What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season Fox League Report Card

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would choose Fox League provided that if a union channel was created that this would be called FOX UNION. I'm also concerned at the innapropriate referring to each code that exists in alot of mainstream media,particularly FOX. My take on it is : Rugby league & Rugby union, In text : Rugby X111 & RUGBY XV or general discussion League & Union. And when rugby league broke away from rugby union in northern England, the northerners still called it RUGBY. So I wouldn't give union the preeminent position you suggest. For all we know it could have been genuine "Rugby "people that broke away from a despotic sports regime that didn't look after its participants in union. Just because this tyrant of a code in union is trying to "own" the name doesn't mean we bend backwards to accomodate their wishes! ? After all think we all agree that union has been acting despicably behind the scenes against rugby league worldwide. So the naming of our code is important and should not be taken lightly. I grew up with rugbyleague being called footy and rugby union was always "union". This misnomer tact has come to greater prominence over the past twenty years. Something that should be noted and hopefully addressed as best we can. Otherwise Rugby league will be seen as subservient to rugby union and hidden in not being seen as a rugby option for those whom would not know any different.
Northern England still calls the League game Rugby.

But Fox League isn't in England, so again, that's a pointless argument.

Rugby League and Rugby Union both dropping the word 'Rugby' from their title does NOT, in any way, WHATSOEVER, make League subservient. You cannot prove that. It is opinion and a very poorly constructed and ill-informed one.

Fox made the decision for marketing purposes, not because Union is trying to own the word Rugby.

The entirety of your post is nothing more than outrage-seeking rhetoric. No one, League or Union, owns the word Rugby and neither ever will.

It is common sense and logic that when two things have a similar sounding name that the most similar sounding aspect is dropped to help avoid confusion and add clarity as to which of the two is being referred to.

The game is still called Rugby League. Foxtel's decision is one not made to attack League or give Union a leg-up. To think so is delirious and absurd.

You need to step back, realise and accept that you are wrong occasionally. This is one of those times.

And please, for your own sake, in the future, don't ever try and make your comments more legitimate by saying crap that no one can prove such as "I know plenty of people who agree with me." It sounds desperate and if anything, it weakens your argument instead of supporting it, because you have to make up an unproven fact to try and give your comments legitimacy.

Random usernames on the internet don't give a toss about unverified people who you claim agree with you, if their comments have not been seen or heard from them personally.

It doesn't matter if it's true or not. The point is, it's unverifiable which makes it appear like a lie more than truth.

Finally. I've made my point. I know how hard headed you are and how unwilling you are to accept alternate views to your own or admit you might be wrong.

I'm moving on from this discussion. Please reconsider your stance here because I guarantee you, you are way off the mark.

Stallion

First Grade
Northern England still calls the League game Rugby.

But Fox League isn't in England, so again, that's a pointless argument.

Rugby League and Rugby Union both dropping the word 'Rugby' from their title does NOT, in any way, WHATSOEVER, make League subservient. You cannot prove that. It is opinion and a very poorly constructed and ill-informed one.

Fox made the decision for marketing purposes, not because Union is trying to own the word Rugby.

The entirety of your post is nothing more than outrage-seeking rhetoric. No one, League or Union, owns the word Rugby and neither ever will.

It is common sense and logic that when two things have a similar sounding name that the most similar sounding aspect is dropped to help avoid confusion and add clarity as to which of the two is being referred to.

The game is still called Rugby League. Foxtel's decision is one not made to attack League or give Union a leg-up. To think so is delirious and absurd.

You need to step back, realise and accept that you are wrong occasionally. This is one of those times.

And please, for your own sake, in the future, don't ever try and make your comments more legitimate by saying crap that no one can prove such as "I know plenty of people who agree with me." It sounds desperate and if anything, it weakens your argument instead of supporting it, because you have to make up an unproven fact to try and give your comments legitimacy.

Random usernames on the internet don't give a toss about unverified people who you claim agree with you, if their comments have not been seen or heard from them personally.

It doesn't matter if it's true or not. The point is, it's unverifiable which makes it appear like a lie more than truth.

Finally. I've made my point. I know how hard headed you are and how unwilling you are to accept alternate views to your own or admit you might be wrong.

I'm moving on from this discussion. Please reconsider your stance here because I guarantee you, you are way off the mark.

One point that is incorrect, and I'm determined not hard headed! At no stage did I suggest union was dropping the use of "rugby". I'm glad that you agree that "rugby " should apply to both however as stated FOX and general media have been referring to Union as "Rugby" which does exclude Rugby league from such a naming status. It's a fair point and worth noting. I'm aware you may think this is a mute point however I'm thinking this is important in the big scheme of things for rugby league's universal recognition. Like I've stated should FOX create a channel called FOX UNION I would have no issues with the FOX LEAGUE name whatsoever.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mate you are being obtusely petty about this whole thing. You are arguing over something that is so entirely irrelevant.

And you are definitely hard-headed.

Stallion

First Grade
Mate you are being obtusely petty about this whole thing. You are arguing over something that is so entirely irrelevant.

And you are definitely hard-headed.

Lol. I like to call it determined! And it's essentially about fairness in referencing . I do note it's widespread. It's a fair point. Just think things could and should be better. We acknowledge it's a struggle for this code and this is just one of those things that make it that much harder in the big scheme of things. Not trying to be rude. Just putting out a valid criticism and observation that may not necessarily be sighted by some.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The frequency and veracity with which you put it out may be why people oppose you so much. It doesn't need to form part of nearly every discussion you partake in. And this is now way off-topic as a result.

Stallion

First Grade
The frequency and veracity with which you put it out may be why people oppose you so much. It doesn't need to form part of nearly every discussion you partake in. And this is now way off-topic as a result.

Agree. My apologies. Suppose it's something worth mentioning however as its controversial I'll cop the hit. However I think it's relevant to the way FOX covers rugby league . But it's also widespread in the media these days. So sorry for the observation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fox's primary drivers in winter are the AFL and NRL (and it's arguable they've got more mileage this off-season than any other from NRL too, even if it's negative). There's no way they prioritise union over league, no matter what your observations are. Without the NRL and AFL they don't have a subscriber. They could ignore union and it wouldn't lose them a dime.

El Diablo

Post Whore
channel 9 had two different Footy shows so Fox should have had two Fox Footy channels

you wouldn't have to be Einstein to figure out which one you were on

Stallion

First Grade
Fox's primary drivers in winter are the AFL and NRL (and it's arguable they've got more mileage this off-season than any other from NRL too, even if it's negative). There's no way they prioritise union over league, no matter what your observations are. Without the NRL and AFL they don't have a subscriber. They could ignore union and it wouldn't lose them a dime.

Fully agree. The referencing of rugby league and many aspects of their news coverage shows a less than favourable regard for referencing rugby league. Had rugby league not been such a proven ratings success, rugby league would not be given the time of day let alone the status of being called "Rugby " on a regular basis(as with the low rating union code) with the dominant code being referred to as "League ". Just a poor referencing of rugby league as a code in my opinion. Worth the mention.

Stallion

First Grade
A good day for FOX showing international rugby league! Noticed it was much more enjoyable watching the "play the ball with foot" test match between the Kangaroos and Tonga than the English superleague game(London v Castleford ) which had virtually no play the ball with the foot rule in action. The respect for the rules in the southern Pacific test far outshone the laziness and disrespect for the rules in the English superleague game.

Last edited: