What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season Fox League Report Card

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yes gave up on using the IQ and reverted to a web page lookup

I never need to use the web page option when I set the weeks recording

We just need a better short name description for old matches

Eg 1999 Rd02 MW @ CB
That might suit the handful of nerds who love footy and know each team, but it needs to cater to the wider public. won't happen

One thing about having a 'Magazine" style show during the off season, is what real content are you going to have to put in it? Firstly many league journos have a break after the Grand Final, unless there are rep games to cover. Hence many of them are out for a few weeks just recuperating.

At the same time, barring any end of season rep games, most of the players are on holidays until early November which is when most clubs start pre-season training. Much of that training is straight physical work at first, and a number of clubs have started going away on camps and what have you. They don't invite the media to those things.

Then when you get to Christmas, that is when many football club staff take their holidays. So the off field support staff in the marketing and membership areas, which is where the media usually go to as contact points, there is no one there as they are on holidays for 2-3 weeks.

Also, if there were end of season repo games, many of the players involved in them won't resume club training till mid-January or so. As such they aren't available for the media.

Add all that up and it does not surprise me there is no such show to be honest.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
One thing about having a 'Magazine" style show during the off season, is what real content are you going to have to put in it? Firstly many league journos have a break after the Grand Final, unless there are rep games to cover. Hence many of them are out for a few weeks just recuperating.

At the same time, barring any end of season rep games, most of the players are on holidays until early November which is when most clubs start pre-season training. Much of that training is straight physical work at first, and a number of clubs have started going away on camps and what have you. They don't invite the media to those things.

Then when you get to Christmas, that is when many football club staff take their holidays. So the of field support staff in the marketing and membership areas, which is where the media usually go to as contact points, there is no one there as they are on holidays for 2-3 weeks.

Also, if there were end of season repo games, many of the players involved in them won't resume club training till mid-January or so. As such they aren't available for the media.

Add all that up and it does not surprise me there is no such show to be honest.
Exactly my thoughts on that particular aspect. Maybe I don't follow many sports but I don't know how many actually have active off-season content on TV - I'm fairly sure A-League and AFL don't.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NFL does but they have the draft to keep them occupied.

In regards to content they could be discussing:

The on off on off international calendar
Player movements in the off season
pre season predictions for clubs
the International RLWC qualifiers and other games that have been happening
The off field issues (lets face it there is enough content in that this off season for a nightly show!)
How the game is developing across the country and NZ with some spotlight features on clubs and state comps below the NRL, interviews with State CEO's etc, features on new start up clubs in AFL territories etc
Individual player interviews
Pre season camp reporting
SL has now kicked off so could do a summary of the weeks games
Discussions on stadia developments
Some fan debate about game day experiences and how to get more people to games
A fun membership challenge section pitting clubs against each other for membership growth
pre season games coverage
build up the pre season big events like the all stars game

That is off top of my head in 2mins. Pretty sure it wouldnt be hard to develop enough content for a once or twice weekly show. Even if it only started in January and built to season launch it would be something

Stallion

First Grade
Noticed the FOX 500 sports news text results /news(at bottom of screen) refer to our code as "LEAGUE " & Union as "RUGBY XV" Wondering if they can fit "Rugby league " on the screen? Or even refer to our code as "RUGBY X111" ? Perhaps people will work out the difference or at least enquire? As it stands "LEAGUE" could mean/refer to various things. (especially to neutrals&other nationalities)Not good for our codes exposure or identity in the market place for mine. And as stated in other threads a demeaning and subservient referencing of our code in action.

Noticed the FOX 500 sports news text results /news(at bottom of screen) refer to our code as "LEAGUE " & Union as "RUGBY XV" Wondering if they can fit "Rugby league " on the screen? Or even refer to our code as "RUGBY X111" ? Perhaps people will work out the difference or at least enquire? As it stands "LEAGUE" could mean/refer to various things. (especially to neutrals&other nationalities)Not good for our codes exposure or identity in the market place for mine. And as stated in other threads a demeaning and subservient referencing of our code in action.

Mate Foxtel only care about their own branding. I mean all rugby league is broadcast on channel 502 which is named "Fox League". As such I doubt they will change.

Stallion

First Grade
Mate Foxtel only care about their own branding. I mean all rugby league is broadcast on channel 502 which is named "Fox League". As such I doubt they will change.

Should be FOX RUGBY LEAGUE at least. It's a poor reference to our code. It's worth noting. Seems to me Union are getting preferential status and treatment in naming for sure. To me and others It's not right! Just another "jab" at this football code that is seemingly not being addressed.

Timmah

Staff member
Should be FOX RUGBY LEAGUE at least. It's a poor reference to our code. It's worth noting. Seems to me Union are getting preferential status and treatment in naming for sure. To me and others It's not right! Just another "jab" at this football code that is seemingly not being addressed.
Channel names need to be practical. Fox League is short and simple, same as Fox Cricket and Fox Footy. Anything longer than that is impractical.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mate, seriously, stop.

It's not a jab at anything. Business and Media will always try and make names for products etc shorter. Everyone knows that League = Rugby League. It's marketing only and nothing more.

Repression does exist, but not everywhere and not in everything.

Stallion

First Grade
Mate, seriously, stop.

It's not a jab at anything. Business and Media will always try and make names for products etc shorter. Everyone knows that League = Rugby League. It's marketing only and nothing more.

Repression does exist, but not everywhere and not in everything.

We differ on this one. This is fundamental. Hope you guys can see the point? I also acknowledge that your website is called "League unlimited " which maybe better named but I can see this name has worked for alliteration purposes I figure? But the naming of rugbyleague is important in the general scheme of things, especially for international recognition. Think it's a valid point. Plenty of other contributors agreed with this stance on another thread a while ago.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's an entirely moot point though mate.

A channel that contains 24x7 Rugby League being called Fox League isn't a sign of anything negative.

Besides, Rugby Union used Rugby first.

Serious question here.
You have to pick one

Fox Sports' dedicated Rugby League channel should be called:

A. Fox League
B. Fox Rugby

These are the only options available. Which would you prefer, A or B?

typicalfan

Coach
Fox League is the perfect blend of a simple naming concept and a good way day for Fox to brand Rugby league in its own way as it has always wanted to do.

If you want the great coverage, dedicated channel and all the good stuff you need to sell your soul a little.

Stallion

First Grade
It's an entirely moot point though mate.

A channel that contains 24x7 Rugby League being called Fox League isn't a sign of anything negative.

Besides, Rugby Union used Rugby first.

Serious question here.
You have to pick one

Fox Sports' dedicated Rugby League channel should be called:

A. Fox League
B. Fox Rugby

These are the only options available. Which would you prefer, A or B?

I would choose Fox League provided that if a union channel was created that this would be called FOX UNION. I'm also concerned at the innapropriate referring to each code that exists in alot of mainstream media,particularly FOX. My take on it is : Rugby league & Rugby union, In text : Rugby X111 & RUGBY XV or general discussion League & Union. And when rugby league broke away from rugby union in northern England, the northerners still called it RUGBY. So I wouldn't give union the preeminent position you suggest. For all we know it could have been genuine "Rugby "people that broke away from a despotic sports regime that didn't look after its participants in union. Just because this tyrant of a code in union is trying to "own" the name doesn't mean we bend backwards to accomodate their wishes! ? After all think we all agree that union has been acting despicably behind the scenes against rugby league worldwide. So the naming of our code is important and should not be taken lightly. I grew up with rugbyleague being called footy and rugby union was always "union". This misnomer tact has come to greater prominence over the past twenty years. Something that should be noted and hopefully addressed as best we can. Otherwise Rugby league will be seen as subservient to rugby union and hidden in not being seen as a rugby option for those whom would not know any different.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Fox League is the perfect blend of a simple naming concept and a good way day for Fox to brand Rugby league in its own way as it has always wanted to do.

If you want the great coverage, dedicated channel and all the good stuff you need to sell your soul a little.

Would not say it's the perfect blend. Others have agreed that FOX RUGBY LEAGUE or FOX RUGBY X111 would be more accurate , especially for people not aware of rugby league being known as League . In stating this if FOX created a union channel and called it FOX UNION I would have absolutely no issue with FOX LEAGUE.

Last edited: