told us that there would be no nrl expansion until at least 2018 but that they had a plan to expand the second tier and included a perth team as a stepping stone. I’m getting a strange sense of déjà vue!

They never pushed it publicly like this though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They never pushed it publicly like this though.

Yes they did. When they decided in 2013 that there would be no NRL expansion for the life of the next TV deal they publicly stated numerous times that "expansion isn't just about the top tier" and talked about the second tier being a pathway and opportunity for new areas. Richardson got paid a lot of money to work out a plan for it. Then nothing was actioned or done other than PNG finally being allowed back into Qland cup.

Just one example of the many public on the record articles on it:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...oesnt-involve-more-teams-20151012-gk700a.html

Yes they did. When they decided in 2013 that there would be no NRL expansion for the life of the next TV deal they publicly stated numerous times that "expansion isn't just about the top tier" and talked about the second tier being a pathway and opportunity for new areas. Richardson got paid a lot of money to work out a plan for it. Then nothing was actioned or done other than PNG finally being allowed back into Qland cup.

Just one example of the many public on the record articles on it:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...oesnt-involve-more-teams-20151012-gk700a.html

Fair enough, but still a different step putting in a public strategic plan. Particularly naming possible places for a team. There’s definitely more positive talk this time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair enough, but still a different step putting in a public strategic plan. Particularly naming possible places for a team. There’s definitely more positive talk this time.

From the 2015 article, sound familiar?

to recommend that new franchises will be introduced in an expanded 14-team NSW Cup from regional and rural areas, as well as Fiji and New Zealand.
"For example, there could be a couple of teams in the bush, where we want to encourage our young men and young women to stay at home for longer, and regional sides from New Zealand or the Pacific Islands.
Some of the work 'Richo' is doing in his blueprint around the second tier and around the regions will I think see a significant shift in terms of the broader footprint," Smith said.Albury, Coffs Harbour and Tamworth are among the areas that have been mentioned as possible locations for future NSW Cup franchises, while a Fiji bid team involving Petero Civoniceva is aiming for inclusion in 2017.
When I see a plan that shows HOW and WHEN they will do this I'll believe it is more than the rhetoric we've been hearing for last 5 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The devils in the detail!

From the presser:

Perth, Ipswich, NSW Country and New Zealand are specifically mentioned in the document as areas which could host State Cup teams as a step to the NRL, while Beattie told reporters that Redcliffe and Cairns were other options.

There is also scope for overseas teams - Papua New Guinea and Fiji - to stake their claims.

Nothing concrete at all in the press announcement yesterday, a day later the strat plan still isn't available for public access that I can find.

From the 2015 article, sound familiar?

When I see a plan that shows HOW and WHEN they will do this I'll believe it is more than the rhetoric we've been hearing for last 5 years.

Did they ever package it up in a publicly released plan though?

You don’t usually get an organisation sticking their neck out like this unless they’re getting closer to the end game. Obviously we need more info to be certain, but it’s still better signs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, lets hope so. Far too many false dawns in this space for the game. I still struggle to see how WA would afford it though I have to say. Raising enough revenue at a second tier level in any sport is very hard in this country.

Our SG Ball experience has shown us there is a massive gulf between what you can achieve at grass roots in RL if you don't have a LC backing you. With no NRL club link up either its hard to see how we would be competitive with a second tier club, and seeing a NSW cup Pirates get flogged every week isn't exactly conducive to growing the game here.

flippikat

Bench
A team named “Brisbane United” or a QRL owned team

Yep. The key is making the team a marked contrast to the Broncos.. ownership, logo, colours.. you name it.

The best sports rivalries are when you have different team cultures - Barcelona v Real Madrid, LA Lakers v Boston Celtics, Melbourne v Sydney (any Australian sport) or Canterbury v Auckland (Any NZ sport).

taipan

Referee
Beattie is at least consistent again and againwith the expansion push and quite vocal about it, saying it's a must.The others before ,made the odd indication, but just let it slide.Smith went the closest,Gallop was too busy bending over to his New's masters.Beattie knows the impact AFL is having in terms of expansion, and securing national companies to sponsor it.

No rash promises have been made eg 1m playing the game.

The hows have to be spelt out. that's a givenThe whens IMO would be decided in 2020 latest ,so as to provide time for a 2023 NRL entry.
ITM lower tier clubs need introduction from 2019 -2020.

Notice no mention of the Brisbane Bombers,which I suggests puts the kibosh under them.
And he is pushing heavily grassroots development.

About time we had someone who was out and proud LOL about the code, bit like Vald with the AFL.

I'm sick to the balls, of wimpish comments by past leaders of our code.

jim_57

Staff member
"NSW Country" is so vague and covers a lot of territory. If a team from Bathurt, Wagga or Dubbo set up in NSW Cup then great, but bunching a whole state bar the Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong corridor is a sound bite.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I could be wrong, but I don't think that they necessarily mean that there could be a team from country NSW in the state cups, so much as they mean there could be country NSW teams in the state cups...

I also doubt that they intend to add a Country NSW club to the NRL, and if they do intend to add one club represent county NSW to either or both comps then they'll soon change their minds as they realise all the problems that such a club would face (namely where would it be based, where would it play games, which teams would feed into it, etc).
Though in saying that you might be able to get away with a handful of country NSW sides in the NSW cup though, such as North NSW, South NSW, etc, etc or more realistically regional areas such Southern Tablelands, Riverina, South Coast, North Coast, etc, etc.

BTW, I see no reason why in theory places like Canberra/Queanbeyan, Newcastle, Dubbo, Coffs, Wagga, Tamworth, Bathurst, Albury, etc, maybe even some smaller places that are really strong RL towns, couldn't support Nsw cup sides if the competition was structured in a way that it could support that number of teams of outside of Sydney (which would probably mean conferences, and a reduction in NRL clubs participation in the comp) and they could find the funds to support the club, you'd have to be willing to let some fail though...

Diesel

Referee
Beattie is at least consistent again and againwith the expansion push and quite vocal about it, saying it's a must.The others before ,made the odd indication, but just let it slide.Smith went the closest,Gallop was too busy bending over to his New's masters.Beattie knows the impact AFL is having in terms of expansion, and securing national companies to sponsor it.

No rash promises have been made eg 1m playing the game.

The hows have to be spelt out. that's a givenThe whens IMO would be decided in 2020 latest ,so as to provide time for a 2023 NRL entry.
ITM lower tier clubs need introduction from 2019 -2020.

Notice no mention of the Brisbane Bombers,which I suggests puts the kibosh under them.
And he is pushing heavily grassroots development.

About time we had someone who was out and proud LOL about the code, bit like Vald with the AFL.

I'm sick to the balls, of wimpish comments by past leaders of our code.
Livermore, CEO of the Bombers quit last week, perhaps he was informed in advance?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Livermore, CEO of the Bombers quit last week, perhaps he was informed in advance?

I was thinking the same, seems a coincidence! No way Bombers want to field a Q’land cup team with no guarantee of that investment reaping an nrl place and can’t blame them for that. Same as in WA, our millionaire backers aren’t going to throw money at a second tier club unless they have a guarantee that investment is going to see a nrl club in the not too distant future.

JD359

Juniors
I don't know why a 'Country NSW' team couldn't play out of Dubbo, Orange, Bathurst & Mudgee. Not sure how many games would be included in the draw as far as 'home' games go. But surely they could rotate the games between those 4 venues. As s'one who lives in the area I would happily travel to the furthest towns to see regular State Cup games. It'll never happen because it would actually work with the grounds filling up to watch good quality RL games, & God forbid the NRL should see any benefit in that for the fans, the players & the game itself

MugaB

Coach
I agree, confused about the inclusion of NSW country. Not even sure if it’s needed at a state cup level? It’s be better to have teams in specific country spots.

Better yet every Sydney team should take responsibility to a certain country area, like the panthers have done with Bathurst.

Ideally I’d like the next round of expansion to include Perth, Brisbane & NZ. But 3 into 2 doesn’t go.

It will if Manly and Sydney merge too be Eastern Suburbs

Personally i love having multiple sydney teams, but some are geographically stunted in regards to junior development, roosters are a Club that has money but needs juniors, manly have them but need money and a better ground, besides they failed on being a merged entity, and roosters never got pushed too, this time its their turn

PNG should be entered, Norths on the Central Coast, Perth Reds again, and move the Sharks to Adelaide,
Add in Redcliffe Dolphins, and West Qld jets this would truely make a national game
And I agree with the country venues being a sydney teams responsibility, they all could follow penriths lead but play 2 home games in regional areas