What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Leagues Club board sacked, administrator appointed

A furious Eels administrator Max Donnelly told News Corp: "It's outrageous!

"Why the hell do we have insurance?"
angered.gif
Welcome to the Eels, Max. No one's going to cut you an even break.

Micky75

Juniors
Still a safe bet you've more brains than Choc.

Choc Mundine - or Anthony Watmough? I use play footy against Choc Mundine, more than 20 years ago. I played in the eastern,south, balmain and st george region after boarding school and he carved most young players up. Just a fact.
I'm a little drunk at the moment because some relatives caused me some concern. F'n relos!

Given that Watmough has been insured by QBE (with both Manly and Parra paying the premiums) since they took over in 2014, they must believe the injury existed then. If they were that concerned you would think they would have done a full medical history on every top 25 player and then excluded certain players injuries from future claims.

I am with Mad Max - why the hell do we have insurance?

I don't think it necessarily implies that QBE thought that the injury existing at the time QBE took over the insurance. It does imply that they believe that the injury existed in some form at the time his Parra contract was registered. They obviously have a combination of documentary evidence and medical opinion that differs from what we are arguing. The insurer also relies on full disclosure by the insured. Could end up in court, but we haven't been too successful in that regard recently.

Gronk

Staff member
Gary works in insurance, i knew it!!!

I don't work in insurance, but have a fair idea on how the system works:-

Merkin: I'd like some insurance please.
Insurer: No problem, your premium with be a shitload of cash
Merkin: Will you pay up if I have a claim ?
Insurer: Of course, all our customers are happy. Haven't you seem the ads ? Lots of smiling faces.
Merkin: OK then, lock it in.

Merkin: Oh damn, I need to lodge a claim
Insurer: No problem, denied.
Merkin: WTF ?
Insurer: Yeah sorry <insert excuse from the manual> so yeah, denied.
Merkin: F**k you !
Insurer: <queue TV add with smiling faces> Next !

A large part of how insurance companies make their money is through investing the premia held for the interval between receiving the cash and paying out. When interest rates are low, things get a bit tight for them, and they pay particular attention to claims.

But at the end of the day, if you sign a bloke to a contract that extends well beyond the average age at which players leave the NRL, that bloke has a history of knee injuries, then goes down with an injury that has some relation to a prior one......there's going to be an argument.

Gronk

Staff member
TBH I don't get why we need to pay Choc anything. We have a 4 year deal for him to provide us with a service. Turns out he can't deliver.

If I grew bananas and signed a 4 year deal with Woolies and my crop died from fungus, would Woolies be obliged to pay me although I can't supply the produce ?

Players have it easy under their collective bargaining agreement.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
TBH I don't get why we need to pay Choc anything. We have a 4 year deal for him to provide us with a service. Turns out he can't deliver.

If I grew bananas and signed a 4 year deal with Woolies and my crop died from fungus, would Woolies be obliged to pay me although I can't supply the produce ?

Players have it easy under their collective bargaining agreement.

If you get injured at work then you are entitled to be paid out. Your example of the crops dying is completely different to if you got sick/injured and could not work.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Gary works in insurance, i knew it!!!
Not quite.

Don't have to be an insurance expert to know that Choc was pulling his bean if he thought that he would get a payout for his perennially dodgy knee.

As for Max, you pay insurance because at some point one of your players will actually have a serious injury that means they can longer play rugby league. Worse still, they may not even be able to walk.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
If you get injured at work then you are entitled to be paid out. Your example of the crops dying is completely different to if you got sick/injured and could not work.
Is Choc an employee or a contractor?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I'd be more worried about your dirty Eastern Suburb toff neighbours stealing them to put in their smoothies.

Chipmunk

Coach

I think we still have another year to run on this deal and the Funding Agreement would already be in place to cover next season, so I doubt Max will still be around to negotiate any extension after that

Having said that, if they'res a change of Government in the NT (highly likely) then there won't be any renewal of the deal to negotiate in any case.

Latest posts