What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters sign Luke Dorn

Parraren

Bench
What I can't understand is why Todd Payten (who was already having part of his contract paid by the Raiders) was suddenly told to find another club about a month or so ago because of salary cap restraints and now miraculously some spare cash is found to sign Luke Dorn? Not only that, Phil Gould was also lamenting on TV (as he often does) about the injustice of having to let a guy like Payten go who was absolutely devastated when told there was no room to fit him under the cap for next year. If I was Todd Payten I'd be a tad pissed right now.

Frenzy

Juniors
El Duque said:
A month ago they had no money for Walker either. Roosters and Waratahs say no to Walker

The only way I can see they got room is if Frenzy's guess about Manly signing a current Roosters player is correct.

I'm sticking to that guess too! :lol:

I also feel like being a tad naughty.

Who is the NRL salary cap auditor and which club did he come from? ;-)

Parra_Eels

Bench
an afl system would be alright i guess. it sure as hell is breaking up essendons 2000 premiership team. lost 1 match all year and now more than half that team is gone.

Parraren said:
What I can't understand is why Todd Payten (who was already having part of his contract paid by the Raiders) was suddenly told to find another club about a month or so ago because of salary cap restraints and now miraculously some spare cash is found to sign Luke Dorn? Not only that, Phil Gould was also lamenting on TV (as he often does) about the injustice of having to let a guy like Payten go who was absolutely devastated when told there was no room to fit him under the cap for next year. If I was Todd Payten I'd be a tad pissed right now.
One could assume that Payten was offered say $80K, he says Tiges offers $100, Roosters say Bye. Then comes Dorn, Roosters say $70K, Dorn says, anything to get out of Manly.

Net effetct, Roosters up by $10K. That wasn't too hard was it folks.

Frenzy

Juniors
No Catatonic_Omnivore that's incorrect.

Payten wouldn't of been offered anything. He already had a valid NRL contract from the Raiders for $120,000 I think.

Raiders release him and as he is able to get a start with the Roosters they are only now liable to pay 50%. The Roosters pay the other 50%

So the Roosters at the end of year 2 of that 3 year contract decide they now can't afford $60,000 on Payten. So Stuart gets him a gig at the Tigers under the old mates act with Tim Sheens. Now 3 clubs are liable to pay 33% each of that contract.

Payten is still into the Roosters for $40,000, they have saved only $20,000.

They have since signed Walker and Dorn with that $20,000????????

Assuming they are above board there is more money to be freed up. A retirement? A sale?

It's known Manly have signed someone from a club still involved in the comp. There's only 2 clubs left and hence my guess that the player is a Rooster as the Panthers have no one going. Could be a Panther though, but if it is how'd the Roosters get Walker AND Dorn for $20,000?

source: http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?ArticleID=6647&TeamID=14

cheese

Bench
It just seems an impossibility that they have managed to sign walker(even though the bulk is payed in 2005) and dorn, considering the way they hastily got rid of their star performing front rower mid-season in an attempt to stay under the cap!

I reckon you could be onto something frenzy with the possibility of a player going elsewhere at the end of the season..........And as for dorn .....i reckon he would have been signed under their 1st division cap

Disco

Bench
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Then comes Dorn, Roosters say $70K, Dorn says, anything to get out of Manly.
Actually Dorn Wanted to stay at Manly, but Hasler wants players who are not scared to make a tackle

Frenzy

Juniors
supersoniceagle said:
Manly have signed Chris Hicks from panthers, most people believe that he is the signing from a team still in the finals

Thanks. That kinda makes the plot grow thicker doesn't it?

Latest posts