What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

V

Vasilevsky

Nope. Don't feel the need to dignify this thread with response on Widdop, our captains playing ability especially when the OP has brought up zero valid points.

"Yeah, nah":cool:. I think we can agree that we hope Benji is out this Sunday. Let's see how Widdop goes with organizing the attack:sarcasm:...... Talk about going backwards in order to go forward...... It will probably be a close game but Dragons won't score any tries that don't come from kicks or Dugan or a forward using brute strength.

BrissyRedV

Bench
"Yeah, nah":cool:. I think we can agree that we hope Benji is out this Sunday. Let's see how Widdop goes with organizing the attack:sarcasm:...... Talk about going backwards in order to go forward...... It will probably be a close game but Dragons won't score any tries that don't come from kicks or Dugan or a forward using brute strength.

Now you see, this is how we know you nothing of footy. How many tries and try assists did Duges have last year? He will perform great at the back defensively for us.

And who exactly had our try assist from the weekend?

V

Vasilevsky

Now you see, this is how we know you nothing of footy. How many tries and try assists did Duges have last year? He will perform great at the back defensively for us.

And who exactly had our try assist from the weekend?

Yeah, nah:cool:, Dugan didn't score many and didn't throw the last pass for many but he was absolutely vital, instrumental, unmatched in getting the team in a good position to put on attacking plays.

Widdop had a try assist from an attacking kick last game. You know I have said over and over for some time that attacking kicks are the only thing Widdop does well. But you know I have also said over and over that alone isn't enough.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Yeah, nah:cool:, Dugan didn't score many and didn't throw the last pass for many but he was absolutely vital, instrumental, unmatched in getting the team in a good position to put on attacking plays.

Widdop had a try assist from an attacking kick last game. You know I have said over and over for some time that attacking kicks are the only thing Widdop does well. But you know I have also said over and over that alone isn't enough.

So he had a TA and 2 penalty goals and we won the game by 2 points. He also controlled the game and where the opposition started their sets. Hmmm. Something is flawed in your thinking.

As for the Duges, yes, he started the sets well and was defensively good, but added very little in the attacking quarter of the field. But as they say, defence wins games and he is probably the best defensive fullback there is but would rate pretty low for his attacking output outside his kick returns.

V

Vasilevsky

So he had a TA and 2 penalty goals and we won the game by 2 points. He also controlled the game and where the opposition started their sets. Hmmm. Something is flawed in your thinking.

As for the Duges, yes, he started the sets well and was defensively good, but added very little in the attacking quarter of the field. But as they say, defence wins games and he is probably the best defensive fullback there is but would rate pretty low for his attacking output outside his kick returns.

I thought the forwards did an absolutely outstanding job of getting on top of their bigger name opponents. Did Sam Burgess start at lock? If so, JDB (of course the opposing lock) absolutely smashed him (of course until Burgess really got smashed).

I thought Gareth Widdop's attacking or short kicks were outstanding. I thought every other facet of his game was extremely disappointing. To only run for 2 meters off the back of such an effort from the forwards is an insult for anyone but an average NSW Cup standard player.

Insofar as more subjective things which are very hard to rate looking at it from the outside like communication and etc, I can't really say but if it wasn't absolutely outstanding, Mary is an idiot for not hooking Widdop!

BrissyRedV

Bench
I thought the forwards did an absolutely outstanding job of getting on top of their bigger name opponents. Did Sam Burgess start at lock? If so, JDB (of course the opposing lock) absolutely smashed him (of course until Burgess really got smashed).

I thought Gareth Widdop's attacking or short kicks were outstanding. I thought every other facet of his game was extremely disappointing. To only run for 2 meters off the back of such an effort from the forwards is an insult for anyone but an average NSW Cup standard player.

Insofar as more subjective things which are very hard to rate looking at it from the outside like communication and etc, I can't really say but if it wasn't absolutely outstanding, Mary is an idiot for not hooking Widdop!

And this post is exactly why you are considered a troll on this forum.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
My thoughts on Widdop have been recently published and I agree almost entirely with Vas on the issue.

I had such high hopes when he signed and it may be that the hip injury he had in the season before he joined us took away his pace. In any event for a player commanding his salary and as a player who touches the ball more than most he just does not seem to offer a lot.

I was trying to think of a word that best describes how I feel about him and it would have to be "underwhelming". He just isn't that good.

Minh

First Grade
_74994391_021728376-1.jpg

:lol:

I wonder who let the trolls out today.....

saint.nick

Coach
By his standards, he was.

By the standards that should be expected of a first grade hooker, he definitely was not!

Ha yeah that's my point. Next thing we know we'll be throwing the red and white confetti when he throws a pass straight to a teammate's chest

BrissyRedV

Bench
Please articulate specifically. But please don't say "Yeah, nah.:roll:"

:lol: why should I spend time to research, present evidence and draft a reply? You miss the bleedin' obvious and blatantly ignore any presented evidence and facts and haven't as yet presented a reasonable argument. All traits that make you a forum troll.

Using a scale of 1 being pretty much useless and 10 being pretty much perfect.

# Ball playing ability ? 1 (If the enemy defensive line is 10 meters away, he takes 2 steps and passes and if it?s 5 meters away he catches and passes immediately. And that is all he does. Game after game.)

# Running game ? 0.5 (He never does it. Occasionally he runs around in a circle and then dives at the feet of the oncoming enemy defense. A few times last season he ran ?a little? (and I mean, a little) when someone made a break and Widdop was in support. The game against Souffs was so typical. The forwards dominated, JDB was outstanding and Widdop ran for a grand total of 2 meters!)

# Evasive ability ? 1 (I?m assuming if forced he can kind of step or swerve but I can?t remember seeing it.)

# Speed ? 3 (I know he is quite fast for a half but as he never runs the ball, he can?t score higher than 3. The only way I know he is quite fast was from when he took an intercept.)

# Long kicking ? 1 (I notice McCrone did almost all of that in the last game. I presume Mary lost patience and told Widdop to only kick down the middle of the field.)

# Attacking kicking ? 8 (as far as I can see it?s the only thing he does well but that is not even close to enough. I mean, it doesn?t come close to making up for his deficiencies.)

# Tackling ? 4 (He is a legs tackler which of course is no longer effective but is better than missing tackles.)

# Goal kicking ? 5 (This frustrates me. He appears to strike the ball quite well but I can?t remember the last time he got one from close to the sideline. He probably has but they are few and far between. Last week the penalty kick went in off the post even though the kick was taken from closer to the posts than the sideline.)

And some more subjective qualities:

*Composure ? 10 (I?m not exactly sure what his means but every time I don?t see a game but hear Gareth Widdop was ?composed?, I know it?s a code word for ?did nothing good worth noting?.)

*Toughness ? 3 (He doesn?t just hang an arm out in defense but given his refusal to run the ball or shoulder tackle, he can?t score more than a 3.)

*Communication ? 9 (I?m assuming that is the case. I know highlighted his communication in a pre-season interview. I took it to mean he can?t run the ball or ball-play so he is resting on something as subjective as this.)

*Leadership ? 2 (Too early to make a determination one way or another but it?s an insult to guys like Dugan that his captain refuses to go to the enemy defensive line with ball in hand.)

What have I missed?

I must say Vas I admire how thorough you are in your analysis.

What I find disturbing is your lack of objectivity in assessing Widdop.

May I suggest that you watch the semi Saints played against the Bulldogs last year.

Widdop is one of our best players along with Duges,Flo,Packer and Leeson.

You have thrown Mann under the bus without giving the guy a chance to prove himself.

Suggest you give the team the time to gel this season, before you begin launching in to key players.