What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Discussion

Ambrose vs Rollins has been very good. I was worried when Ambrose was injured and Reigns took over. I thought Reigns might have squashed him to get his momentum back after his World Title chase flop, which would of hurt both Rollins and Ambrose. I think Reigns' injury has been a blessing in disguise for those two, as they have excellent chemistry together both in the ring and on the mic.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Really like Ambrose, but I hope they don't try and force him too much. Didn't like his segment this week (although Foley was nice), it just fell flat for me. Didn't feel as natural as some of the things he's been doing recently, this felt forced.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
In which match?

Sorry missed this
During the Royal Rumble match itself, he was an official on the outside of the ring.
I'd seen this Rumble a few times when I was younger, but never made the connection.

It's easy to blame creative for a stale show, however the demand for fresh storylines after so many years of TV, and its regularity (imagine if we were still getting one episdode a week) would put huge strain on the writers.

That said, its what they get paid to do, they knew the job before accepting it so they can't be entirely blameless. They could do with checking out some wrestling forums and reading some BTBs. Granted the rosters may be different and alot of BTBs don't last too long, but if they trolled through them, maybe could pick up some inspiration. Not rip them off persay, but just see what some fans can come up with. Surely a paid writer should be able to match these, if not better them.

Bulldog Force

Referee
That's ok mate, I saw it on google images:

tve74570-19900121-1877.jpg

tve74570-19910119-1877.gif

mackdadday

Juniors
Really feel like they are killing the ambrose love already..two weeks in a row theyve dropped the ball with him.

nöyd

Staff member
anyone else watching the monday night wars on the network?

i hardly watched wcw so goldberg was always more of a novelty act to me - but to see that he was pretty much an average joe, albeit with a fair amount of athletic ability, who happened to get so famous by doing so little, blew me away.

the 6 minute match with william regal was painful to watch, and they only showed about a minute and a half of "highlights"...

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Watching it now, if he went to the wwe performance centre and debuted now, it would be interesting to see how he would go.

afinalsin666

First Grade
The best thing about the Monday Night Wars is the WWE unironically calling themselves out on the garbage they are dishing up these days. "Yeah the reason the monday night wars worked was it was unscripted and the wrestlers all got enough time to to really get to know their characters and to get themselves over." - said with a straight face, while they do the opposite of that week by week.

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Yep.

To be fair, the production values are cool too. Not only do they splice the action together real well, it's cool to see some old behind the scenes footage and news reels all put together in the one spot.

But the Goldberg doc was trash. It isn't hard to tell the Goldberg story - wasting time on a random match with Regal which mattered little in the scheme of things (when Regal was off his head), on calling him an Austin rip-off and using Gillberg as a false example of the WWF not feeling threatened by him is so incredibly misleading.

Heck, so was the segment of the crowd turning on Goldberg. I'm unsure where they got that segment from, but I know for a fact that it didn't happen after the Fingerpoke of Doom, which is what they tried to pass it off as.

Moreover, I couldn't believe they tried to blame the final nail on Goldberg for breaking the window with his arm. By that point, the horse had well and truly bolted. Fans still wanted Goldberg on top, what they got instead was Flair, DDP, Nash, Savage, Hogan and Hart. All old-timers.

Normally I don't care about WWE propaganda because I know what I'm in for but to see them stoop to that level over Goldberg was plain sad.

nöyd

Staff member
So Goldberg wasnt a one trick pony who just happened to come along at the right time?

Genuine question as i hardly watched WCW as i said

Big Pete

Referee
I find your thoughts really interesting noyd because I wondered how somebody who wasn't overly aware of Goldberg would view that documentary.

It basically confirmed what I thought it would.

I'll put it to you like this, when Goldberg hit the scene, he was a rookie inside the first year of his training with very little background outside of the Power Plant. However, he picked up on things - intensity, pose, charisma - that usually takes wrestlers years to learn and even then, they normally don't get it.

He also wasn't your typical hoss either. Goldberg was clearly into MMA and was one of the first to employ their brand of action into the wrestling ring.

The problem was, at some point, the other main event talent got into his ear, told him to slow it down, so he did so he became known as the spear/jackhammer guy.

But as evidenced by matches against DDP & Steiner - he was capable of a lot more.

So yeah, the documentary never really put the point of him being a ridiculously fast learner across. Or how the locker room basically corrupted him and taught him that he didn't have to try.

Sadly instead of showing he had potential they had to put across the Regal match which to be honest, would be like dedicating a segment of Cena's rise to some match he had against Dupree. Like, maybe a few people talk about it, it's a DVD extra at best but when trying to tell his story - it isn't a priority.

nöyd

Staff member
I find your thoughts really interesting noyd because I wondered how somebody who wasn't overly aware of Goldberg would view that documentary.

i was aware of him, after my brother and I got back into wwe just as Austin hit big, we used to flick over to tnt and watch a little bit of nitro before going out on Saturday nights.

We would see most of his matches (probably because they were never long) and anyone else from wwe that we recognized. And make fun of Disco Inferno.

But i was never aware of (and have never really cared about) the politics etc.

mackdadday

Juniors
I think Baron Corbin and Adrian Neville are going to go great guns in wwe. Charlotte too. would love to see some cross promotional stuff but keeping them under the NXT banner. A mini invasion to bring some more heat back to NXT and kick start a kind of war of words between the two brands. I think thatd really give NXT some extra prestige. Best hour of the week by far in the wrestling world right now. Been a bit underwhelmed by kenta so far. Hopefully we ll see him pull out a few decent moves at some stage.

As for Goldberg, i was watching wcw from his debut to his loss to nash when hall tazered him. The ovation and chants he got were second to none. His pre-match ritual plus the piro was great too.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I see Itami like a Cesaro type: easily capable of giving us a MotY, but only doing so when the story needs it. The story hasn't peaked yet, he still has a lot left in the tank. He will get better, especialy with Finn Balor coming through soon.

Big Pete

Referee
KENTA really isn't THAT good and considering a lot of his strengths don't comply in the WWE environment, I can see him underwhelming a lot of people.

Latest posts