What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pangai Junior chooses Tonga

Clarkent

Juniors
Mad respect to the Tongan boys man... Hopefully they have some decent halves they're gonna struggle big time

Diesel

Referee
While origin is a draw card in itself for sponsors and fans and Australian players, there are a lot of PI’s running around that would rather play for their country. I think this is great news by TPJ. While origin has its place, this can only make international RL stronger

Walter sobchak

First Grade
While origin is a draw card in itself for sponsors and fans and Australian players, there are a lot of PI’s running around that would rather play for their country. I think this is great news by TPJ. While origin has its place, this can only make international RL stronger
I’m all for international RL and can’t stand state of origin but statements like this make me cringe. The overwhelming majority of Tongan players weren’t born in Tonga and just think it would be better if we say that they want to play for their heritage and ancestral home.

Clarkent

Juniors
I’m all for international RL and can’t stand state of origin but statements like this make me cringe. The overwhelming majority of Tongan players weren’t born in Tonga and just think it would be better if we say that they want to play for their heritage and ancestral home.
And here we go with the " not born in Tonga nonsense again" you do know in this era basically 80% or more of Polynesians live overseas... They're just as much Tongan as the ones born in tonga

Walter sobchak

First Grade
And here we go with the " not born in Tonga nonsense again" you do know in this era basically 80% or more of Polynesians live overseas... They're just as much Tongan as the ones born in tonga
A child of Tongan heritage born in Australia or New Zealand aren’t Australian or New Zealander’s???

magpie_man

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/3d6e25f692ce93db576b3c575ed99750

This is brilliant news!

TPJ, Fifita and Taumalolo have all now made public statements in 2019 committing to Tonga forever. They are building something special...

While I've always thought he was a bit of a goose, Fifita's post-game comments about playing for Tonga a few weeks ago we're legendary. That sort of thing, though small in itself, speaks volumes and has a roll-on effect for other young players with Tongan heritage and even others who don't.
He and 'lolo deserve huge props for putting prestige and congruity into the Tongan jersey.

flamin

Juniors
So why is your line in the sand more important than mine?
There is no clear line in the sand but there is a distinction that can be made. In the early 19th century Australians thought of themselves as British or Irish etc. Over time an “Australian” identity developed and now most Anglo-Australians don’t consider themselves British.

These players consider themselves Tongan despite being born outside Tonga in a similar way to the way early white-Australians considered themselves British despite being born outside of the UK.

In a similar vein it’s why many countries recognise the citizenship of a citizen’s children and grandchildren despite being born outside the country.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Nobody said they aren’t also Aussie or kiwi, it’s up to them. They may feel closer to one country over another or they may consider them self both.
I’m just wary of the past when islander players would only play their heritage teams when they where either just starting their careers or ending them using the Pacific island nations as stepping stones to Australia or NZ or even state of origin.

Matua

Bench
I’m just wary of the past when islander players would only play their heritage teams when they where either just starting their careers or ending them using the Pacific island nations as stepping stones to Australia or NZ or even state of origin.
TBF, what is wrong with that? Lets say a player knows he's about two years away from making the Kiwis or the Roos and he can have two years with his heritage team. Worst scenario the team gets two years of a player probably at a higher level than what they can field, and best scenario, while he's in camp he gets convinced to stay.