What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC scrapped!!

siv

First Grade
There is absolutely no way any club will let FG bench players play RG before a FG match. None

Yes, youre right that U20s would supply some of those 60+ players but to suggest that a RG side would be 11-13 U20s players is blowing it out a bit. At best it would be 50/50 meaning 30 Qld Cup players, the best 30 players mind you, would be ripped from the comp

If that doesnt have a big impact on the quality of that competition then Im not here

Maybe a impact 12 months but things will settle when the next year of juniors come through

Plus you will reduce the nimber of players leaving RL when they turn 21

Joker's Wild

Coach
Maybe a impact 12 months but things will settle when the next year of juniors come through

Plus you will reduce the nimber of players leaving RL when they turn 21

12 months? lol You are kidding yourself. Doesnt matter how long or short the time frame, you are still talking about taking the cream of the crop out of the Qld and NSW Cup every year

Got any numbers on exactly how many U21 players "leaving RL" each year? What a load of crap

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
If the 21 year olds were any good they would have already played some NSW cup and would be at least pushing for a spot in the NSW cup team.

kbw

Bench
A lack of intelligence has never stopped any American athlete from attending college...

True, but its stopped alot from graduating.
You would be surprised what they have do to get through their course and be allowed to play, especially in the elite colleges.
A lot of RL players don't even complete HS, look at Matto for example for what a joke a sports school is

The reason they can do this though is because of the size of the population.

The Partisan

Has there been any further news on this issue ?

Beginning to wonder if the RL experience in the near future will look like ? In NSW i can see the possibility of NRL, NSW Cup and 'NSW U/20's playing on the same bill - not sure if same will happen in Qld.

The current Broncos, Titans, Cowboys 20's would most likely be disbursed back to 20's for the existing Qld Cup teams - and play with the Qld Cup seniors only.

Titans v Penrith at Cbus with curtain raisers of Burleigh Bears v Townsville Blackhawks would not help the Burleigh clubs coffers.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Has there been any further news on this issue ?

Beginning to wonder if the RL experience in the near future will look like ? In NSW i can see the possibility of NRL, NSW Cup and 'NSW U/20's playing on the same bill - not sure if same will happen in Qld.

The current Broncos, Titans, Cowboys 20's would most likely be disbursed back to 20's for the existing Qld Cup teams - and play with the Qld Cup seniors only.

Titans v Penrith at Cbus with curtain raisers of Burleigh Bears v Townsville Blackhawks would not help the Burleigh clubs coffers.

I have only followed the game since 2008-09 (for the NRL anyway) so have only known the NYC. I know the pathway in NSW had Harold Matts, SG ball and Jersey flegg before NYC but what was the pathway in Queensland?

I know they have statewide U16 & U18 now but what was the next step pre-NYC up north?

Going forward could we see both states go back to something like the NSW pathway of a decade ago? i.e state-wide U16, U18, U20 feeding into senior NSW/QLD cup sides.

Will be very interesting the next year or so, i get the feeling the NRL will head towards a rookie draft for 18 year olds with clubs able to make limited pre-selections of players in their districts, maybe 3 per NRL club. For that to work i think they would just be feeding straight into NSW/QLD cup senior sides, with minor U21 colts competitions in both states to capture undrafted players and maintain a second pathway

siv

First Grade
So Bennett again says NYC should be scrapped to save NRL clubs $1 mil each

junior fan

Juniors
The under-20s competition is set to be scrapped at the end of next season
THE under-20s National Youth League Holden Cup competition could be scrapped at the end of next season with it’s future to be discussed at a meeting of club chief executives next week.

The financial stress and weekly logistic strain on clubs, coupled with what value it is worth to Holden Cup broadcaster Fox Sports ahead of a new TV broadcast deal in 2017 has created serious discussion among NRL powerbrokers that the 20s competition is on borrowed time.

All 16 NRL chief executives will meet on Thursday at Sydney Olympic Park where the agenda will be led by NRL chief executive Dave Smith.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-of-next-season/story-fni3fbgz-1227386146529

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The under-20s competition is set to be scrapped at the end of next season
THE under-20s National Youth League Holden Cup competition could be scrapped at the end of next season with it?s future to be discussed at a meeting of club chief executives next week.

The financial stress and weekly logistic strain on clubs, coupled with what value it is worth to Holden Cup broadcaster Fox Sports ahead of a new TV broadcast deal in 2017 has created serious discussion among NRL powerbrokers that the 20s competition is on borrowed time.

All 16 NRL chief executives will meet on Thursday at Sydney Olympic Park where the agenda will be led by NRL chief executive Dave Smith.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-of-next-season/story-fni3fbgz-1227386146529

I agree with the principal of scrapping it as it is, but the clubs do love a good whinge. Now its costing them too much! How did they cope before the current TV deal when the grant did not exceed the cap??

As alternatives i think its obvious we will go back to state colts cups as the pinncale under age tournaments. My only concern is how will the NZ pathway look in the future? It would be good for the game in NZ if the focus was on the domestic competition below the NRL warriors. Currently it goes U15, U17, NPC. Would a NPC colts competition have sufficient players to draw from and grassroots would obviously need a central funding boost to enable this. Alternatively the warriors NYC remain as they are but are fielded in say a revived Jersey flegg cup.

I also would not rule out some sort of national under 20/21 championship. Maybe a knock out tournament to find a champion with the final on NRL GF day. Would have to include a warriors underage side and potentially a second side if say Wellington get an NRL side at some point. Then finish the season with junior origin- obviously NSW v QLD but also a Pacific origin series including- Maori, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG etc..... and a Australia V New zealand home and away wouldnt be a bad idea either.

siv

First Grade
Its not a issue in QLD or NZ as NRL clubs are not district clubs

But in NSW all NRL clubs are district based clubs

So would Wyong run a Easts U20s team ?

Or even Newtown run a Cronulla U20s team

I think we will see NSW NRL Clubs revert back to their club colours and names if this occurs

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Its not a issue in QLD or NZ as NRL clubs are not district clubs

But in NSW all NRL clubs are district based clubs

So would Wyong run a Easts U20s team ?

Or even Newtown run a Cronulla U20s team

I think we will see NSW NRL Clubs revert back to their club colours and names if this occurs

True and probably a neccessary sadly. Would we see Newtown and North sydney field sides in the RMC then?

In my mind a revived Jersey flegg would consist of:
Newcastle, Canberra, Dragons, Penrith, Parra, Canterbury, Wests Tigers, Cronulla, Souths, Manly, Easts/Central coast

Would have to slot Melbourne in there to assuming common sense prevails and they base their pathway in NSW competitions.

The whole pathways structure is still dependant on the review being undertaken currently by Richo, so he could blow the whole thing open by recommending a rookie draft.

half_back

Juniors
True and probably a neccessary sadly. Would we see Newtown and North sydney field sides in the RMC then?

In my mind a revived Jersey flegg would consist of:
Newcastle, Canberra, Dragons, Penrith, Parra, Canterbury, Wests Tigers, Cronulla, Souths, Manly, Easts/Central coast

Would have to slot Melbourne in there to assuming common sense prevails and they base their pathway in NSW competitions.

The whole pathways structure is still dependant on the review being undertaken currently by Richo, so he could blow the whole thing open by recommending a rookie draft.

I'm intrigued to how a revised u20s would look. Bennet's simplistic comment to scrap 20s and save 1million is ludicrous. Even if it becomes a state based comp it will still require coaches and medical staff most of whom are part time at present. You would still have to contract players and the current salary cap of $250k is hardly excessive. Yes you would do away with interstate travel but I can't see that being that huge expense especially for the sydney based teams who would only have around 4-5 flights I'd imagine in a season. Players would still be part time and train 5 times a week so no change there. I think there are a number of advantages to the NYC despite the issues, and I can't see how scrapping it will help the clubs realise the massive windfall they are looking for.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I'm intrigued to how a revised u20s would look. Bennet's simplistic comment to scrap 20s and save 1million is ludicrous. Even if it becomes a state based comp it will still require coaches and medical staff most of whom are part time at present. You would still have to contract players and the current salary cap of $250k is hardly excessive. Yes you would do away with interstate travel but I can't see that being that huge expense especially for the sydney based teams who would only have around 4-5 flights I'd imagine in a season. Players would still be part time and train 5 times a week so no change there. I think there are a number of advantages to the NYC despite the issues, and I can't see how scrapping it will help the clubs realise the massive windfall they are looking for.

Yes regardless of opinions on the NYC itself, the whole thing stinks of whinging clubs trying to find faults to move their agenda along

siv

First Grade
Would be a lot easier if we had RG and U20s at NRL level

And then NSW Cup and QLD Cup could operate underneath that

Diesel

Referee
I read Bennets comments as if clubs are unhappy with the U20's scrap it and they'll save $1m, which is what the NRL gives them for the comp as they won't getting the funding anymore. It was tongue in cheek to shut up the Sydney power brokers that are upset with they way the NRL is being run. The clubs are upset & scared of change because the commission is taking away their power and influence they once had.

Having said that, a revamp for all NRL clubs to have teams in QLD/NSW Cup isn't a bad thing, I wouldbe be surprised to see SG Ball expand as well as an under 23's in the future.

Canard

Immortal
My concern is that U20s has offered a genuine high profile pathway for young players and has all but killed off junior Union and AFL (in the League states).

I think getting rid of it will give a massive free kick to these codes.

MarkC

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tional-youth-competition-20150804-girg4q.html

It think this is a step in the right direction, but the U20's season is probably too short.

"It's understood one idea he is considering is a truncated NYC tournament which would run parallel with the Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions along state-based lines.
Those competitions currently run from mid-February to early May, although that period includes a finals series and a grand final."

That is fair enough, but I would call that the NSWU20 or QLDU20 comp,
The warriors could chose to play NSWU20 or QLDU20.

At the conclusions of the NSWU20, QLDU20 and junior reps, we should have a 2 week break with the NYC comp in kicking off in around the start of June.

The NYC could be a 12 round comp with finals ETC in sync with the NRL.

NSW Cup or QLD cup would be the main lead up games for the NRL but clubs could chose to feature NYC if they wanted to.

Some sort of sensible compromise like this is possible and a short NYC season makes sense.

Money is not an issue with the new TV rights offer.

With making NSW cup the main lead up game for the NRL for at least 1/2 the season, that gives players a better pathway to the NRL and is a more sensible arrangement full stop.

A bit less TV exposure for the young players will help keep their ego's in check.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For junior Pathways, id rather see the NRL club brands totally removed (make exclusively NRL level), and all of the lower grade clubs given independent identities (as the QRL do now)...

I also think the State Championship (good name, stick with it) should be expanded into regional areas and towns that wound never have NRL teams; divide states into 2/3 conferences to keep travel costs down and combine it nationally for the finals series. We could have teams in rural NSW/QLD, Suburban Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth and all across NZ.

I know the Sydney/Brisbane teams ould dominate and some of these smaller clubs could be mostly amateur and get smashed against these city teams, but even just the prestige of a local team from Wagga/Nowra/etc competing in this National competition would be fantastic.

MarkC

Juniors
From the comments above I now think the NYC could be a national seeded knock out competition run as I said earlier at the end of the NSWU20 & QLDU20 comps.

The seedings would also ensure teams play in their home states in the early rounds to save money.

That would accommodate the desire to have regional and rural sides mixing it with the city sides and eliminate the need for NRL branding.

I think you would also get upsets with the odd U20's side from say Wagga or Mt Isa knocking off a big city team.... this is more likely at U20's level where defense is often an after thought and play can be erratic.

More importantly it is also exposure for those country kids who don't want to move to the city at a young age.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I just dont think that would work with an under 20s limit...

At that age, most kids still havent fully developed and with all of the biggest, talented prospects filtering into the city teams, looking for an NRL start, the country kids would just be the "leftovers".

On the otehr hand, an open age comp would have all of the "almost-made-it"s and some past players that have filtered back into country areas. And even the players with zero talent, at that age would at least be able to stand the impacts.

Latest posts