What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season Fox League Report Card

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No it doesn't. They know that the overwhelming majority of subscribers are subscribing to Foxtel mainly for sport and that NRL and AFL are the major drivers of that. Period!

To suggest anything else is just wank. Just like you posts on this topic.
Quality stuff, getting so frustrated you resort to personal attacks.

To address your proposition, if NRL and AFL drove subscriptions and attracted viewership in summer, you may have a point. They don't - and don't need to because they have the cricket - internationals and BBL - driving subscriptions (and to a lesser extent, the A-League).

A few of us hardcore fans on here might be hanging out for some content but on the whole I think you're overestimating what's needed.

To be fair, a list of memorable games by club over its history will not change much from one year to the next, but there are many other games which could be shown, as many have said, given the rich library at Fox's disposal.

To answer another question posed, why not show more games? Umm because it's easier not to....?

With that said, a mate of mine used to work at Fox Sports, in the 2012/13 off-season, he got in touch to ask if I could remember notable games for each club. So at least in that off-season, there was some work done on finding new classic games to show.

I also once asked him why they never show games from 1997 Super League season. He didn't have an answer, except to say the tapes existed. There's some games from that season I, and I'm sure many others here, would be interested in seeing again. No doubt there's a tonne more (one comes to mind as a Tigers supporter, the 2005 semi-final v. Brisbane - I can't recall this ever being replayed as a classic game).
I'm positive at least one or two 1997 games from both comps have appeared during the club days over the last couple of months.

Monday Roast

Juniors
I'm positive at least one or two 1997 games from both comps have appeared during the club days over the last couple of months.

A fair few ARL games from that season, but no Super League games (ever). Not even the Grand Final, and they played every other one from 78 (?) onwards

roofromoz

First Grade
To be fair, a list of memorable games by club over its history will not change much from one year to the next, but there are many other games which could be shown, as many have said, given the rich library at Fox's disposal.

To answer another question posed, why not show more games? Umm because it's easier not to....?

With that said, a mate of mine used to work at Fox Sports, in the 2012/13 off-season, he got in touch to ask if I could remember notable games for each club. So at least in that off-season, there was some work done on finding new classic games to show.

I also once asked him why they never show games from 1997 Super League season. He didn't have an answer, except to say the tapes existed. There's some games from that season I, and I'm sure many others here, would be interested in seeing again. No doubt there's a tonne more (one comes to mind as a Tigers supporter, the 2005 semi-final v. Brisbane - I can't recall this ever being replayed as a classic game).

FWIW the Panthers Essential DVD box set has 2 matches from the 1997 Super League season - the one point win at Penrith Stadium v Brisbane and the week 1 finals win v Canterbury at Belmore.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Super League games have not been replayed on Fox League. Since they've aired all the grand finals in GF week (going back to 2009 I believe), they have never shown the 1997 SL final. It's always avoided.

siv

First Grade
Im not sure how they devide w b at games are played and who chooses them

Before we had a League channell Fox ran club days. They put together around 8 games per club. I think this happened 5-7 years ago

Now this year we have seen a good showing of 2018

But prior to 2010 games I only saw 1 extra game for my club which only came up in the season view then disappeared for the club days

These were the same games that appeared last year and the year before when didnt have a dedicated League channel

But how many times can you watch the same episode of your favourite TV show ?

I am only a 2 to 3 repeats person and will binge record and binge watch my favourite series over a weekend

So 2 weekends into the summer I had already seen every game they were showing

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quality stuff, getting so frustrated you resort to personal attacks.

To address your proposition, if NRL and AFL drove subscriptions and attracted viewership in summer, you may have a point. They don't - and don't need to because they have the cricket - internationals and BBL - driving subscriptions (and to a lesser extent, the A-League).

A few of us hardcore fans on here might be hanging out for some content but on the whole I think you're overestimating what's needed.

I reckon it’s much more likely that, like me, most people,are subscribers due to the code they follow but can’t be arsed to cancel for three months. If I could switch it off and on at Will my subscription would have been cancelled the day after the last test match and been switched back on this weekend. Hopefully one day the nrl digital thing comes off and I have a new tv where I can subscribe directly to the sports I want, Netflix and Stan and save myself a fortune on Fox subscritpion!

Timmah

Staff member
I reckon it’s much more likely that, like me, most people,are subscribers due to the code they follow but can’t be arsed to cancel for three months. If I could switch it off and on at Will my subscription would have been cancelled the day after the last test match and been switched back on this weekend. Hopefully one day the nrl digital thing comes off and I have a new tv where I can subscribe directly to the sports I want, Netflix and Stan and save myself a fortune on Fox subscritpion!
The ratings for fox Cricket suggest otherwise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ratings for fox Cricket suggest otherwise.

Not sure how that proves anything? I watched a bbl game the other night but I subscribe only because of RL. No RL no subscriptiion from me. I certainly wouldn’t pay 3 months of subscription for the cricket.

Reactions: Vee

Timmah

Staff member
Not sure how that proves anything? I watched a bbl game the other night but I subscribe only because of RL. No RL no subscriptiion from me. I certainly wouldn’t pay 3 months of subscription for the cricket.
Wait, so viewing figures mean nothing and we need to go off your anecdotal evidence of you, and you only?

If 250-300K are watching cricket, it seems fairly obvious that it's an attraction in its own right (particularly given it's simulcast on 7 most of the time).

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, viewing figures prove nothing in regards to subscription drivers. There is a difference.
Maybe those 60-200k viewers watching cricket are mostly made up of AFL and NRL subscribers tuning in because there is nothing worth watching on the channels they actually subscribed for?

I may be unique in this, but I suspect not.

Reactions: siv

Timmah

Staff member
No, viewing figures prove nothing in regards to subscription drivers. There is a difference.
Maybe those 60-200k viewers watching cricket are mostly made up of AFL and NRL subscribers tuning in because there is nothing worth watching on the channels they actually subscribed for?

I may be unique in this, but I suspect not.
They prove far more than you musing about it lol.

Unless you have data from Fox on subscription drivers, I'm not sure you've got anything to back your assertion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They prove far more than you musing about it lol.

Unless you have data from Fox on subscription drivers, I'm not sure you've got anything to back your assertion.

nor do you, that's the beauty of opinion based discussions!
You could look at the viewing figures for AFL and NRL channels during season v off season, and if there isnt a massive drop off in subscriptions in the off season, make a hypothetical that those fans are still watching something but as nothing on their own channels are tuning into others like cricket. Until you can easily flick your subscription on and off we will never know.

Timmah

Staff member
nor do you, that's the beauty of opinion based discussions!
You could look at the viewing figures for AFL and NRL channels during season v off season, and if there isnt a massive drop off in subscriptions in the off season, make a hypothetical that those fans are still watching something but as nothing on their own channels are tuning into others like cricket. Until you can easily flick your subscription on and off we will never know.
The viewing figures for Fox's Footy and League channels during the off-season are so negligible that no programs ever make the top 20.

That suggests very few people if any are watching Foxtel for NRL or AFL purposes during the off-season. Even live early-morning ESL matches didn't crack top 20 on the weekend just gone.

You can't just dismiss the huge audiences for the cricket "because NRL and AFL fans want something to watch during the off-season". That's an assumption you have no basis for and makes no sense when people are watching the cricket in such large numbers.

Basically - just because you think NRL and AFL fans are the only subscription drivers, doesn't make it true.

nrlnrl

First Grade
The viewing figures for Fox's Footy and League channels during the off-season are so negligible that no programs ever make the top 20.

That suggests very few people if any are watching Foxtel for NRL or AFL purposes during the off-season. Even live early-morning ESL matches didn't crack top 20 on the weekend just gone.

You can't just dismiss the huge audiences for the cricket "because NRL and AFL fans want something to watch during the off-season". That's an assumption you have no basis for and makes no sense when people are watching the cricket in such large numbers.

Basically - just because you think NRL and AFL fans are the only subscription drivers, doesn't make it true.
Good point. I drift in & out, only occasionally watching Fox League during the off season. I recorded the 3 ESL games over the weekend, but haven't found time to watch them yet.

During December & January, a lot of people are on holidays & just want to escape from watching tv at home. I think the most I've watched Fox League was looking at random games that were on at pubs or clubs.

Timmah

Staff member
Good point. I drift in & out, only occasionally watching Fox League during the off season. I recorded the 3 ESL games over the weekend, but haven't found time to watch them yet.

During December & January, a lot of people are on holidays & just want to escape from watching tv at home. I think the most I've watched Fox League was looking at random games that were on at pubs or clubs.
I've had it on for background noise some days but never really for a dedicated watching. More often than not during summer my TV is on Fox Cricket or the occasional A-League game

siv

First Grade
One other turn off

Was the difficulty in knowing when my team was being shown

Bar 2018

On my IQ I had to click on every single game during the week to see who was playing

It became very cumbersome