What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 Game vs Newcastle

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Josh Dugan is such an inspirational player that the club will miss him sorely next season. I think Millward underestimated his importance to the club. Big big mistake and I for one am not looking forward to seeing him run out in a Sharks jumper. I can't stand the thought of it!!

Old Timer

Coach
If you just looked at the score you would think that mate.
But actually what happened was instead of trying to grind the win out in the first half like they should have they played stupid footy trying to score off every play, kicking on the 2nd etc and the knights put 5 tries on them.
Then the dragons came out in the second half and played with fire in their bellies! They went forwards before going wide and destroyed the hearts of all knights fans! It was great to watch.
Shame on Mary for not getting them playing a more conservative style of footy first half but well done Mary for what must have been a massive half time message, they were a different team.
Great comeback win!
Sorry Crush but I think you have discounted the first 15 minutes.
We attacked with great skill and co-ordination and got to 10 nil with little effort and there was no grinding involved.
We then became conservative and tried to be far too structured and we were thinking too far ahead rather than continuing to play what was in from of us.
Newcastle then did what I believe we should do "they chanced their hand" and it became very effective.
They moved the ball well and used their speed to attack and we found that very hard to counter and became disjointed in our defence and our lack of speed was exposed.
In the 2nd half we went back to attacking from the outset and it paid handsome dividends as they had to counter what we were doing which was "trying to score" and they became disjointed and we had a great second half as a result of that.
If you look at our games against the Eels and the Dogs they attacked us early and we never recovered and they kept attacking.
Today we started attacking and got away quickly and then we stopped attacking and played for restarts or field position and it started to turn to shit as yet again Mc Crone terribly exposed for his inability to do that.

Old Timer

Coach
Dugan and Packer were inspirational today (so was Frizz but he's not leaving) and anyone who thinks they are not putting everything they have into the game is fooling themselves and just being hateful.
The commitment and effort in putting their bodies on the line shows them as great club men and true professionals whilst ever they wear our great jersey.

Old Timer

Coach
Have just driven back home from Sydney ( left 5:30am, home now and settled, 5:55pm ) ........... haven't even read as to how we played.

Just looked at the score and came to the conclusion that we struggled to beat the team coming last, at home.

Am l right or wrong?

Are we that bad?
In short
1. We were brilliant for the 1st 15 minutes and attacked wonderfully well and with fluency (almost all down Widdop's side)
2. Mc Crone finally started to get involved and when we had a try begging he aimlessly kicked on the 3rd tackle and the momentum was lost.
3. Newcastle then went on a wild attacking frenzy until half time and spanked our arse well and truly with speed and improvisation.
4. During that period we sat back and let them run at us and when we got the ball we tried to be settled and played 1 out football instead of putting the foot on the accelerator again.
5. Half time came as a reprieve and stopped the bleeding.
6. The second half looked as if the players took the control of the game and decided that attack was the best from of defence and we went into overdrive played really well and our improved attack was like a shot in the arm for our defence which really manned up.
Those doing the defensive work will always enjoy it far more when the attacking players are getting their part of the equation correct.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
In short
1. We were brilliant for the 1st 15 minutes and attacked wonderfully well and with fluency (almost all down Widdop's side)
2. Mc Crone finally started to get involved and when we had a try begging he aimlessly kicked on the 3rd tackle and the momentum was lost.
3. Newcastle then went on a wild attacking frenzy until half time and spanked our arse well and truly with speed and improvisation.
4. During that period we sat back and let them run at us and when we got the ball we tried to be settled and played 1 out football instead of putting the foot on the accelerator again.
5. Half time came as a reprieve and stopped the bleeding.
6. The second half looked as if the players took the control of the game and decided that attack was the best from of defence and we went into overdrive played really well and our improved attack was like a shot in the arm for our defence which really manned up.
Those doing the defensive work will always enjoy it far more when the attacking players are getting their part of the equation correct.
McCrone just has to go. He is annoying to watch. We are playing under handicap each week and if you think about it it's like playing with 12men instead of 13.
With all that considered we are doing well to be where we are!

Old Timer

Coach
McCrone just has to go. He is annoying to watch. We are playing under handicap each week and if you think about it it's like playing with 12men instead of 13.
Yes it is like playing with 12 men and only 3 on the bench (Milne such a waste) and if I was little harsher it would be playing with 11 men because Nene is an absolute plodder.

Crush

Coach
Sorry Crush but I think you have discounted the first 15 minutes.
We attacked with great skill and co-ordination and got to 10 nil with little effort and there was no grinding involved.
We then became conservative and tried to be far too structured and we were thinking too far ahead rather than continuing to play what was in from of us.
Newcastle then did what I believe we should do "they chanced their hand" and it became very effective.
They moved the ball well and used their speed to attack and we found that very hard to counter and became disjointed in our defence and our lack of speed was exposed.
In the 2nd half we went back to attacking from the outset and it paid handsome dividends as they had to counter what we were doing which was "trying to score" and they became disjointed and we had a great second half as a result of that.
If you look at our games against the Eels and the Dogs they attacked us early and we never recovered and they kept attacking.
Today we started attacking and got away quickly and then we stopped attacking and played for restarts or field position and it started to turn to shit as yet again Mc Crone terribly exposed for his inability to do that.
It was a great fightback and I think they will take a lot out of this game. I think they were guilty in the first half of thinking that they could put 40 on them and win with ease. They should have just grinded away from the first set. Instead they threw the ball around and opened the game up, ultimately inviting the knights into the game and they showed us up in the 1st half.
Then the instruction went out from the coach to just complete sets and the points will come and they started playing some great footy.
Half time couldn't come quick enough.
I think they were lucky to get away with it today and should have been smarter, should have played tough defensive footy from the outset.
Still, great comeback win and a valuable lesson.
Next week Titans will be another good test.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
It was a great fightback and I think they will take a lot out of this game. I think they were guilty in the first half of thinking that they could put 40 on them and win with ease. They should have just grinded away from the first set. Instead they threw the ball around and opened the game up, ultimately inviting the knights into the game and they showed us up in the 1st half.
Then the instruction went out from the coach to just complete sets and the points will come and they started playing some great footy.
Half time couldn't come quick enough.
I think they were lucky to get away with it today and should have been smarter, should have played tough defensive footy from the outset.
Still, great comeback win and a valuable lesson.
Next week Titans will be another good test.
Yes it was good fightback led by our forwards who took total control and when they are on I think our pack is as good as anyone's. LAM should get a special mention as he stood up when Vaughan came off.

Yes it is like playing with 12 men and only 3 on the bench (Milne such a waste) and if I was little harsher it would be playing with 11 men because Nene is an absolute plodder.

How bad is Nene?
He looks like he puts no effort into anything he does, he jogs back for kicks and by not attacking that high ball and letting it bounce cost us a try.
He's gotta go.

Old Timer

Coach
How bad is Nene?
He looks like he puts no effort into anything he does, he jogs back for kicks and by not attacking that high ball and letting it bounce cost us a try.
He's gotta go.
He is just plain dreadful.
Looks like he is on "holidays" going for a bit of jog in almost everything he does.
His best work is a couple of dummy half runs maybe he should move to the forwards because he offers nothing in the backs.
Really good example in the 2nd half when he jogged back to pick up the ball and did a nancy run an then Dugan tore back for the ball picked it up unbelievably well on the run and then tore into the opposition with every fibre of his body.
Honestly it must shit Duges to tears to watch Nene's lack of commitment for a bloke with such a huge body.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
How bad is Nene?
He's gotta go.
Yes he is hot and cold and very casual
He does some good things and some very silly things.
I blame the coaching there

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yes he is hot and cold and very casual
He does some good things and some very silly things.
I blame the coaching there

I agree with this.
I think Nene's biggest issue is his appearing to jog back for a kick, but he does do some good things too and when he does put-in, like a couple of his runs today, he does make metres (refer to his try against the Roosters)
Surely the coaching staff can identify this and make adjustments, if they haven't, it's akin to allowing a child to stay up late to watch a movie, once done unless directed otherwise they will assume natural behaviour and keep doing it.
If you want him replaced then who with? KKFL? or should we just wait for Kiti?

hazzbeen

Bench
Not sure how you got that out of it mate? I think he was referring to digging deep at half time. They had to find out who they were after being down 18 points at half time? And they did. Big time. Excellent come back.
Crush Im glad you were happy with the the game , Im glad we got the 2 points , but mate we are really struggling at the moment and Mary is happy with the come back . We should never have been in that situation after leading . Listen to the conference again he even said when we go forward our halves play well . Sorry but McCrone has to go .How can Mary keep defending him, yea he tries hard but is not up to it . Need changes ..... Anyway hope your BBQ went well , I nearly choked on mine in the first half ....

Old Timer

Coach
I agree with this.
I think Nene's biggest issue is his appearing to jog back for a kick, but he does do some good things too and when he does put-in, like a couple of his runs today, he does make metres (refer to his try against the Roosters)
Surely the coaching staff can identify this and make adjustments, if they haven't, it's akin to allowing a child to stay up late to watch a movie, once done unless directed otherwise they will assume natural behaviour and keep doing it.
If you want him replaced then who with? KKFL? or should we just wait for Kiti?
I was dead against early on but Dufty should get a crack.
Absolutely waisting his time and is going to learn very little playing in that rabble called reggies.
So time to get amongst the big boys and do his apprenticeship on the wing as have many FB's before him.

Blame the coaching for a player being slow back to the ball? Harsh

Yes in that the coach should be able to rely on his players to be professional at all times and No
when a player consistently lacks urgency and appears lacklustre on game day its up to the coach to emphasise what he expects from the player and if the player continues to play without the necessary urgency/commitment the player should be dropped from FG.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yes we are.....when McCrone spilt the ball with only minutes to go and we were only ahead by a try I thought here we go they will score at the death and convert and we will go down by two........and your right he is annoying to watch, theres that many times he kicks early in the tackle count and comes up with zilch......another error in his game is when we are attacking he holds the ball to long and ends up throwing lousy passes to his outside men...thats fine if he draws the opposition but 9 times out 10 he doent...and iike his kicks he never learns from them....and I might add neither does Mary apparently