What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our "New winger" Went Well Last Night!

ALSGI

Bench
Another 2 tries for one Alex Johnstone! He's going to look great on the opposite wing of Nene McDonald in 2018.

IMO Dragons will park Nightingale at FB next year for 12 months until one of Field or Dufty are ready for FG.

1. Nightingale
2. Johnstone
3. Lafai
4. Aitken/ Mann
5. McDonald

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

14. Field/Mann/Aitken
Hope you're taking the mickey.
We have Juniors that should be given first crack on the Wing.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Signing AJ would be detrimental to the development of our juniors, Herbert, Garrick ,Lomax, the easiest pathway us via the wing which he will occupy, fullback we have Field, Dufty and Marsters and he potentially blocks them as well if he takes the number 1 spot...
I agree that signing Johnston would be detrimental to the development of our promising juniors and our promising juniors also mean, that we have no need to sign Johnston.

mickeylane

Bench
Hope you're taking the mickey.
We have Juniors that should be given first crack on the Wing.
So you want to lose a world class back in Dugan and replace him e a couple of juniors after spending $2M in the halves - your definitely taking the piss aren't you? We are trying to win comps here not make the juniors feel good! if the juniors are good enough they will get a run...there not getting atm because guess why???
They're not ready and just guessing they won't be ready probably until later in 2018 albeit maybe Field could be ready for first grade...

saintsarealive1

Juniors
So you want to lose a world class back in Dugan and replace him e a couple of juniors after spending $2M in the halves - your definitely taking the piss aren't you? We are trying to win comps here not make the juniors feel good! if the juniors are good enough they will get a run...there not getting atm because guess why???
They're not ready and just guessing they won't be ready probably until later in 2018 albeit maybe Field could be ready for first grade...

100 per cent mickey lane agree with you.

A junior doesnt just get a gig...they need to show they are the best man for the job.

If they are... they will be selected.

Our nsw cup team and u20s are goung sort of ok... but they have both been whipped several times this year.

There are no good judges saying our juniors are future champions....other than some on here.

Not sure Johnstone is the right one though....i prefer a tough fast mongrel

Johnstone seems a bit soft... aka beale and aaron woods

Dragonslayer

First Grade

I dont think AJ is the answer.

However, if you had said we were chasing Curtis Rona, then I think the mood would be more positive.

Old Timer

Coach
Dugan a world class back now but not elite FFS I wish you people would make up your mind.
Please explain how with our current policy how we will ever find out if any of our lower grade young backs will ever be good enough?
It is because of current policy that Bird left and caused all the various threads and thousands of posts.
Did you ever post that Bird should have been given a go and that we should look to bring him back?
Well if you did it should not just be limited to Bird it should include all the promising juniors especially those that have played Jnr SOO and Jnr Kangaroos.
For the record Bird played almost exclusively in the forwards with us in lower grades but became a premiership winning and SOO centre so that just reinforces how little vision we already have and how buying outsiders at every opportunity will further narrow that vision.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Another 2 tries for one Alex Johnstone! He's going to look great on the opposite wing of Nene McDonald in 2018.

IMO Dragons will park Nightingale at FB next year for 12 months until one of Field or Dufty are ready for FG.

1. Nightingale
2. Johnstone
3. Lafai
4. Aitken/ Mann
5. McDonald

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

14. Field/Mann/Aitken

As a winger he is great but not as full back.
Play him on the wing get early ball.
And goodbye
But defensively he is a liability

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agree this.
The fly in the ointment here is not Nighty but Aitken IMO.
With Aitken as centre it basically blocks the development of our juniors, Mann and Field or even Dufty.
Placing Aitken as the #17 offers so much room to move.

Dragonslayer
Most definitely expecially if we don't retain mann.
Aitken of the bench can cover a lot of spots even 2nd row

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
As a winger he is great but not as full back.
Play him on the wing get early ball.
And goodbye
But defensively he is a liability
Samy
Mickeylane likes your post but insists we buy a defensive liability as so eloquently pointed out by your good self.
This place is getting nuttier by the day.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Samy
Mickeylane likes your post but insists we buy a defensive liability as so eloquently pointed out by your good self.
This place is getting nuttier by the day.

OT he to busy trying to come up with more bs .
So he has to listen to his sauces ( like the mole, tripple mmm and the telecrap) .
So him didn't read it correctly lol

hazzbeen

Bench
Warming to the idea Mickey and runs like a rabbit. Ordinary attempt of a tackle though.
If he lets in a try but scores 2 Id probably be ok . At the moment our backs leak tries in defense anyway . So with the speed he does have he might just stop some also ...

Old Timer

Coach
On the basis of your argument then we should never have lost Duges.
So are you advocating it is a mess?

mickeylane

Bench
Dugan was never worth anything more we were offering - we lost him fair and square what I'm saying is u can't replace a Dugan w an untried junior - u need to put some experience back into the back line. Johnston will come in as winger for next 4 years and a great finisher he is!

saintsarealive1

Juniors

You really dont have much comprehension old timer.

We made dugan a more than fair offer.

He wanted unrealistic money and strokes on his head

We pulled the offer when it went too far....too high....

You want to be like souths who resigned sam burgess on too high pmoney that they had to lose ben teo and others....look at them now!

Burgess is far better than dugan and souths are still at a crisis because they gave one player too much

Please comprehend there are budgets and a place where an offer has to stop

barry

Juniors
In a big way
You guys are underestimating Nightingale.

Although his not the quickest player he always holds his own and his safe at the back.

He brings the ball back well and he has a better passer then Dugan that's for sure.

Regardless I'm confident Field can develop into our fullback next year, if his committed and determined with a good offseason and some time in the gym he can make the 1 his own. I'm just concerned about his defense and under the high ball

ALSGI

Bench
Mickey, I'm not taking the piss at all but was hoping you were. You say would I replace Dugan with a couple of juniors - yes I say, if they're good enough.
We have a number of Juniors that I think should be given a go.
You said yourself that your just guessing they won't be ready until later in 2018. How the hell are you or anyone else going to know until they're given a go in FG. If they show promise in NSW cup and can handle it they should be given a crack if the opportunity exists. Players can lift at FG level, just as they could crash. Dragons just don't seem to want to roll the dice and give youngsters a go in FG.
You're suggesting we buy Alex, so when will the juniors get a go mate? Alex made his FG debut as a 20yo and went on to score a try in the GF that year - becuase someone gave him a go.
We need to look within before we look outside, develop our own champions before other clubs buy them at bargain prices like Bird.
I'd like to see Mann/Dufty or Field given some time at FB, and whilst we've just missed golden opportunities to see how they go in the last few weeks there will be more opportunities in the season.
But to go out and buy players like Alex is telling our juniors they should wait another couple of years or look elsewhere becuase there are clubs that will give promising youngsters a go.
Just plain stupid and shows Mary has no vision.

barry

Juniors
Then who is? Apparently all the talk is about Johnston.
I doubt Cody Walker will leave Souths, they'll sort his contract out, they need him.

I see no difference between Mann and walker.

If Mann can sustain a regular spot in first grade, build his confidence up I got no doubt he will be better then walker

Overseas dragon

Juniors
The Juniors are not ready because jetski and his keystone cops have no vision time you woke up