What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC TV Rating Thread

Billythekid

First Grade
Channel 7 paid just over $10 million for the RLWC rights.

On a positive note for the ratings for this weekend, Saturday's Quarter Final between Lebanon and Tonga has been moved from 7Mate to the main Channel in NSW, Queensland and Victoria. They should significantly boost the viewing numbers for that game.

It's certainly a good thing but they really missed out not having Tonga v NZ on the main channel.

Billythekid

First Grade
So over a million yet again for te kangaroos despite the huge blowout. Ratings should be massive against NZ next week as well as in be final. Hoping the other finals continue the good ratings.

Surprised how well the women's game rated. It wasn't actually that much worse than the cricket. Considering when the matches are being played and the total lack of any marketing basically I was expected rock bottom. Really hope the NRL are fast tracking the women's game. With the opportunity to play for Australia and travel overseas I see it potentially offering a lot over AFLW.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
It's an odd period. We probably have a rare chance to compare the national teams of all 4 footy codes with the Kangaroos, Wallabies, Socceroos and International Rules team all having played prime time in recent weeks.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So over a million yet again for te kangaroos despite the huge blowout. Ratings should be massive against NZ next week as well as in be final. Hoping the other finals continue the good ratings.

Hahahahah

Surprised how well the women's game rated. It wasn't actually that much worse than the cricket. Considering when the matches are being played and the total lack of any marketing basically I was expected rock bottom. Really hope the NRL are fast tracking the women's game. With the opportunity to play for Australia and travel overseas I see it potentially offering a lot over AFLW.

It always annoys me when people say "we need a womens NRL to compete with the VFL". Womens representitive football is already well established (Jillaroos, States, etc.), we are well ahead of VFL in womens football, we shouldnt be getting sidetracked just because theirs is a club league.

I also think rep football is the much better format for Womens RL. The format can be varied year-to-year and teams can be added, removed without any fuss.

Im guessing WVFL will fade into obscurity once the feel-good factor wears off. Womens RL has been going strong for a long time already.

Stallion

First Grade
Hahahahah

It always annoys me when people say "we need a womens NRL to compete with the VFL". Womens representitive football is already well established (Jillaroos, States, etc.), we are well ahead of VFL in womens football, we shouldnt be getting sidetracked just because theirs is a club league.

I also think rep football is the much better format for Womens RL. The format can be varied year-to-year and teams can be added, removed without any fuss.

Im guessing WVFL will fade into obscurity once the feel-good factor wears off. Womens RL has been going strong for a long time already.

I would agree that womens RL is improving. It still requires significant growth and better pathways. I know of a girl travelling to Sydney from Newcastle to play rugby league. Atm no local contact rugby league ladies local competion exists in Newcastle. Their is a side (North Newcastle ) that travels to play in the Sydney womens competition. A fair bit of work still necessary for womens rugby league. However the Leaguetag which has just been introduced (2 years ago) is proving very attractive for females. A female team features in all 8 district clubs and 2 divisions of 8 or more teams exist in the lower Hunter(2nd division) competitions.

Ari Gold

Bench
Nz v FIJI on 7mate beat International Rules!

The rlwc game was in a worse timeslot and only shown on 7mate which makes the result even more remarkable!

Funny how Channel 7 may be the future of international rugby league - they'll be loving this

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

The rlwc game was in a worse timeslot and only shown on 7mate which makes the result even more remarkable!

Funny how Channel 7 may be the future of international rugby league - they'll be loving this
Well they were the past, just unscrambling the last 25 years of Rupert rot.

RL seemed to be treated a hellava lot better by all the stations back them, suppose it's because they all had a piece of the pie in some way. The only station I don't remember having anything RL was SBS and that station didn't start till the late 80's anyway.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
De

Details please, thanks!

Billythekid

First Grade

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing but it looks like the 'AFL' match rated higher just.

Still the NZ v Fiji match had incredible ratings for a secondary channel not involving Australia. When you add on the NZ ratings that match would have rated very highly.

The Tonga match also rated well for a crap timeslot between 2 minnows.

Surely this must wake up both channel 7 and RL to the potential of international rugby league.

yakstorm

First Grade

Over 500K for NZ v Fiji is massive! International Rules did beat this game (as per below), however considering the League match was on a secondary channel, didn't involve Australia and went up against the News, they are impressive figures.

Emu01

Juniors
Did anyone else notice as soon as the Fiji v New Zealand game finished. Jim Wilson’s voice came on and said the international rules game is about to start on the main 7 channel now!

Virtually ensuring thousands of fans would just switch straight back to seven inflating the numbers for international rules by stealth.

Billythekid

First Grade
Did anyone else notice as soon as the Fiji v New Zealand game finished. Jim Wilson’s voice came on and said the international rules game is about to start on the main 7 channel now!

Virtually ensuring thousands of fans would just switch straight back to seven inflating the numbers for international rules by stealth.

It's not really by stealth, it's smart cross promotion. Same thing channel 9 does for the cricket during the league. It's just annoying that 9 doesn't also do the same for league.

AJB1102

First Grade

You saw something stealthy, I saw a public service announcement to avoid CH7 for the rest of the night.