What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 3Vs Knights Saturday 18th August 3pm Panthers Stadium

He has had 3 linebreak assists in 2 games under Ciro.

He had 6 in 10 games under Hook. He is improving. In most areas. Our team isnt but his personal form is on the rise.

Two games against some of the weakest opposition in the comp. He should’ve done a lot more.

Honestly amazed anyone could think he’s improving.

TheFrog

Coach
To be fair martielang, that loss has been coming for weeks. We looked no different today as we did under Hook for the last two months. The sacking will obviously have impacted the players and distracted them, but what we saw on the field we have seen before under Hook. I agree, the tenacity was missing, but the loose, ill disciplined effort and directionless attack was vintage Hook.
You might as well blame Len Stacker as Hook. They are both ex-coaches. It is up to the current incumbents to get the team up. We were running equal 4th when the change was made.

age.s

First Grade
I'm fine with the Peachey at fullback situation, but if we're going to be putting on backline moves that resemble glaciers we're squandering his greatest strength and would be better off with Dallin there.

It's rearranging the Titanics deck chairs ofc. 2009 Slater wouldn't have saved us playing like that.

OldPanther

Coach
To be fair martielang, that loss has been coming for weeks. We looked no different today as we did under Hook for the last two months. The sacking will obviously have impacted the players and distracted them, but what we saw on the field we have seen before under Hook. I agree, the tenacity was missing, but the loose, ill disciplined effort and directionless attack was vintage Hook.

Cleary not able to create tries is where we were last year, when we had the worst attack in the NRL in the red zone. It was no coincidence that when Carty came on at the end of the season, things started to happen in attack, in spite of his other deficiencies, because he has the x factor and the vision. Cleary struggles with that unless we have created broken play and he can run into space. Ponga run to the line and did a perfect grubber that created a try. He saw the gap. Cleary doesn't see that gap. More importantly, he doesn't organise players with decoy runners so he has options to pass to, he just shovels it out the back.

Poor old Maloney was given heaps last week when he passed to Kikau and got him outside his man. "Just a standard halfback pass, nothing special", many people said. Is it? Is it really that easy? I would have loved to have seen that today......

The difference between Cleary and Ponga is one simple trait. The willingness to run at the defence. Ponga will get tackled constantly just running it but as he does he evaluates the defence and what the options are. He knows eventually a play will present itself. Cleary only runs at the line a few times a game. He seems to prefer to stand and pass. The defence slides easily and othing can happen on the esge.

Someone needs to grab Nathan by the scruff of his neck and remind him he's a big body with a good step. His ball playing and kicking will come off the back of that.

CCJohnC

Juniors
There is apparently a new offence called ‘fighting’ that carries only a fine for grade 1. McCullough was charged with it after throwing three punches and escaped suspension and was then able to play in the game against us. Our players should be charged with the same offence. Although it wouldn’t bother me if Tyrone May sat out a week. He was totally shit today.

Thanks for the info. .Let's hope its only a fine but we are Penrith not Broncos Roosters etc so nothing will surprise me unfortunately.

kinghippo

Juniors
I would love some big changes but realistically there can only be a few tweaks.

The players that are playing are what we have.

I would like to see some of the things that have worked for us in the past revisited.

I would try this team

Tamou Egan Leota
Yeo Merrin
JFH ( He was awesome as lock)
Cleary
May
Mansour
Peachy
Whare
DWZ
Blake fullback

RCG, Ellis Kikau CHN ( utility)

RCG to come on and stay on after 20 it’s not a demotion, he was epic of the bench.
Kikau on for Merrin to add impact after 20 or 30, stays on.
Forwards given strick instructions to do hit ups and quick play the ball only, no sideways crap.
No pushing offloads for the first 20 of the game.

Merrin is obviously out of form/ unfit but like Maloney we need to get him back to form somehow.
Merrin to sub JFH or yeo for last 20.
CHN played where needed.

Blake’s hands failed him this weekend but I think he would be awesome at fullback, a lot more opportunities to grab an offload and get some broken field play.
He played heaps of it in reserve grade.
It’s obviously risky but no more risky than Peachy.

Pomoz

Bench
You might as well blame Len Stacker as Hook. They are both ex-coaches. It is up to the current incumbents to get the team up. We were running equal 4th when the change was made.
I am not blaming Hook, but Ciraldo isn't going to change the way the team plays in two weeks. Hence, we still look like Hook's Panthers. If we want to play differently, Ciraldo will need months, not weeks.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I am not blaming Hook, but Ciraldo isn't going to change the way the team plays in two weeks. Hence, we still look like Hook's Panthers. If we want to play differently, Ciraldo will need months, not weeks.
Perhaps, but I was hoping with a new coach the players might just lift and show more commitment but clearly that hasn’t happened.

martielang

Bench
That Katoa double pump forward pass from dummy half did me. I was absolutely livid in seeing that. That indicates to me that this bloke needs some time in the Sydney Shield.

To be fair, I think Yeo over ran him (if we’re talking about the same one), I don’t think he intended to double pump he just panicked when he realised the timing was out.

martielang

Bench

Understand what you’re saying & I agree but if you replace a coach with 4 weeks to go, surely you’re doing it to get immediate results?

I also don’t think we would of played the way we did yesterday under Hook. His basic game plan would of been effective yesterday. If there was ever a day to play hit up hit up bomb, it was yesterday.