What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

T-Boon

Coach
The Nines is a great promotion of open entertaining rugby league and is potentially a way to broaden the fan base - especially to kids who get bored fast. For that reason the clubs should be forced to send more of their stars (in which case more hard core fans will also watch and even more might travel) and it should be played in other places such as Perth, Melbourne, Wellington, Christchurch or Adelaide.

These guys that stay behind are just going to be practicing wrestling or push weights - neither of which promotes anything. Better to use their profile to boost the game.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Too harsh on DCE.

The easy way out is to jump on the bandwagon pops.

I'd love to see Thurston win a comp with Kane Linnett as his fellow half.

DCE has been down on form, no doubt. But there have been extenuating circumstances outside his control that have led to it.

Predicting a big season from him with an actual half supporting him.

Look how he played with Lyon in the 6 for a handful of games last year. And he is not a genuine 6 either!

Year before, Foran phoned it in. He was playing at around 40% capacity.

One bloke can't do it all. Just ask JT pre-Morgan/Coote.
The only 'bandwagon' I like is a Parramatta supporter ol' mate and I still think DCE is a weapon if not a captain. I'm also a fan of Linnett so don't take me too seriously when I say DCE should concentrate only on what he does best.

Imo a Ferrari needs to have no blemishes to warrant its expense, Lyon was a ratrod . . . Seagles need to find another to lead the team

and I must add I think Manly will go better this year than most people predict . . . without injuries of course

POPEYE

Coach
Thank f**k RL players don't need university degrees, Wiki playing in the 9's is reverse psychology that wouldn't work on anyone with above average IQ. What better way for Kearney to let his mob know who is in charge on the training paddock as well as the coach's box

Has to be some rev-psych in retaining Barba, does Holmes really need incentive to put in a full season of effort or are the Sharks hierarchy hinting they won't be intimidated by the Orr bros . . . pisspoor effort really, threatening Val with Barbarism is akin to holding a popgun to Danny Green's head

Could be a bit of 'more for me' in Scott's looking at offers but who's going to believe he wants to wear himself out running backwards at Newcastle. The last thing he needs at this stage of his career is to be a battering ram held up by weaklings

and I should add that if Brown holds his nerve he could turn Newcastle into a club that doesn't need to hire players with nothing else better to do . . . no need to waste money on players on the way down, show us what he can do with cheaper 'on the way ups'

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
You see, Trent's doing the right thing, his 9's are full of blokes that need to prove a point. They may not all be up and comers but they're in the same shaky boat as anyone showing their wares for the first time

Just for a lark I'd like to see Lawrence have a run on the Wing in the 13 man game, I miss Ribot and Grothe running amok and Brenton could do without the rough and tumble middle

Nice Beaver

First Grade
You see, Trent's doing the right thing, his 9's are full of blokes that need to prove a point. They may not all be up and comers but they're in the same shaky boat as anyone showing their wares for the first time

Just for a lark I'd like to see Lawrence have a run on the Wing in the 13 man game, I miss Ribot and Grothe running amok and Brenton could do without the rough and tumble middle

3 ex rah rah 7's players in the squad will help, Pops.

From the outside looking in it probably looks a pretty ordinary squad. But there are some goers in there.

And I think leaving out the superstars gives the 9's the respect it deserves......good for shits and giggles over a beer, but SFA meaning in the general scheme of things.

POPEYE

Coach
Don't get me wrong, I reckon the 9's deserve to be respected for what it can be, not for what is. As a trial the 9's are more worthwhile than Origin imo, providing the right people are tried. Unlike Origin they are not intrusive nor a threat to the Shield if they are seen as a showplace for new talent

I wouldn't mind having an enlarged 9's comp that ran like BBL Cricket for a few weeks, don't care if NRL clubs sponsor teams or not. RL needs new blood, the more on show the better and I don't give a shit if most players never play NRL . . . it's those that do who wouldn't have otherwise that I'm interested in

T-Boon

Coach
I wouldn't mind having an enlarged 9's comp that ran like BBL Cricket for a few weeks, don't care if NRL clubs sponsor teams or not. RL needs new blood, the more on show the better and I don't give a shit if most players never play NRL . . . it's those that do who wouldn't have otherwise that I'm interested in

This is a good idea. I'd consider suspending the NRL season for 4 weeks during State of Origin and in its place running a Big Bash style Nines competition - except unlike you I would have the stars (though obviously not the origin stars).

POPEYE

Coach
Now that makes sense, trying a new tack ol' mate? A 9's/Origin interval mid year would give all injuring carrying players time to recuperate. Of course no coach, or anyone else, in his right mind would force or even want to risk 'stars' so your idea of personnel would be overlooked but so what . . . fake injury claims would easily satisfy wankers who couldn't handle the truth

If Ch9 can sink money into the Rookie Titanic surely they could spend it more wisely on the Good Ship Nines. Can't see any reason why the comp wouldn't satisfy the Pacific Islands', and anyone else wanting to enter a team, need for exposure . . . what's the name of the new Canadian team playing in England

and wouldn't it be good to show the Rahs Rahs how it's done . . . or at least try

Last edited:

myrrh ken

First Grade
Excellent idea. Get some international teams - they's be more competitive than in a world cup. Make it like HK7s rugby. Also chuck in an indigenous side and a maori side. (Scrap the all stars).

Use it as a platform to get it up for a commonwealth games event then eventually an olympic games event.

POPEYE

Coach
Yes that's it, crikey I'm getting f**king excited at the thought of it, time for a tug . . . wish I had one of those twitter thingamajigs

T-Boon

Coach
I think most of the stars would actually want to play in such a competition. You are right a few of the older ones might take the opportunity to rest up. But even if you just had the stars in a squad and played them in small minutes off the interchange bench it would satisfy the fans and which ever TV network picks it up for a month. A good way to keep the fitness levels up. They could televise a double header each night.

T-Boon

Coach
Do you have an 'off' button

Yes,
It is at the bottom of a wild turkey bottle...but I stopped drinking this year and I started working from home so I am finding a lot more time for LU and it is only going to increase.

POPEYE

Coach
Go for it ol' mate, bump this thread as much as you like but I'm going to try to desist replying . . . methinks an antidote for TB is abstinence

POPEYE

Coach
Sowie talking of transfer fees so players like Hunt and Ponga can skip finishing contracts doesn't sit too well with me because it conjures up thoughts of more nasty ammunition for the media. Still, transfer fees could work imo if they were limited to players that have played for only the one club at NRL level

Hunt and Ponga qualify but Hayne wouldn't for obvious reasons, so does Tohu Harris who Kearney is trying to entice away from Melbourne. No sour grapes on my part because we all know Bellamy has no trouble replacing forwards, I might've been pissed off if the Warriors took Cronk . . . maybe not, what I would give to see the Warriors not being led by the nose

Anyway, if we have to have a salary cap at least let clubs get 'paid' for NRL players they create, Melbourne is one club that could make a tidy compensation for supplying players. The idea is to give other clubs the incentive to look for new NRL talent that if they can't keep for whatever reason at least be reimbursed for by way of transfer fees

Setting those fees however could be beyond an administration that doesn't know how a salary cap should work

POPEYE

Coach
There are many RL players with the same mindset of Anthony Mundine, not all with the same motivation or reasons but clearly more f**king trouble than they're worth. Hayne for instance is just too big a nuisance for any team I'm interested in, Roberts is Mundine mindset with different values, both with 'too hard basket' chips on their shoulders

Meehan is of the 'my shit doesn't stink' variety and the Bird that's flown the coup type of player is merely not worth the excusing. RL as a game may be a good deterrent for wayward juniors and good luck to all those good people who persevere with the fight to keep youngsters on the straight and narrow but NRL is not a f**king baby sitter

F**k the time wasters, there are other avenues for rehabilitation and self grandiosity for them to explore, there are too many promising RL players not getting the attention they deserve while we pander to idiots

T-Boon

Coach
Give me Hayne and Mundine any day over Bellamy. At least they have some personality and entertainment value.

POPEYE

Coach
Will be most interesting to watch the Raiders this year, Boyd should be 1st picked for NSW and others in the side should shine in Sticky's 2nd year as a good coach . . . shouldn't be any syndrome problems on his behalf

Aside from the usual suspects such as the 2nd best #9, the Leilua/Rapana combo and Whitehead the big interest for me is the Tapine mongrel and the promise Ottio brings. If the Winger from PNG realizes his ambition to cement a 1st Grade spot that would be as good as it gets imo

Latest posts